Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Swine Flu? What swines! ;-)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2010 - 3:10 AM

I have long been a sceptic of officially inspired health and other "panics".

But when the Daily Mail, of all papers, starts (apparently) taking much the same view........... well, maybe there is some hope, after all? Smile

Quote: So the Government, as the Daily Mail has revealed, is trying to get rid of £1billion-worth of unwanted swine flu vaccine - because the deadly epidemic they were promising us all last year never materialised.

Several things are shocking about this revelation, not least the charge by the Council of Europe's head of health that major drug companies might have leaned on the World Health Organisation (WHO) to stoke up last year's scare by warning that swine flu could be a worldwide 'pandemic' killing tens of millions.

Certainly, those companies have made vast fortunes out of selling the vaccines which, at our expense, are now having to be flogged off at give-away prices.

Full article here.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 15 Jan 2010 - 3:12 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jan 2010 - 3:10 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014486 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2010 - 5:55 AM

Interesting. There was an article in the news here recently that the Canadian government is lending a huge amount of the vaccine to Mexico, but has insisted it be paid back.

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2010 - 9:43 AM

I dare say that now the snows gone, the media will suddenly report a rise in Swine Flu cases.....Me cynical, how very dare you!!

keith selmes
15 Jan 2010 - 2:04 PM

I don't recollect anyone promising a deadly epidemic, nor any officially inspired panic.
The Mail is doing the easy work of putting up a false statement and chopping it down.
I wouldn't take their claims about vast fortunes or wasted money at face value either. The big problems seemed to be, getting the virus ready, and then ramping up production to a sufficient level with limited facilities. Meanwhile governemtns have had to choose whether to spend their limited budgets o nconventional seasonal flu treatments, ororder swine flu treatment instead - not a gamble I would like to face myself.
What we really have to my mind is a wake up call, that we're not really geared up for a serious pandemic.

Jestertheclown
15 Jan 2010 - 2:14 PM

Quote: I don't recollect anyone promising a deadly epidemic, nor any officially inspired panic.

Where did you spend last summer Keith?

Didn't you see any of the stories peddled by our MPs predicting deaths in their hundreds of thousands. There were to be so many bodies that normal methods of disposal would have been impossible so huge pits were to be dug and the deceased bulldozed into them.

If that wasn't a forecast of a deadly epidemic intended to officially inspire panic then I don't know what is!

Jester.

simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2010 - 2:31 PM

Quote: The Mail is doing the easy work......

It would have been more believable had the Sun/Sport/Mirror reported it.

Wink

keith selmes
15 Jan 2010 - 5:28 PM

Quote: Didn't you see any of the stories peddled by our MPs predicting deaths in their hundreds of thousands. There were to be so many bodies that normal methods of disposal would have been impossible so huge pits were to be dug and the deceased bulldozed into them.

No. I didn't see any garbage like that. I don't know where you'd go to find it.
I read things like the NHS websites, and the USA equivalent, the actual, official, government information supplied for the public.
They didn't say any of those things.

Jestertheclown
15 Jan 2010 - 7:35 PM

Quote: No. I didn't see any garbage like that. I don't know where you'd go to find it.
I read things like the NHS websites, and the USA equivalent, the actual, official, government information supplied for the public.
They didn't say any of those things.

It was in the news.
The news that the rest of us read and see on TV every day.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
15 Jan 2010 - 7:56 PM

Quote: It was in the news.

How about a link or two then.

Jestertheclown
15 Jan 2010 - 8:24 PM

Quote: The Government is planning mass graves in the event of a deadly epidemic of swine flu in the winter, according to newspaper reports last night. Whitehall officials and council leaders met last month to discuss emergency plans, it was claimed.

The Times, August 19th. 2009

loweskid
loweskid  132042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2010 - 8:33 PM

Quote: Quote:The Government is planning mass graves in the event of a deadly epidemic of swine flu in the winter, according to newspaper reports last night. Whitehall officials and council leaders met last month to discuss emergency plans, it was claimed. The Times, August 19th. 2009

"according to newspaper reports".... "it was claimed"..

Was there any references, sources or other hard evidence in that report then? Or was it just the usual scaremongering clap-trap dished out by the pathetic third-rate lie-sheets that pass for 'newspapers' in this country.

Jestertheclown
15 Jan 2010 - 8:38 PM

All I said was that it was reported in the newspapers.

And it was.

cambirder
15 Jan 2010 - 8:40 PM

Well I can't find that particular story, but I did find the equivalent in the Mail, and its not reported in the way you put it earlier. I certainly can't find the bit about MP's peddling death warnings even in the DM Smile

As for the original point made by CB, I wonder what the reaction if the government had not prepared for the worst, and it happened. I think we would all be calling for blood by now.

Vince_S
Vince_S  4 England
15 Jan 2010 - 8:53 PM

"Britain prepares for 65,000 deaths from swine flu"

Times on line July 17th 2009.

These were the figures quoted from the model used by the experts.

I am also a sceptic of Government "panics"

Vince

cambirder
15 Jan 2010 - 9:06 PM

From the same article

Quote: The NHS has been told to plan for a worst-case scenario of 65,000 swine flu deaths this year.

Preparing for a WCS, is not the same as predicting that there WILL be 65,000 deaths as the headline suggests.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.