Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Super shots on entry level camera's

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53534 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 10:19 AM

I really enjoy seeing super shots taken on entry level dSLR cameras such as the canon xxxD's and the nikon Dxxxx's etc.

Today i saw two stunner's that remind me that its the photographer and processing that can often really nail a shot and not the equipment.

I'd love to do a search by camera's to see more of these each time i blame my equipment for a poor shot.
So for now I'm creating a favourites group called GreatShotsCheapCamera.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jan 2013 - 10:19 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
17 Jan 2013 - 10:46 AM

How about compacts?

The problem with what you suggest, of course, is that on a website like this it is totally impossible to assess a photograph in a way that would satisfy your curiosity.

I think I have mentioned before that, for our 2013 family calendar, my wife contributed 6 images and I contributed 6. Hers were taken on a cheap Coolpix compact, mine on a fairly expensive D800 dSLR. And, when the photographs for each month are compared as 11""x8.5" printed images on the calendar, there is absolutely no way whatsoever that anyone could tell which camera each was taken with. (You might be able to identify my wife's from their higher artistic qualities.)

But if the image quality between a high-end dSLR and a low-end compact can't be differentiated in a largish 300dpi print, what chance on a computer screen?

Really all you are going to be able to demonstrate is that talented photographers can take stunning photographs - irrespective of whether they are using a compact, an entry-level, dSLR, professional-level kit or a decent mobile phone.

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4516 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 4:01 PM

A camera is merely a tool to obtain an image.......the resulting image is what the cameraman sees through the viewfinder/rear screen, &
follows up with processing to obtain the final outcome, which may have been previsualised, or the result of a bit of digital manipulation,
depending on how 'creative' you are feeling.........

I've used all sorts, from 'full-frame' DSLR's, to cheap little compacts to get my initial image.....what happens to it afterwards is all down to
the old 'grey-matter' between the ears...................

You only have to look through the gallery shots to see some amazing stuff shot on compacts, & some very average stuff from expensive
DSLR's............it comes back to the cameraman not the camera to come up with the right 'goods' !!!!!!!!!!!

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 4:43 PM

Quote: A camera is merely a tool to obtain an image.

Try telling that to the young uns today and they will ner believe yer Smile

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4516 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 5:18 PM

Well said !!!.Smile

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 5540 forum posts213hardy vcard England
17 Jan 2013 - 6:52 PM

Who said you need a dslr?

Came across this and this a few weeks ago meant to post them be forgotTongue

Last Modified By 213hardy at 17 Jan 2013 - 7:10 PM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72144 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 7:16 PM

My digger image was created with a Canon Ixus 220HS.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 8:28 PM

Quote: I really enjoy seeing super shots taken on entry level dSLR cameras such as the canon xxxD's and the nikon Dxxxx's etc

Entry level dslr`s should be every bit as as good as top of the range dslrs when it comes to image quality Smile

These are all taken with a compact.

canonfan46
17 Jan 2013 - 8:57 PM

Which photo is the most recent Paul?

MichaelMelb_AU
17 Jan 2013 - 9:10 PM

As for me, the image is not becoming great by the technical perfection alone. It is becoming great with the vision reflected in it - and it can be done with ANY camera. Recent success of Lomography is a true proof of that (I rather dislike the term itself however).
It is real hard to imagine a professional using amateur instrument - unless left with nothing else. The camera will hold them by not providing necessary level of support and image quality required for final product that goes for sale. It's pretty much like a F1 driver cannot come to race with F250 truck or Honda city car. On the other hand, there are plenty of reasonably cheap DSLRs on market plagued by focusing problems (no micro-adjustment who knows), having lens compatibility issues that only an experienced photographer will understand - leave alone deal with successfully. In this case an inspiring amateur may get better result much easier wit some compact cam - those caught up with DSLRs functionally and getting there in terms of image quality.
My understanding is that one has to practice their creativity with the best camera they can afford and able to handle and leave to the others to judge how good the result is:

Some will say it is great, some will say - ugly, that's matter of personal taste. Choose a horse for your courses...

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 17 Jan 2013 - 9:11 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2013 - 1:06 AM

Quote: Which photo is the most recent Paul?

The last one

canonfan46
18 Jan 2013 - 7:56 PM

Hope it was quite a while ago then.

Paul Morgan
18 Jan 2013 - 8:12 PM

About ten weeks, can just about get the elbow level with the shoulder now Smile

Quote: It is real hard to imagine a professional using amateur instrument - unless left with nothing else

A couple of years ago I had a picture on the front page of a paper taken with vintage trip, does it matter what you you use if its getting you results.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 18 Jan 2013 - 8:19 PM
keithh
keithh  1022780 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2013 - 9:15 PM

Today's 'compact' is very different to yesterday's 'compact'.

Paul Morgan
18 Jan 2013 - 9:19 PM

Yes Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.