Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suspended Coffee

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014681 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2014 - 12:33 AM

You'll find people in Canada living on the street. No phone number, no fixed address, you'll never get a job.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jan 2014 - 12:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
6 Jan 2014 - 11:27 AM

Homeless people also have trouble getting Social Security benefits.

In Bristol, UK, a park bench was given a postcode so that homeless people could give its address and so be able to register for benefits.

mikehit
mikehit  56312 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2014 - 12:16 PM

An interesting solution:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25548061

Quote: Alcoholics are being paid in beer to clean the streets of Amsterdam as part of a project partly funded by the Dutch government - the organisers think other countries should abandon "old-fashioned political correctness" and adopt the same approach.

Since the street-cleaning programme started 12 months ago, local police have received fewer reports of stabbings and muggings in the park. And all of the residents we spoke to said they were happy with the government supporting this unconventional approach.

Floor van Bakkum of Amsterdam's Jellinek anti-addiction clinic says the project is a good way to deal with "a very problematic group - it's kind of harm reduction". She likened it to giving carefully monitored methadone or heroin doses to chronic heroin addicts.

Unfortunately I fear there are too many people with a sense of righteous indignation for it to be even tried over here.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2014 - 9:52 PM

Quote: Homeless people also have trouble getting Social Security benefits.

In Bristol, UK, a park bench was given a postcode so that homeless people could give its address and so be able to register for benefits.

That was not to help them get benefits, it was simply added to help rough sleepers register with a doctor.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 1:19 PM

The organised collection of excess end of day Pret sandwiches etc and delivery to hostels etc for those less privileged seems an excellent way to offer organised charity.

thewilliam
7 Jan 2014 - 2:25 PM

Quote: The organised collection of excess end of day Pret sandwiches etc and delivery to hostels etc for those less privileged seems an excellent way to offer organised charity.

I understand that this is now strictly forbidden, presumably under the good 'ol Elfin Safety laws: not even when it's to be fed to pigs!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 3:13 PM

Quote: I understand that this is now strictly forbidden, presumably under the good 'ol Elfin Safety laws: not even when it's to be fed to pigs!

Don't think so.

chris.maddock
7 Jan 2014 - 9:52 PM

Quote: I understand that this is now strictly forbidden, presumably under the good 'ol Elfin Safety laws: not even when it's to be fed to pigs!

Don't think so.

No reason why it should be - provided the surplus is purely due to over-ordering (or under buying) and the contents are still within the use by date.
Out of date foodstuff is a different matter, of course.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022909 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 10:37 PM

No it's not Wink

thewilliam
7 Jan 2014 - 11:31 PM

Some folk, like #2 daughter would never eat food past the sell-by date. In fact, she often throws food away when it's nearing the best-before date, just to be safe. I just check whether the food has grown a fur coat!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2014 - 11:41 PM

Sell by date or use by date, there is a difference.

Quote: I just check whether the food has grown a fur coat!

Reminds of the time I sat and watched my father scrape the mold of some jam to get at the good stuff Smile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2014 - 12:53 PM

Quote: scrape the mold of some jam to get at the good stuff Smile

Works for hard cheese too Wink Though we just freeze the excess now.

thewilliam
8 Jan 2014 - 2:47 PM

The dairy industry certainly doesn't waste mouldy cheese! It's a vital ingredient for "processed cheese".

thewilliam
8 Jan 2014 - 2:48 PM

Dowsing is a useful way of finding out whether food is safe to eat.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72504 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
8 Jan 2014 - 3:23 PM

Quote: Dowsing is a useful way of finding out whether food is safe to eat.

Food poisoning works too..... Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.