Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Super moon photography tonight

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

RWPhotoGraphix

If you missed it last year, the super perigee moon is back for an encore performance.
On Saturday, the moon will be up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than the other full moons of 2012, according to NASA.
That's because it will reach perigee, its closest point to Earth in its elliptical orbit, at 11:34 p.m. ET and become full just a minute later.
Super perigee moons happen about once a year on average, but the moon of March 19, 2011, was nearly 250 miles closer than this week's moon, prompting wild calamitous speculations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mobileweb/1970/01/01/_n_1473687.html

Anyone looking to take some great shots of the moon? Do you have any tips for others that may be interested?

If so please share your knowledge here Smile

I personally am looking forward to having an attempt

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 May 2012 - 4:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
5 May 2012 - 5:05 PM

will we be able to see it though

RWPhotoGraphix

It's meant to be a clear night, apart from the south east apparently

MrGoatsmilk
5 May 2012 - 7:00 PM

I doubt I will see it I've already started on the homebrew Grin

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2012 - 7:14 PM

Certainly won't be seeing any type of moon in the SE, methinks.

RWPhotoGraphix

This may help someone

http://www.flickr.com/groups/shootingtolearn/discuss/72157606226172446/

User_Removed
5 May 2012 - 8:06 PM

Hmm, never tried a serious attempt at photographing the moon before, think I will have a go providing the sky is clear.
Thanks for the reminder RWPhotoGraphix

RWPhotoGraphix

Your welcome, Hope u have fun Smile

AlexandraSD
5 May 2012 - 8:50 PM

Only has one moon tip;

Apparently it moves at a rate of 0.25 mpm (moons per minute), so every 4 minutes the moon is in a totally different place as it was four minutes previous. I doubt the closer distance tonight would dramatically effect this calculation, but as it is closer it will move a bit faster. With this in mind, long exposures are pointless, id go for a high iso and fast shutter speed to eliminate any moon movements.

Shame its cloudy here in the fens because im quite partial to a bit of star and moon gazing. Lets hope some images are posted here Smile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Asrailia
Asrailia Junior Member 2 United States
5 May 2012 - 9:02 PM

Hope I can stay up for it Smile

RWPhotoGraphix

Hoping these clouds bugger off or my plan is ruined Sad

chris.maddock
5 May 2012 - 9:55 PM

Quote: Apparently it moves at a rate of 0.25 mpm (moons per minute), so every 4 minutes the moon is in a totally different place as it was four minutes previous.

It sure does motor along - with a 400mm lens you can easily see the darned thing moving across the viewfinder.

Quote: With this in mind, long exposures are pointless, id go for a high iso and fast shutter speed to eliminate any moon movements.

Don't need a long exposure for the moon anyway - it's a fully illuminated medium-grey lump of rock Wink

I usually find manual exposure using Sunny f16 opening up one stop to f11 (sometimes referred to as Luny f11, LOL) is a good starting point for exposure, eg ISO 100 1/100 sec @ f11.
Unless you can fill the frame with the moon, auto-exposure without a lot of exposure compensation will grossly overexpose it because of all the dark area around it.

Last Modified By chris.maddock at 5 May 2012 - 9:56 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
5 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

Supermoon To Appear On 6 May In Europe And The UK and 5th May in US !! LINK

So do we wait til the wee sma oors of the morning or wait until tomorrow night or both Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 5 May 2012 - 10:03 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
RWPhotoGraphix
5 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'm venturing out early hours Tongue already looks pretty cool but clouds still present Sad

AlexandraSD
5 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Quote: Don't need a long exposure for the moon anyway - it's a fully illuminated medium-grey lump of rock

Aha, thanks for the correction, of course, the last time i captured the moon was during an eclipse in 2005/2006, which made the moon very dark, had no option other than use longer exposures than i would have liked, i got a few sharp images when it was at its darkest, all trial and error. Got images of the moon looking blood red somewhere, if i find them ill post one here. Im not sure i have captured the moon since. It didnt help that i had my 300mm attached to a jesspos teleconverter, probably better to use just a good lens and some cropping later. Teleconverter long since binned Grin

Quite gutted, even though its cloudy here in the costa del fen, the sky is not dark, its obvious the moons bright up there somewhere. I guess the best time now for the moon images tonight is when its close to setting, the earths atmosphere will magnify the moon quite a bit.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.