Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Suggestions with new compact camera

Carrera_c 5 256 3 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2010 11:53AM
I'm looking at replacing my old Canon Ixus 900Ti, so I'm looking for a new compact. I tend to take my compact out at nights out and such where the SLR would be a little big. I've been looking at the Lumix LX3 and it seems like a really nice camera, only thing I don't like is it's very limited zoom. I'm not after a superzoom or anything, but it could be a little bigger. Anyway, I digress...

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a compact camera? The LX3 is about as high as I can go price wise, it's on Amazon for 320. So if anyone know's of any others that may be worth checking out that's within that price, please shout out.

Thanks,

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2010 11:57AM
I was recommend this camera and it is very, very good.
KatieR 10 6.2k 6
21 Feb 2010 2:47PM
I have a similar compact, the Canon S90 - it's not disimilar to the Panasonic in terms of functions - wide angle lens, shoots RAW, full manual control. The zoom is not huge, by any means, though. The image quality is excellent imho.

Here's Canon's own info: S90

It's around 300 now, from what I have seen.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
21 Feb 2010 4:33PM
I recently researched this camera, but in the end decided to go with a longer zoom. The ZS3 will become a classic.
Toonman 7 1.4k 2 England
21 Feb 2010 7:15PM
I have a Canon S90 as well. Love it. reccomended.

Adam
cantona43 e2
9 890 4 England
21 Feb 2010 9:15PM
I have a canon Ixus 980 IS (Black) it is a fantastic compact reviewed on EPZ

Review
Carrera_c 5 256 3 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2010 10:34PM
The Ixus 980 doesn't seem to handle the high ISO as well as the LX3 or TZ7 (AKA ZS3).

Like the look of the TZ7, and the zoom range seems to keep very good quality. That may be the one to go for.

Looked at the S90 when I checked out the LX3, but I found it a little too small and difficult to hold, if I remember correctly it doesn't have any grab handle or anything.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.