Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Swallowtails in Norfolk

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Julian
Julian  1076 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 6:46 PM

Matt and I are planning this year's pilgrimage to Norfolk to photograph the majestic Swallowtail butterflies.Swallowtail pic

Over the recent years we’ve discovered most of the hotspots and not spots. Would anyone be interested in joining up? There'll be plenty of other wildlife opportunities, birds and flowers to photograph but our main goal is the rare and beautiful English Swallowtail.

...Will be hoping to provide special access to a brilliant lesser known and non-public area

...Travel arrangements to be discussed. Depending on numbers we may arrange a mini bus so that we all travel as a group

...One weekend early June-tbc

Look forward to hearing from you
Julian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Apr 2010 - 6:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

clive burrow
clive burrow e2 Member 1071 forum postsclive burrow vcard United Kingdom
26 Apr 2010 - 7:00 PM

Hi Julian, depending on the dates I'm very interested in joining you.

Clive

cdm36
cdm36  10390 forum posts England7 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 7:08 PM

If it falls when im not working the weekend, I may be interested.

Chris.

Julian
26 Apr 2010 - 8:03 PM

Ok thanks Clive and Chris. We're probably looking at 5th and 6th or 12th and 13th June. We'll be doing Saturday and Sunday and of course people could come for either day or both.

Julian

cdm36
cdm36  10390 forum posts England7 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 8:36 PM

5th/6th or the 12th fall just right for me, Smile

fishiee
fishiee e2 Member 10468 forum postsfishiee vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2010 - 9:50 AM

Would really (REALLY!) love to make this but am flying out to Provence sat 5th June and return sat 19th June. If the dates change, I would love to come and can currently make it any time between 1st-4th June and also 20-25th June.

I am hoping to make it there some time in those dates myself anyway.

John

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2010 - 10:05 AM

a bit to far to travel for me this, that and the fact I'll be busy chasing Large Blues diring this period. Never mind, perhaps next year.

Any chance of smuggling me over to Provence with you then John, yer lucky beggar Smile

Ade

fishiee
fishiee e2 Member 10468 forum postsfishiee vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2010 - 4:16 PM

If I could I would Ade, you know that Smile

Out of Interest Ade, are you chasing those Large Blues at a public access site? I know there was some lottery/raffle type scheme in place for one site where they had been introduced for access this year. I saw Large Blues for the first time in Switzerland last year and won't be going back early enough for them this year and would love to have a crack at some in the UK as I developed a bit of a soft spot for them last year. Enough to be considering a spring visit to Switzerland again next year.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2010 - 9:08 AM

No, it's a public access site, I'll PM you the details mucker...Don't want the whole world and his brother desending on the place now do we Smile

Ade

Julian
28 Apr 2010 - 10:19 AM

Hi Ade and John

Sorry you can't make it for reasons specified. It would have been nice to have you with us photographing Swallowtails.

NB For anyone wanting to travel any distance, and this is to whom the trip is aimed at, there would I'm sure be some nice B+B's or guesthouses to stay at. Matt and I will be doing this too. As mentioned in the original post, the visit will take place over a weekend and thus willl encompass two days out in the wilds, so an overnight is a must for people not living close and wanting to do both days.

We'll probably arrange for a picnic lunch on one or both days so that we can stay on site as much as possible.

Julian

fishiee
28 Apr 2010 - 10:44 PM

Maybe I'll try and get there 3rd/4th and get them a bit fresher instead Wink

Pity the dates don't work out for me as It would have been goot to meet up with a couple of EPZ's finest butterfliers and also get some expert advice on the site and access to some more restrcited areas.

mattberry
mattberry e2 Member 10259 forum postsmattberry vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2010 - 11:24 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if you do Smile

Its always going to be difficult to get everyone together but maybe we can investigate some other meets during the year? We'll certainly do the Swallowtails again next year at the very least. I can't go a year without visiting those beauties!

Gezina
Gezina  7 United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2010 - 9:40 PM

Hi Matt & Julian - I would love to join in if at all posssible - only comming back from SA on the 6th though but any weekend in June after that would be good for me and Graham (aka Gray-ina) don't know how much photography Graham will do but he will certainly be coming with me. Regards Ina

Sallow
Sallow  4
30 Apr 2010 - 9:58 PM

Hi Julian and Matt, I booked a week's holiday in Norfolk from Saturday 29th May to Friday 4th June specifically to photograph Swallowtails so, yes I'd definitely be interested! I know it is slightly on the early side but I work in a school and this is our half-term holiday. The following week would have been better but that I cannot do. If you were to make your Swallowtail Safari on the 5th and 6th I could get a B&B for the Saturday night and head for home on Sunday evening. I've never seen the species and it would be such a treat, I'd love to see them.
Sherie

mattberry
mattberry e2 Member 10259 forum postsmattberry vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2010 - 9:37 AM

Dear Ina and Sherie,

We are now confirming that the dates for the tour are Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th June. I am very sorry that you won't be able to make it Ina but this weekend has turned out to be the only one Julian and I can make as we both have other things going on the following weekend.

We'll definitely be doing this again next year too, so if you are interested for that let us know and we'll keep you on a shortlist and keep in touch to make arrangements. It will be a similar time (early June).

Can everyone who would like to join us for a day (or both) that weekend please confirm ASAP please, either here or with a private message.

Many thanks and enjoy your weekend everyone!

Matt

Matt

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.