Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suicide picture in today's Times

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
5 Jan 2006 - 5:21 AM

Has anyone else seen the picture in today's Times which shows a woman in mid air after she jumped from a London hotel window?

I'm not sure what the paper is trying to achieve by printing the picture - most of can imagine what someone falling to their death looks like, without needing the picture.

It looks like they've printed it just because they can, rather than because it adds something to the story.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jan 2006 - 5:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Glamrox
Glamrox  9304 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jan 2006 - 5:24 AM

Not seen it but to answer

Quote: I'm not sure what the paper is trying to achieve by printing the picture

To sell more copies ~ its as simple as that.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139446 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2006 - 5:29 AM

Story here, but no pic on the online version of the Times.

I can recall pics of people in mid-air while jumping to their deaths from the World Trade Centre on 9/11. So nothing novel about this.

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jan 2006 - 5:33 AM

The sole purpose is to sell papers, telling us real news comes second and telling the truth and nothing but the truth too often comes third.

Sad thing is without the image a suicide is a none news event unless it is some one well known. Who cares?

LAF
LAF  111735 forum posts
5 Jan 2006 - 5:44 AM

Quote: I'm not sure what the paper is trying to achieve by printing the picture

Then why print any pictures of anything at all?

Visual media carries more immediate impact than print alone, it's that simple.

foxybrown
foxybrown  9368 forum posts
5 Jan 2006 - 5:47 AM

here we go again some one moaning about the subject of death and taste. so what if they printed a picture of some one plunging to their death? you dont want to see it then go bury your head under the sand, that picture of a woman falling will probably say a lot more than a thousand words.

sick and tired of this bbc style journalism where everything is nice and romantic, eg when talking about war they'll show images of fighter jets and men marching - you dont have to be einstien to work out its totally the opposite. i'd rather see the gruesome images of brains splattered over walls and guts strewn across the streets that is a real depiction of war and this kind of image is likely to change peoples opinions in a protest/campaign.

death is painful and nasty - i suggest people grow up and stop being so childish about this issue. next time they talk about death and war on the news they better put some pretty pictures of flowers and people hugging each other to not offend *sensitive* people like you

skeletor
skeletor  101643 forum posts England
5 Jan 2006 - 5:54 AM

Quote: Here we go again some one moaning about the subject of death and taste. so what if they printed a picture of some one plunging to their death? you dont want to see it then go bury your head under the sand, that picture of a woman falling will probably say a lot more than a thousand words.

sick and tired of this bbc style journalism where everything is nice and romantic, eg when talking about war they'll so images of fighter jets and men marching - you dont have to be einstien to work out its totally the opposite. i'd rather see the gruesome images of brains splattered over walls and guts strewn across the streets that is a real depiction of war and this kind of image is likely to change peoples opinions in a protest/campaign.

death is painful and nasty - i suggest people grow up and stop being so childish about this issue. next time they talk about death and war on the news they better put some pretty pictures of flowers and people hugging each other to not offend *sensitive* people like you

That's one point of view...I s'pose.

jimbo_t
jimbo_t  11959 forum posts England
5 Jan 2006 - 6:01 AM

The Times is slow, the good old sun had this yesterday!!!
Jim

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2006 - 6:02 AM

I have mixed views. In one way it feels like an intrusion of privacy, does it rob the person of dignity? In another it happened in a public space and it is news and part of life.

But what would the poor people left behind feel. Suicide often leaves them feeling bad, even if the did no wrong. Does this add to their burden.

Its a hard life impaled on the fence.

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
5 Jan 2006 - 6:10 AM

Quote: Here we go again some one moaning about the subject of death and taste. so what if they printed a picture of some one plunging to their death? you dont want to see it then go bury your head under the sand, that picture of a woman falling will probably say a lot more than a thousand words.

next time they talk about death and war on the news they better put some pretty pictures of flowers and people hugging each other to not offend *sensitive* people like you

I think you're reading more into my post than I put into it. I didn't say anything about being shocked or not wanting to see the picture, or saying it was tasteless.

I asked to see what other people's views were of the use of the picture.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139446 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2006 - 6:12 AM

If someone commits suicide in such a public way, perhaps they don't mind the public seeing the event - or pics of it.

I'm not a shrink so that's just a guess!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014142 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2006 - 6:13 AM

In a way I would like to see reporting of war that is more realistic then people might not be so keen to have them. As for the suicide I have no problem with the shot....but then I am not a relative of the person who died.

skeletor
skeletor  101643 forum posts England
5 Jan 2006 - 7:40 AM

Quote: In a way I would like to see reporting of war that is more realistic then people might not be so keen to have them.

I don't think any sane person/nation is keen to have a war. Unfortunately through history there have been times when it has been unavoidable.

PeterLondon
5 Jan 2006 - 7:46 AM

Did anyone happen to notice from the picture credit of it was shot by a pro or by a citizen journalist with a camera phone?

UserRemoved
5 Jan 2006 - 7:46 AM

Quote: most of can imagine what someone falling to their death looks like, without needing the picture.

Most people have no idea what death looks like.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.