Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Superb Sports Pic!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scottishphototours

In terms of sports pics, the one below has just appeared on the BBC sport website from Getty and surely has to be one of the best sports pics in a long time! - well done to the Tog!!

-68448203-murray-ball.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jun 2013 - 7:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lumix5
lumix5  3205 forum posts Northern Ireland
28 Jun 2013 - 11:54 PM

Have to agree there!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96310 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2013 - 10:45 AM

Sad Does not look anything special to me but I guess it saves writing a caption !

LensYews
LensYews  51309 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2013 - 1:26 AM

Quote: Sad Does not look anything special to me but I guess it saves writing a caption !

I don't think SPT was board as such which I suspect was cropped to get that composition, but the framing of the player's face within the head of the tennis racket, which together with the ball in the frame and the cropping make a good sports photo.

Gordonsimpson

It's a good photo, but it's not that good.

Evertonian
2 Jul 2013 - 3:23 PM

These shots are all done with 'motor drive' which makes it reasonably easy, nevertheless it is a fairly good shot and one I would have been pleased to have taken.

Geoffphoto
2 Jul 2013 - 4:20 PM

Quote: These shots are all done with 'motor drive' which makes it reasonably easy

B*llocks ! You try pal, I've been taking sports photos for over 25 years and would love to have taken one as good as that !!

Let's give the photographer credit instead of sneering !!!

LensYews
LensYews  51309 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 10:12 AM

Evertonian, Wimbledon is still on, perhaps you would like to try and create a similar image and post it here?

Evertonian
3 Jul 2013 - 10:57 AM

Quote: Evertonian, Wimbledon is still on, perhaps you would like to try and create a similar image and post it here?

Won't be going to Wimbledon, too far, but I have some nice cricket action shots so you try it too, it is not too difficult and I would imagine it should fall within your range. Set your exposure to multi so that when you hold down the shutter you are in motor drive mode. Just erase those which are not so good and keep the good ones, it saves memory space. You will need a good long lens with a large aperture f2.8 minimum though and a sturdy monopod as per Manfrotto. I use the Sigma f2.8 70-200 and occasionally with the 1.4x converter.

Last Modified By Evertonian at 3 Jul 2013 - 11:01 AM
collywobles
3 Jul 2013 - 11:32 AM

One of the best sports pics I ever saw was a diagonal line of rugby players and the lead one in the air for a touch down, taken from high in the stands. Not sure what or where this was but would love to see it again.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104042 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 11:49 AM

Quote: Won't be going to Wimbledon, too far, but I have some nice cricket action shots so you try it too, it is not too difficult and I would imagine it should fall within your range. Set your exposure to multi so that when you hold down the shutter you are in motor drive mode. Just erase those which are not so good and keep the good ones, it saves memory space. You will need a good long lens with a large aperture f2.8 minimum though and a sturdy monopod as per Manfrotto. I use the Sigma f2.8 70-200 and occasionally with the 1.4x converter.

Sorry, that really shows a lack of knowledge of professional sports photography.

Evertonian
3 Jul 2013 - 12:35 PM

Quote: Sorry, that really shows a lack of knowledge of professional sports photography.

I am an amateur not a professional but I assure you it works. Start clicking as the ball approaches the batsman and stop after he hits is, misses it or gets himself out. I have a few with the bails being dislodged as the batsman is beaten and some of batsmen playing nice shots. If nothing happens, you can erase the shots whilst the bowler gets ready to make his next delivery and start again.
I have looked at your website and cannot see any sports shots so I guess you are not a professional sports photographer although you are a part time pro . in one field or another. As such I have attempted to see why you have decided that I know nothing about professional sports photography. You are probably some way short of the mark and but I have no aspirations to be a sports pro, but believe me I do get by and enjoy myself.

Last Modified By Evertonian at 3 Jul 2013 - 12:35 PM
Evertonian
3 Jul 2013 - 12:40 PM

Quote: These shots are all done with 'motor drive' which makes it reasonably easy, nevertheless it is a fairly good shot and one I would have been pleased to have taken.

B*llocks ! You try pal, I've been taking sports photos for over 25 years and would love to have taken one as good as that !!

Let's give the photographer credit instead of sneering !!!

I said "it is a fairly good shot and one which I would have been pleased to have taken myself." No sneering involved - and I don't like the tone of your comments, there is no need for that sort of thing and I am not getting any further involved in this.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104042 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 12:58 PM

There are no sports shots on my website now, as I gave up my cycle sport photography business a couple of years ago due to time constraints, the web site is there now to keep the domain name & put up things I fancy putting up.

I shot everything from local time trials to international road races & racing at the velodrome, so I pretty much know my stuff. In my time, I saw plenty of machine gunners in full auto mode & believe me, they didn't get the shot. They may have got one or two on a bright sunny day, but when the rain is coming down and the whole race is dark, it was a different matter, you need to know how to use the camera in full manual mode back to front and inside out & that's when they went home without a shot. So, I feel I am coming from a point that is pretty much near the mark.

Have fun and enjoy your amateur sports photography, but please don't think that is how the pros get their shots day after day.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 3 Jul 2013 - 1:00 PM
keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023045 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 2:03 PM

As someone who has shot more than my fair share of tennis photo's, I have to say its good.......but every tennis photographer has several shots like that.

What makes this is Murray's position against the score board.

And whilst those around me shot with Canon 1d's, I shot on a 1Ds with the frame rate of a comatose sloth.

Last Modified By keithh at 3 Jul 2013 - 2:05 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.