Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suitable external harddrive for games

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Overread
    Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2012 - 8:23 PM

Ok so my main drive is getting rather bloated up, I've shifted most of my photos out to a separate drive, but now its time to shift the games out as well. Otherwise I'm simply going to run out of space.

However, whilst I know an internal drive would generally be best, I'd prefer (if possible) to get one which is external. I've got the space to fit it in plug wise and USB wise and it means I don't have to worry about cracking open the computer and fiddling around inside to get it all to work.

That said will an external have the info transfer speed suitable for running high-end games into the computer? If so any recommendations on a 1TB external drive?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Feb 2012 - 8:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2012 - 10:34 PM

A USB 3 one would....Smile But you will need to add a USB 3 PCI board first....Sad

So opening the box, Would be easier and cheaper in the long/short term, Most cases have at least one spare slot for a standard 3.5 inch HDD, Once fitted, Connect a power cable, Then a data cable ( usually SATA these days ), Then turn on the computer and format the new disk, Job Done as they say.....Grin

From start to finish I could do one in under 10 minutes, If I'm not in a hurry.....Wink

Overread
    Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2012 - 11:18 PM

Ahh not quite feeling rich enough to upgrade all the way to USB 3 Sad Sadly my new lens drank up all the money (as they seem to do a lot!)

Sounds like if USB 2 is pushing it then internal will have to be the way forward - least it means the old machine gets a dustout Tongue

Andy_Cundell
    6 Feb 2012 - 9:24 AM

Have you looked into an external 'ethernet' drive?

How do you connect up to the net? If it's via a router and you have a spare ethernet connection on it, you can plug in an external ethernet hard drive.

Andy

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.