Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suspended Coffee

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 12:13 PM

If you can make more money begging than by working, the temptation must be there! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Jan 2014 - 12:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 12:16 PM

How much do you reckon the average cardboard box sitter makes a day?

Must be thousands. Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 12:39 PM

Whatever they make it is probably more than in a job for which they are suited - which one suspects in a large number of cases is.......... none! Wink

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 1:35 PM

And you base that assumption on the many conversations you have had with them?

thewilliam
4 Jan 2014 - 1:37 PM

Some of want job-satisfaction as well as income. I wouldn't want to beg, even if I "earned" ten times as much.

Carabosse
4 Jan 2014 - 1:41 PM

No, on research done which shows that many are afflicted with mental health problems etc.

For a minority it may be a lifestyle choice - but that may be a very small minority indeed.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 1:42 PM

Shouldn't we be careful with stereotypes

keithh
4 Jan 2014 - 1:48 PM

And are these mental health problems (shown in the studies that you've perused) evident before the sufferer ends up begging on the street or (even partly) as a result?

kaybee
kaybee  103801 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 1:52 PM

The worst thing they ever did was repeal the offence of "The Giving And Receiving Of Alms" north of the border (begging...or giving to beggers).
After just a few years they were debating in Parliament the best way to deal with the number of bogus and aggressive beggars
on the streets.
Certainly when I was dealing with them there were very few 'true' homeless people living rough and having to beg - but there
were many getting dropped off for their 'days work' and earning a damned good living from it.

Hallie
Hallie  1166 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Jan 2014 - 4:15 PM

Quote: Thank you so much.

I didn't think you'd get it.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 4:34 PM

Was told of a case recently where a man was banned from various towns for begging, regularly making between 80 and 150 a day, he knew the which towns would earn most money and would travel to them - it was his 'job'.

Very few, I would imagine choose to be homeless and in the 7th(?) richest country in the world that had nearly 80,000 children this year were homeless at Christmas (thats just a snapshot figure it doesnt take account of the hidden homeless - those under the radar of local authorities) its a shameful statistic.

collywobles
4 Jan 2014 - 4:46 PM

Quote: I didn't think you'd get it.

You are so kind. Happy New Year to you Hallie

Last Modified By collywobles at 4 Jan 2014 - 4:47 PM
thewilliam
5 Jan 2014 - 5:02 PM

Save the Children is now running a TV ad campaign begging for money to help kids here in the UK.

About time too, now that No 10 has refused EU assistance for our Food-banks!

NikonNovice
5 Jan 2014 - 5:17 PM

I will and have helped a few people over the years. The problem now is decerning the genuine ones from the bogus ones. I have been taken advantage of in the past and would be very wary of repeating the experience again. This is why the suspended coffee idea does not work for me. I think like most people if we see a genuine need we will try to help that person. Quite often a little bit of our time with someone is much better than a free cup of coffee.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2014 - 11:58 PM

Sadly, living in the States made me very cynical about the being culture in the UK. It's a rare occurrence here to see someone pulling out and eating discarded food from bins, yet this was something I saw all too often in parts of America, where pride gave way to necessity.
It surprised my wife (prior to our wedding) when I was approached by a dishevelled Roman beggar as we left a restaurant asking for our leftovers on holiday two years ago. She expected me to dismiss him as I usually do at home (something she struggles to do), and couldn't believe her eyes when I handed over half a large pizza without questioning.
He folded what was left, and in no more than four mouthfuls it was gone, and he gave his thanks and walked off ahead of an approaching police officer. I think that it is unusual to see that level of hardship within the UK. I think a lot of this is due to the NHS. Other parts of the world haven't got our often-maligned but indispensable healthcare system. Don't believe me? Try living without it for a year and watch your money drain away...
It's harder for people to take care of friends when the cost of looking after their own health is so debilitating.
If that support is there, then I believe it's less common that good people with genuinely bad luck cannot benefit from the kindness and support of their friends and families.
I know there are exceptions, but I have seen a lot of people go "homeless" by not talking responsibility or steps to prevent a situation before it arises.
And I say that with the experience of having been looked after by some very good people who provided me with a temporary home when my rented apartment was sold for reasons behind my control, and couldn't find another roommate. I came very close to being out on the streets in another country with no assets of any kind. I learned that there's always a quiet corner with your name on it if you're prepared to graft away and say thanks genuinely.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 5 Jan 2014 - 11:59 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.