Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sunrise/Sunset photography help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ChrisDolan2012
    28 Sep 2012 - 3:54 AM

What Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO would be recommended for sunrise/sunset shots?

I have taken the picture below but could not get the right exposure to see the clouds above the tree line, whilst keeping the bridge bright and clear also.

I was told to take several shots with different exposures and blend multiple pictures using photoshop, but didn't quite understand what settings to change for different exposures (e.g. ISO, Aperture or Shutter Speed).

I also have Corel PaintShop Pro X4 but do not really know much about it to be honest, so I wouldn't even know how to blend the images.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Sep 2012 - 3:54 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 4:50 AM

you could try putting your flash on then setting exposure compensation -2 on the camera that should darken the sky .

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 5:09 AM

Think this is a case where a neutral density (ND4 or 8) filter in front the lens was required, I'm no landscape expert but this is how I would have shot the scene. I'm sure some of the landscape boys will be online sooner or later this morning and will point you in the right direction and tell you where you've gone wrong.

Ade

RoyChilds
    RoyChilds e2 Member 655 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
    28 Sep 2012 - 8:09 AM

Hi Chris

You need ND grad filters checkout the Lee filters video gives you some idea, there are other makes out there Hitech,Cokin,etc but Lee stuff is very good but expensive.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera#nd-videobox

cheers

Roy

sut68
    sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 9:14 AM

Grads would definitely help but in this instance they would also darken the bridge down too, so blending in this instance would be a good option. As you don't mention the settings for this shot it is difficult to say what settings you would need, but a shot of probably 2 stops [or more] darker than this exposure and blended in using soft brushes would resolve some of the detail in the blown sky [and water if desired]. You should keep the aperture the same but shorten the length of the exposure time to do this.

Look up HDR in Google and Youtube as another option too, but be creaful with the Tone Mapping as this can and does produce a 'cartoon' appearance.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 10:21 AM

yes HDR would be the best way to go , but that will cost you , but worth it i think as HDR can be fun Wink try here

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82256 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 11:23 AM

Listen to Sut68 - Paul knows what he's talking about.

Tooth
    Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 1:13 PM

Welcome to EPZ Chris.

The main problem is the dynamic range in the photo (ie from the darkest to the brightest point) is too wide for the camera to record. If you underesxpose you'd get detail in the sky part but parts of the bridge would be very dark. if you expose to get the bridge right the sky will bleach out to white.

A neutral density filter would darken the sky but everything esle, and also slow down the water and make it silky and milky, which is fine if this is how you want the water to be.

A graduated ND filter as Paul says above would be hard work as the whole bridge would be darkened as it's on the same horizontal level as the sky.

If you've shot in RAW it's possible that there's enough dynamic range in the original that you could create two versions, one exposed for the sky and the other for the bridge, then blend them together - but it depends whether there'sany detail left in the sky at all.

The other way is two or more exposures, on a tripod, where you can vary the shutter speed to get one "dark" shiot and one "light" shot.

IN PSP there's then two ways to go

i) use layers and put one shot over the other and just erase away the bits you don'twant from one version so you can see the other showing through.

(eg put a shot well exposed for the bridge on a layer over a shot exposed for the sky, then carefully erase away the sky area from the top layer so your final shot has well exposed sky and well exposed bridge.

or

ii) there is an HDR function in PSP X4. It will be a lot of trial and error but would be fun playing with.Bear in mind there are othere better HDR stand-alone programs, but the module in PSP would be a good place to start playing around

BTW don't be persuaded into thinking that you need Photoshop to get this right. It tends to be a generic name now and PSP X4 will do everything you need for a long time..
    Good luck and enjoy

Stephen

mikehit
    mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 1:40 PM

The fact that you have some detail on the left suggests that ther is more information than first appears. I have tweaked this to create a rubbish picture but which shows what is possible when doing selective treatment in Photoshop Elements - you will be able to do pretty much the same in Corel.

sunsetbridge-1.jpg

If you have shot in RAW there will be even more detail possible.

But it is always best to get it better in camera so all the above suggestions are worth trying.

Edited to add: this was a simple global reduction in brightness and a tweak of contrast.

Last Modified By mikehit at 28 Sep 2012 - 1:41 PM
    RogBrown
    RogBrown  72996 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 2:28 PM

Easiest way - 2 shots, one for the sky & one for the b/g & merge the two.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41173 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2012 - 5:00 PM

There is enough information, even in the small upload to get some sky back.

ps.jpg

Added another layer, copied the sky and changed the levels somewhat, then blended back into original. Rubbed out sky of original and feathered the edges, then flattened and saved. That gets rid of the white haloes.

Slightly less exposure will allow you to drag back shadows, as once highlights are gone there is no retrieving them, but shadows are much more forgiving.

Nick

pentaxpete
    30 Sep 2012 - 4:31 PM

cruise-11.jpg
    Here is one of mine taken on FILM -- much easier than Digital ! FUJI Reala 100 is what I used with a 1986 Leica M6 and a 1966 Canadian Leitz 35mm f1.4 Summilux lens -- it is a straight print from the negative. I just made sure to get a light reading frm the sky and sea area away from the actual sun-spot area ( which would have caused under-exposure)

Aperture was f5.6, Shutter speed was 1/250th second to stop movement of the Ship and f5.6 gave a good depth of field -- I took only ONE frame

Last Modified By pentaxpete at 30 Sep 2012 - 4:36 PM
    ssnidey
    ssnidey  1119 forum posts United States
    1 Oct 2012 - 3:49 AM

030-2-edited-1.jpg012-2.jpg

Here a couple of mine with nikon d7000, f-16 , 1/10th sec. iso 100 , needs to be on tripod, use remote or self timer on camera

i almost always use single point focus, and a small metering area instead of metering for the whole frame.

Last Modified By ssnidey at 1 Oct 2012 - 3:53 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.