Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Super Zoom for Nikon D5000

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    darranl
    darranl  5318 forum posts England
    2 Feb 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hello everyone,

I am currently considering the purchase of a super zoom lens but before I do I wanted to check the opinions on these.

At the moment my camera body is a Nikon D5000, I am very happy with this and will probably not update it until around something like a D7200 being available whilst in the meantime I am building up my lenses and accessories. My favourite two lenses are a Nikon 50mm f1.4 and Sigma 150mm f2.8 OS Macro (The latter also regularly being used as a 150mm prime) - I think it is the image quality that I get from these lenses that convinces me there is no rush to chase the latest bodies. The other lenses I have are the kit 18-55 this doesn't get a huge amount of use as I would most likely use the 50mm and I have a Tamron 70-300 (The cheap one with no stabilisation) which I have never really been happy with.

I am realising that my photography really fits into two categories, firstly when I am spending time with the camera for the sake of taking photographs - what I mean here is that when I find something I want to photograph I can spend a lot of time on it so time changes lenses etc is not a problem. The second category it when I want to use the camera but when out with family and friends - in that case there is less time for swapping lenses - in fact my sister has this habit of finding an ideal place to photograph my nieces just as I have put the wrong lens on Wink

For the first category I am planning to add a 300mm prime (Either Sigma or Nikon) and a teleconverter for when I want to capture wildlife - I have considered a zoom for this but have not really been impressed with the reviews so would probably prefer another prime.

It is the second category that I am considering a super zoom for, later this year I am due to be going on a cruise around the canary islands with my family - I will be taking the 50mm for use on the ship but I am thinking about a super zoom for the time off the ship where I expect there to be plenty of light. Most likely the remaining lenses would stay at home. I will also take a tripod although will most likely not be taking that with me all the time.

So after my whole back story Wink The lens I am currently considering is the Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR - so far comparing it to other lenses the two main features drawing me to this one are that firstly it is slightly faster than the others and secondly I do really like the manual focus override I get on the other lenses - this is so useful if the camera (or more likely I get the focus point on the wrong position) mis-focuses and it can be adjusted without the need to start again.

Alternatively another option would be to go for the Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 OS Macro, only loosing 50mm from the telephoto end I could use the money saved towards a 2x Sigma teleconverter to use with the 150mm lens until I am ready to buy a 300mm prime and if that prime was a Sigma lens I would have the teleconverter ready.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Feb 2013 - 11:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andart
    andart  12479 forum posts United Kingdom
    2 Feb 2013 - 12:47 PM

You should also consider the Tamron 18-270 pzd - see the 365 road tset

darranl
    2 Feb 2013 - 3:50 PM

Thanks for the link - some very nice images in there - it could be enough to convince me to give Tamron another go.

User_Removed
    2 Feb 2013 - 4:28 PM

Not as "super" as a 18-300mm, but when I used DX cameras I got great results from a Sigma 18-200mm.

darranl
    3 Feb 2013 - 1:09 AM

Especially after looking at the thread of Tamron images I have to say the increased cost of the Nikon lens is looking less justified, I am sure I can live without manual focus override and it is only faster by 1/3 of a stop.

That would leave me looking at the Sigma or the Tamron - I think I will need to sleep on it again, the Tamron is certainly tempting after seeing the images that can potentially be created. Reading reviews of them both it does appear to differ depending on where you look as to which comes out on top.

I suppose overall a few facts are true.

Rubbish images can be created using any lens.
    Excellent images can be created using any lens.

The question it really comes down to is - Is it possible to create the kind of images you are looking for using a specific lens?

But maybe that goes back to the categories of photography I described in my original post, it is easy to invest in lenses for when you are concentrating in creating images for the purpose of creating the images but when it comes to the situation where we have less time to control the image creation we are looking for general purpose tools that can take over.

darranl
    4 Feb 2013 - 10:56 AM

Looking at these lenses I have found a second hand version of the Tamron 18-270 PZD (I am assuming the PZD is the part of the name I need to be looking at to ensure it is the latest model) - the one for sale is missing the lens hood.

After factoring in buying a lens hood it works out around 70 cheaper than new but only has a 6 month guarantee - buying new would be a 5 year guarantee. Does this sound like it would be worth it?

Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 7122 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Feb 2013 - 7:42 PM

No question about it buy new

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    darranl
    5 Feb 2013 - 10:40 AM

I think you are right Mike - might as well know I will not need to be replacing it within the 5 years.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.