Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Supply image for free? Hmmm let me think....

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have a request for one of my image to be used on magazine yesterday. This will include use in their International editions of the magazine and digital/newsstand version. So, I asked about payment / reward, and this is their reply:

"Great to hear from you! In this instance, as we are showcasing your image in our gallery section, we are in effect promoting you and your photography with your permission, so we do not offer payment to do this. We are not commissioning you as a contributor to make the image or asking you to write a step by step tutorial describing how you created this image, we are featuring your work within the magazine purely to promote you, so as I mentioned we do not offer payment to do this."

Hmmmm..... I wonder how I should reply politely....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jun 2013 - 10:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BigCol
BigCol e2 Member 121835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:25 AM

You should be very pleased, and not a little bit humbled, that any magazine would like to publish your images! Wink

I've seen them! Tongue

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:25 AM

Quote: We are not commissioning you as a contributor to make the image or asking you to write a step by step tutorial describing how you created this image

Politely tell them, If and or when the above becomes an applicable contract, You might consider their generous offer and discuss fee's.

For promotion purposes you are already adequately catered for by Saachi & Saachi but thank you for your kind offer.....Grin

LOL....Smile It pays to be polite....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 19 Jun 2013 - 11:27 AM
Ian-Munro
Ian-Munro  6200 forum posts Wales15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:29 AM

Tell em to f**k off!Blush

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:30 AM

I bet they send such requests out to hundreds of people, knowing that some are daft enough to actually let them use the shots for nowt.

tell them to give you a life time subscription on the basis that you'll "promote" it to your mates... i.e. show it to them once Wink

ade_mcfade
19 Jun 2013 - 11:31 AM

or alternatively, wot Ian said Wink

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:31 AM

Tell them, very politely, to roll up their magazine into a tight little roll & shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:32 AM

Magazine's always used to pay for use of photos, even if it was just £10 or a small accessory that they'd done a deal with a sponsor. But times are tough - they are now competing with all the free stuff that's online.

Best option would be to do some compromise - free sub for a year? Quarter page advert to promote your photo sales? Memory card or something that they may have floating around the office. I'd say don't cut your nose off... you never know if you may need them in the future.

It raises some interesting points for discussion.

Is having a photo in a printed magazine any different to having it in an online resource, be it facebook, ePHOTOzine, flickr etc?

Will the promotion in a magazine give you better results?

Should you be paying them for exposure? An advertiser would have to.

Should they be paying you?

Do celebs going on chat shows such as Jonathon Ross or The One Show get payment, or do they just appear for free because it's part of the package of promotion? Or do they get paid? Note that they always have a latest film, CD, or book to discuss.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:38 AM

TBH, I don't really care how much the payment is or what reward it is.
I have supplied a couple of times to other magazines for memory cards only, which I am happy with as I do understand it is not easy for that industry.
But to ask for free, and makes it sounds like I should be grateful for them to even consider me, I would have to pass on that. Though, I am not going to be rude.

Those are pretty interesting questions, Pete, which is why I posted it here.

Coleslaw
19 Jun 2013 - 11:39 AM

Who is Saachi & Saachi, Vince?

ade_mcfade
19 Jun 2013 - 11:40 AM

I've tried the "swap photo for a 1/2 page ad" exchange a few times Pete, they either never reply, or worse, say something like "but 1/2 page ads are worth £100....." etc. Which really wins you over... Wink

one major difference between print and online is linking - if you put stuff on, say, Facebook, you'll add a link to your website (or where ever) - which people may be inclined to click.

in print, you'll still have the web address, but people are less likely to be bothered to "type" in the web address...

also, online you get SEO "google brownie points"

BigCol
BigCol e2 Member 121835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:47 AM

Saachi & Saachi seem to have branched into spousal abuse. One of them at least!

MarkBauer
MarkBauer  4126 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:49 AM

Normally, I'm in the f**k off camp - though I keep that phrasing to myself and turn down these requests as politely as possible, as it's good not to close doors. However, about a year ago, a magazine contacted me asking if they could feature me in an article they were planning. It would involve giving up a day of my time, and there was no payment. For once, I decided not to turn down the offer, but accepted, pointing out to them that I am a freelance photographer and writer and make a chunk of my living from writing for photography magazines; if I agreed to help out with the feature, perhaps they'd bear me in mind when next commissioning work? A year on, I now have a monthly column with the mag, and regular work reviewing equipment.

So sometimes, doing the free stuff can be of benefit - but it helps if you make it clear what benefits you're expecting, rather than just accepting the nebulous 'we'll promote your images' promise. Perhaps, as Pete suggests, trying to negotiate a quarter page ad would work for you?

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 11:56 AM

The only time I had decent few pages in a magazine the dozy individuals didn't even manage to put my website address in there which was a tad irritating. At least they paid me.

Nice to have a magazine print a few pages and it made my parents proud Smile

thewilliam
19 Jun 2013 - 12:03 PM

Quote: So sometimes, doing the free stuff can be of benefit - but it helps if you make it clear what benefits you're expecting, rather than just accepting the nebulous 'we'll promote your images' promise. Perhaps, as Pete suggests, trying to negotiate a quarter page ad would work for you?

Some businesses get all their images free, or nearly so, with a promise of future work. I'll second the wise advice in this quote!

Doesn't it depend on whether we need to make a living from our images?

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 19 Jun 2013 - 12:06 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.