Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Suspended Coffee

StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
6 Jan 2014 12:33AM
You'll find people in Canada living on the street. No phone number, no fixed address, you'll never get a job.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.7k
6 Jan 2014 11:27AM
Homeless people also have trouble getting Social Security benefits.

In Bristol, UK, a park bench was given a postcode so that homeless people could give its address and so be able to register for benefits.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2014 12:16PM
An interesting solution:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25548061

Quote:Alcoholics are being paid in beer to clean the streets of Amsterdam as part of a project partly funded by the Dutch government - the organisers think other countries should abandon "old-fashioned political correctness" and adopt the same approach.

Since the street-cleaning programme started 12 months ago, local police have received fewer reports of stabbings and muggings in the park. And all of the residents we spoke to said they were happy with the government supporting this unconventional approach.

Floor van Bakkum of Amsterdam's Jellinek anti-addiction clinic says the project is a good way to deal with "a very problematic group - it's kind of harm reduction". She likened it to giving carefully monitored methadone or heroin doses to chronic heroin addicts.

Unfortunately I fear there are too many people with a sense of righteous indignation for it to be even tried over here.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
6 Jan 2014 9:52PM

Quote:Homeless people also have trouble getting Social Security benefits.

In Bristol, UK, a park bench was given a postcode so that homeless people could give its address and so be able to register for benefits.

That was not to help them get benefits, it was simply added to help rough sleepers register with a doctor.
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2014 1:19PM
The organised collection of excess end of day Pret sandwiches etc and delivery to hostels etc for those less privileged seems an excellent way to offer organised charity.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
7 Jan 2014 2:25PM

Quote:The organised collection of excess end of day Pret sandwiches etc and delivery to hostels etc for those less privileged seems an excellent way to offer organised charity.

I understand that this is now strictly forbidden, presumably under the good 'ol Elfin Safety laws: not even when it's to be fed to pigs!
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2014 3:13PM

Quote:I understand that this is now strictly forbidden, presumably under the good 'ol Elfin Safety laws: not even when it's to be fed to pigs!

Don't think so.
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
7 Jan 2014 9:52PM

Quote:I understand that this is now strictly forbidden, presumably under the good 'ol Elfin Safety laws: not even when it's to be fed to pigs!

Don't think so.

No reason why it should be - provided the surplus is purely due to over-ordering (or under buying) and the contents are still within the use by date.
Out of date foodstuff is a different matter, of course.
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
7 Jan 2014 10:37PM
thewilliam 6 4.7k
7 Jan 2014 11:31PM
Some folk, like #2 daughter would never eat food past the sell-by date. In fact, she often throws food away when it's nearing the best-before date, just to be safe. I just check whether the food has grown a fur coat!
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
7 Jan 2014 11:41PM
Sell by date or use by date, there is a difference.

Quote: I just check whether the food has grown a fur coat!

Reminds of the time I sat and watched my father scrape the mold of some jam to get at the good stuff Smile
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2014 12:53PM

Quote: scrape the mold of some jam to get at the good stuff Smile
Works for hard cheese too Wink Though we just freeze the excess now.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
8 Jan 2014 2:47PM
The dairy industry certainly doesn't waste mouldy cheese! It's a vital ingredient for "processed cheese".
thewilliam 6 4.7k
8 Jan 2014 2:48PM
Dowsing is a useful way of finding out whether food is safe to eat.
8 Jan 2014 3:23PM

Quote:Dowsing is a useful way of finding out whether food is safe to eat.

Food poisoning works too..... Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.