Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suggestions to help me sleep.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
kathrynlouise
kathrynlouise e2 Member 2364 forum postskathrynlouise vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2011 - 4:47 PM

I love Jeremy Kyle lol but hate porridge! As for vigorous exercise, that'll be a power walk home and see if daily i can reduce the time from an hour. Don't think drinking pepsi max helps Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Dec 2011 - 4:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JenniCh
JenniCh  932 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2011 - 4:54 PM

Try an audio book, works for me and have found many others for whom it is the only answer.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64362 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2011 - 4:54 PM

Quote: I have comments from several people that our album Sound of Flak Unbalanced helps them relax and get to sleep.

That's real chill-out music. Like. Wink

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2011 - 4:57 PM

Besides the suggestions for things to do, there are also suggestions as to what you don't want to do:

Don't watch TV or use the computer just before going to bed, don't read anything upsetting and don't do anything else that puts you in anything other than a serene state of mind, don't eat too much at a late hour.

User_Removed
13 Dec 2011 - 4:58 PM

Two things have helped me get a really good night's sleep for first time in many, many years.

1) I stopped using all sleep aids and switched to using Melatonin (this is a natural hormone that your body uses to tell you it's sleep time, don't double dose it though as you get opposite effect).

2( Better than that though has been spending a tenner on a few metres of black-out material from eBay. I hang that over the bedroom window and it blots out all light. First time I used it I slept in til 11am! I have to use an alarm now to wake me up.

kathrynlouise
kathrynlouise e2 Member 2364 forum postskathrynlouise vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2011 - 5:02 PM

Thanks for all the sugestions guys. I'm just such a day person, prob have got into it by the end and then the shifts change to 10am til 10pm. You have to love mr tesco, hes such a task master Tongue

f8
f8  109169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2011 - 5:10 PM

On arriving home don't go to bed straight away have a beverage (not tea or coffee) and a slice or two of toast, while your doing that read a paperback or woman's romantic magazine and do a crossword or word game,after you feel a bit more relaxed take a hot water bottle and go to bed and cuddle it, when you are nicely warm lie on your back and and blank your mind of any thoughts except nice ones of pleasant memories of holidays on a warm beach,walking through a wood with birds singing etc.
then tense your body muscles all over.
When you have done that start relaxing your body starting at the toes and working up the legs to the body,shoulders, neck, jaw, down the arms to the fingers, and lastly to the brain,continuing the pleasant thoughts.

It works for me,given time it will work for you.( the reading material was different for me,thought I'd point that out before some smart arse did)

Last Modified By f8 at 13 Dec 2011 - 5:16 PM
BigRick
BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2011 - 6:05 PM

Warm bath or shower and take a sominex tablet just before you go to bed. I sleep for 12 hours with one tablet. Smile

Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42310 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
13 Dec 2011 - 6:18 PM

Quote: Failing that turn the TV on watch 5 minutes of Jeremy Kyle and that should send you straight to sleep.
Cheers
GerryWink

That has worked for me when it was on about 2a.m. - much better than any sleeping tablet!!

Louise

polis_928tadw59

kathrynlouise, Forget about all those stupid suggestions posted above, INCLUDING MINE, just get home from work, hop into bed and think about nice things and people. It could be your favourite hobby, favourite food, or even your favourite film star, let your imagination run WILD. I can guarantee you will be fast alseep with 23.7 minutes.Grin And don't fantasise about a Geordie dwarf or dwarves, because we cannot answer the phone, - we are in rehearsals with Snow White for the coming pantomime season.TongueGrinGrinSmileWinkTongue

Jestertheclown
13 Dec 2011 - 10:30 PM

I used to work a week of days followed by a week of nights. I did it for two years.
The change from days to nights was the worst part. Finish Friday afternoon and back at ten on Sunday evening.
I used to get home about 9.00am. and treat the morning as if it was evening and I'd just done a "normal" day's work. A few beers, dinner and walk the dogs, I had two then.
I'd usually go to bed about 2.00pm or so which would equate to 10.00 or 11.00 in the evening for normal people and get up again about 9.00 to start work at 10.00pm.
I other words, I used to turn my day around. I never really got on with it but it worked after a fashion.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 13 Dec 2011 - 10:33 PM
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2011 - 11:05 PM

I had a friend who slept like a log.

one night he woke up writhing in pain and agony..

someone had thrown him on the fire... Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014682 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2011 - 5:45 AM

Drugs. Works for me.Grin

Went on a fishing trip to Labrador years ago with two friends.Sad We were flown in to a remote lake and a friend's old log cabin. We had a fine first day, and in the summer twilight of the north, we sat around a warm campfire drinking beer, and eventually rum. We were zonked when we crawled into our sleeping bags, which I don't even remember. I was awakened the next morning by Jim and Jay trying to stuff a 20 lb live pike into the sleeping bag with me. Who needs enemies? Anyway, that method works for sleeping.Wink

Last Modified By StrayCat at 14 Dec 2011 - 5:46 AM
kathrynlouise
14 Dec 2011 - 10:25 AM

Wide awake and bushy tailed, jezza kyle is keeping me awake Tongue

ccb
ccb  626 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2011 - 12:43 AM

My specialty, having wrestled with it for many years and gone through sleep studies, etc. I took Trazodone for a while but didn't like the side effects. But when I stopped it, I found it had "reset" my sleeping so that now, all I need is 1-2 Benadryls and a melatonin, both over the counter. No problems since then! Good luck - it is miserable not to sleep. A cheaper remedy is reading an old math textbook.
Christina

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.