Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suitable prize for photography competition

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
weatherforecast

Hi, I am part of the development team for a weather forecasting website that is currently non profit. We want to run a weather photography competition and we want the prize to be photography related and attract entries, but as a non profit we don't have a big budget at all.

Can anyone recommend a great prize that would cost us around 2 - 4 hundred pounds and would be great for both beginners and more advanced photographers?

Many thanks in advance.

Last Modified By weatherforecast at 11 Sep 2013 - 2:54 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Sep 2013 - 2:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
11 Sep 2013 - 3:16 PM

An Amazon gift voucher.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2013 - 3:24 PM

I would suggest a tripod probably a Manfrotto in that price range would be good for those who do landscape weather and outside related photography. Something like this
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-190cxpro4-carbon-fibre-tripod/p1026... , this is currently offered with a free head on that site making it a good buy

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 11 Sep 2013 - 3:25 PM
GarethRobinson
11 Sep 2013 - 4:15 PM

Water proof clothing since its that time of year. Gortex of course.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 11 Sep 2013 - 4:17 PM
ikett
ikett e2 Member 3317 forum postsikett vcard England
11 Sep 2013 - 4:19 PM

It may be worth contacting the UK offices of photography companies, such as Manfrotto, suggested above, Sigma, Tamron, even retailers such as Wex all may be interested if they get advertisement. Just a thought!

scottishphototours

A tripod, head and Kata bag - all could be got from Manfrotto Distribution UK, and they might even sponsor it.

Similar through Intro2020 who distribute Velbon and Slik tripods, Tamrac bags and Cokin Filters in the UK.

The Amazon gift voucher sounds good, but you get more for your money if you approach a distributor (or even Calumet??) in the UK.

By the way, make sure that the copyright for the entries remains with the photographers or nobody will enter it..... if you're doing this to get a few "free" images for your website then forget it - most people entering competitions nowadays don't give their images away for free!

Andy

Last Modified By scottishphototours at 11 Sep 2013 - 4:42 PM
puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2013 - 4:48 PM

A free 3 day photographic workshop with me, here on Tenerife. Well, you've gotta try. I would offer a carbon fibre tripod and head.

teepee
teepee  11581 forum posts England
11 Sep 2013 - 5:00 PM

Vouchers for outdoor clothing

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014560 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2013 - 5:16 PM

Amazon voucher is a good idea - they do loads of camera stuff.

I'd not be inspired by a goretex jacket... Wink

weatherforecast

Thank very much for the ideas... A tripod or Amazon voucher sounds good. If anyone who reads this wants to sponsor the competition by donating a prize we get a fair bit of traffic and could do some sort of deal.

Does everyone agree that we will get hardly any entries if we display the photos on the site? We wanted to display all entries in a gallery and let the public vote on their favourite. We would of course add a credit to each photo, we wouldn't even mind adding a link in the credit.

ade_mcfade
11 Sep 2013 - 7:37 PM

public votes are bad

the most popular person wins - not the best photo

bad for photography, good for traffic though Wink

depends what you're after lol

scottishphototours

Quote: Thank very much for the ideas... A tripod or Amazon voucher sounds good. If anyone who reads this wants to sponsor the competition by donating a prize we get a fair bit of traffic and could do some sort of deal.

Does everyone agree that we will get hardly any entries if we display the photos on the site? We wanted to display all entries in a gallery and let the public vote on their favourite. We would of course add a credit to each photo, we wouldn't even mind adding a link in the credit.

You misunderstand my meaning.

Many organisations (the BBC is the worst...) have rules for entry that say something like "if you enter my competition we then have the right to use the images you submitted in any way we see fit, without consulting you and without paying you for the use of the image in any way, shape or form". This bad for both photography and photographers and puts many people off from entering.

If you go down this road, you'll get the same response. What you need to think about is WHY you're running this competition and WHAT you're trying to get from it. If the answer is "we're running it to get free images for use on our website" then you may have to think again and may even be cheaper in the log run by going and purchasing some images from Alamy, as not many people will enter. Either way, you need to be very clear in your rules as to the usage of the submitted files and to who retains copyright upon submission.

Good luck with it.

weatherforecast

Thank's that clears things up a bit... The reason for the competition is to increase usage of our Facebook page and maybe to get some more regular users of our weather service. Plus to allow our users to look at some great weather photos... We are not intending to use the photos beyond the competition, or at least not without the expressed permission of the copyright owner (as with a lot of imagery we use).

It's just to increase the number of people engaging with us on Facebook and our website, and you never know, maybe get a few sites mentioning the competition.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
12 Sep 2013 - 9:52 AM

Quote: We wanted to display all entries in a gallery and let the public vote on their favourite. We would of course add a credit to each photo, we wouldn't even mind adding a link in the credit.

Aaaaarghhh!!!

All that does is determine who has the most Facebook friends - nothing to do with quality of entries.

ade_mcfade
12 Sep 2013 - 10:02 AM

yeah - the person who tweets "please vote on my photos" the most wins....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.