Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suspended Coffee

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lemontart
lemontart  154 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 - 7:07 PM

One of my friends posted this on facebook, I think it a brilliant idea and urge as many folk as possible to promote this and make it happen.

We none of us know what is around the corner and in these difficult times a simple idea like this will help two fold imho

Giving someone in need a simple thing like a hot drink or meal and somewhere warm and dry to have it.

And a little extra income for those businesses that take part

https://www.facebook...Coffeess?ref=hl

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Mar 2013 - 7:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43917 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 7:34 PM

Linky not workySad

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 6555 forum posts213hardy vcard England
28 Mar 2013 - 7:37 PM

Try ThisSmile

lemontart
lemontart  154 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2013 - 7:46 PM

thanks x

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2013 - 8:45 PM

A few weeks ago I was sat in my local costa when a woman and her daughter walked in with a 'homeless' man who is often found begging opposite the store. The guy gratefully received his large coffee and cake. The woman and her daughter sat for a few minutes with him and I couldn't help but over hear him extoll the virtues of his sleeping bag that had 'saved his life' more than once. He thanked the woman and her daughter gratefully as they got up to leave.

After they left his body language changed dramatically. He was pre-occupied to see in which direction they went. After 30 seconds he got up and leaving his expensive coffee and a cake untouched dashed to the door and looked anxiously after the women. He then nosily opened the door and bolted in the opposite direction.

One of the girls working the store came and cleaned up the table. I asked her why she didn't look surprised. She said that the homeless man lived in the same hostel as her. That each day she watched him bring down his suitcase and beg outside the shop. He apparently bragged that on an average Saturday he would 'earn' over 120 by such begging. It wasn't the first time he had left the store in a similar manor. The staff suspected he came in only with the hope/intent of getting some cash from. It also wasn't my first experience with this guy - I bought him a coffee to go just before xmas - only to be told by a security guard later that he had been seen pouring it away - apparently he can't drink all the coffee's the charitable locals buy him.

Whilst I applaud the charity of the women and the virtue she was trying to teach her daughter, and the virtue behind this initiative, this experience has left me doubtful over the benefit of giving directly to those on the street.

Just a thought...

collywobles
29 Mar 2013 - 11:15 AM

An interesting idea but it wont work properly in practice for reasons already given........

thewilliam
29 Mar 2013 - 12:46 PM

One old friend, who does voluntary work in a hostel for the homeless, told me that 80% of them are addicted to hard drugs. The real winners are the drug dealers.

She told me of one who went into rehab but continued to beg as usual. By the end of the first week, he'd accumulated nearly 1k and he was soon in a position to buy pretty much what he wanted.

Very few jobs would have paid him as much as he was making by begging and he didn't have to pay tax or NICs.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Mar 2013 - 5:56 AM

Quote: One old friend, who does voluntary work in a hostel for the homeless, told me that 80% of them are addicted to hard drugs. The real winners are the drug dealers.

She told me of one who went into rehab but continued to beg as usual. By the end of the first week, he'd accumulated nearly 1k and he was soon in a position to buy pretty much what he wanted.

Very few jobs would have paid him as much as he was making by begging and he didn't have to pay tax or NICs.

Your "Old Friend" is quite the gossip isn't she the william.
How could this homeless man be in rehab, and out on the streets long enough to coin in a grand?
Rehab tends to be for rehab and is quite a commitment, it involves detox and testing to ensure detox is being adhered to.

Last time i volunteered in a homeless hostel I signed a confidentiality agreement not to disclose any details regarding the residents, and its basically standard practice, other wise why would the residents/clients trust the people working their with any information.

Lofty100
Lofty100  770 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Jan 2014 - 10:17 PM

I always blank beggars because some of them tell such blatant lies. One guy years ago was quite surprised when I expressed my surprise that he had been mugged in the same subway on consecutive Saturday's.Grin He dissappeared at great speed as he had spotted police coming into the subway.

Recently someone was begging near where I work asking for 50p for a bag of chips; I saw him 3 nights in a row trying this and decided to call his bluff the following night and ask him to show me this chip shop selling chips for that price. Unfortunately did not see him again

When I was at school my RE teacher told us how he dealt with them - no money as he guessed that would go on drugs or booze. So he got them the cup of tea or whatever they were asking for.

Having said that though someone I work with was asked for money for "milk for my dog" she was suspicious but when she went passed later noticed that the dog had milk and mentioned it to the man. He said that of course he looks after his best friend. So not all of them are bad.

The idea of suspended coffees is good one of the barista's in Birmingham had various "friends" who she treated to coffees all of them that I saw were in the "needy" category.

collywobles
3 Jan 2014 - 9:46 AM

I have an idea, why don't the beggars go and get a job, so they don't have to sit on their arse all day pestering hard working people.

My Motto -- While you are walking up the stairs, there's always someone on the ground floor waiting for the lift..........

JJGEE
JJGEE  96305 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2014 - 10:31 AM

Quote: I have an idea, why don't the beggars go and get a job,

Perhaps begging is their job ?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023040 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2014 - 12:32 PM

Can't be, it's illegal under the Vagrancy Act. Wink

Hallie
Hallie  1166 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jan 2014 - 12:55 PM

Quote: I have an idea, why don't the beggars go and get a job

Your arguments are always so articulate and informed.

collywobles
4 Jan 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thank you so much.

thewilliam
4 Jan 2014 - 11:21 AM

Quote: I have an idea, why don't the beggars go and get a job, so they don't have to sit on their arse all day pestering hard working people.

My Motto -- While you are walking up the stairs, there's always someone on the ground floor waiting for the lift..........

Why work when people are happy to give you money? If you had a dog, would you bark yourself?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.