Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

"Sussex Light" - my first book


7 Dec 2012 2:24PM
Hello everyone,

I have just (self-)published my first book on Blurb, "Sussex Light". A photographic journey through Sussex, 80 pages full of landscape photography and minimum text, from Halnaker Windmill in the far west to Bodiam Castle in the far east, some well known and liked landmarks in between, many "hidden treasures" and a good deal of South Downs "abstracts". The book sums up five years of my work in the area. It's fully previewable here:

http://www.blurb.co.uk/books/3821921

All the best in the Yuletide Season,

Slawek

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
7 Dec 2012 4:00PM
An excellent selection of images Slawek, I suspect you are quite pleased on how it has come together for the book Smile

Although I know the South Downs area around Brighton to Lewes and the Seven Sisters quite well it is interesting to see those "hidden treasures" locations that I have yet to discover.
7 Dec 2012 4:21PM

Quote:An excellent selection of images Slawek, I suspect you are quite pleased on how it has come together for the book Smile

Although I know the South Downs area around Brighton to Lewes and the Seven Sisters quite well it is interesting to see those "hidden treasures" locations that I have yet to discover.



Thank you, Jeff. Glad you found something new in there.
Techno 6 1.0k 8 England
7 Dec 2012 4:31PM
Excellent work Slawek, I sincerely wish you good luck with this venture.
7 Dec 2012 4:47PM

Quote:Excellent work Slawek, I sincerely wish you good luck with this venture.

Many thanks, Mal. Have a great weekend.
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2012 10:17PM
Nice images, but as it is a book, I would have thought you would have had narrative in it as well. The history of Sussex and the images you have taken. It then gives your book meaning, rather than just images to look at. A lot of images have a story to tell.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
7 Dec 2012 10:33PM

Quote:I would have thought you would have had narrative in it as well

Plenty of that type of book in Waterstones or National Trust shops.

Slawek explained his idea for the book in the preface and as such I believe that the short captions giving locations are quite sufficient for an enjoyable tour around the area.
7 Dec 2012 11:16PM

Quote:Nice images, but as it is a book, I would have thought you would have had narrative in it as well. The history of Sussex and the images you have taken. It then gives your book meaning, rather than just images to look at. A lot of images have a story to tell.


Thank you for your opinion, I believe it's mostly about the definition of the word "book". Probably "album" would be more precise (although it brings to mind a family album where you stick polaroid pictures). Anyway, JJGEE summarized my rationale for this scarcity of text: I don't feel competent enough to write about the history or geography of Sussex, and dozens or hundreds of books have been written about it, much better than I could possibly do it. But there aren't a lot of landscape photography compilations from the area to be found, Sussex isn't among the most photogenic and exciting regions in Britain Smile...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.