Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Swinging Increases in dSLR prices

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
26 Apr 2011 - 10:19 PM

Just back from a long weekend photographing in Paris and picked up last Saturday's AP from behind the door.

I notice that several retailers (most notably Park cameras) are advertising top end dSLR cameras at much higher prices than they were a week earlier. In some cases up several hundred s.

Anyone know the reason for this? My only guess is shortages following the Japan tragedy but there may be a totally different reason.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Apr 2011 - 10:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014685 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2011 - 10:23 PM

You're right. I have been lens shopping on ebay, and I can verify that there has been at least a 20% increase in prices there. Also, many retailers in the US have a major shortage of lenses from Japan. I imagine the same goes for cameras and anything else from there. No idea how long it's going to last.

User_Removed
26 Apr 2011 - 10:48 PM

Quote: Anyone know the reason for this?

Ermmm....

North East Japan got wiped out by natural causes... about six-weeks ago?

It was in all the papers.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96289 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2011 - 10:57 PM

Demand has increased this week as everyone wants a camera to record the Royal Wedding.

The prices will drop again next week Wink

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93493 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
26 Apr 2011 - 11:23 PM

Quote: Demand has increased this week as everyone wants a camera to record the Royal Wedding.

...I still have not recieved my invite...bloody royal mail.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2011 - 9:36 AM

hmm time to sell on my canon 300 F4 is L

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2011 - 9:36 AM

Quote: I still have not received my invite

Trust me, You will not be missing anything, The Paps will nailing every pimple on the ladies butt, As well as every spec of dandruff on matey's jacket......Grin

Everyone else will be taking crap pictures from miles away with phones etc, Whilst crossing their legs in agony because there are no bogs near by, What few bogs are available will have 3 mile long traffic jams of humanity, All with a similar sense of urgency and guarding their slot in the line with fearsome aggresion.....Sad

That sort of fun I can live without.....Wink

Quote: Ermmm....

PMSL......Grin

Last Modified By cameracat at 27 Apr 2011 - 9:38 AM
randomrubble
27 Apr 2011 - 10:10 AM

the price increases are not unexpected. I made my planned purchase of a 24mm TS-E as soon as I possible after the 'quake because I could see this coming, and still paid almost 10% more than I'd expected.

The problem is, now that the prices are up, how quickly will they fall when production gets up and running again? I'm sure all the dealers will want to keep thier margins up.

davey_griffo
27 Apr 2011 - 10:32 AM

Quote: how quickly will they fall

You're a "half full" kinda guy, aren't you Barry. Smile

User_Removed
27 Apr 2011 - 12:27 PM

Ermmm....

Yes, Mike. That was my own suggestion, if you re-read the original post!

No-one has suggested an alternative, other than Royal wedding. But increases seem to be hitting US as well, so that's unlikely to be the cause.

Thincat
Thincat  7616 forum posts
27 Apr 2011 - 1:37 PM

If the price increase is caused by short-term lack of supply then it'll obviously be reversed when Japan gets their factories on stream again, which won't be very long - the Japanese have the "work ethic" that this country used to have but lost many years ago. Japan makes many of the chips that are used in all electronics nowadays and I guess that'll be the main problem with DSLR and lens manufacture - I think most of the manufacture is i cheaper countries than Japan, like Taiwan and China. But if they haven't got the chips then they can't make the lens.

Alternatively, it could be something unrelated to the quake and tsunami. The US Dollar is crashing at the moment because there are rumours that the US won't be able to service its 1.5 trillion Dollar debt, which is why gold is going up so rapidly - glad I bought my gold bars a few years ago. Japan (and China) have lent vast amounts of money to the US in the form of long term US govt bonds. Maybe they're worried they won't get their money back and are writing down their investments, which means they have to adjust prices fairly substantially. Maybe this is just an early warning of the kind of things that will happen when the West is no longer the economic powerhouse and the East is in control. It's almost certain that, in the future, China and Taiwan will not be a source of cheap goods because their wages will be rising - just like wages have risen a lot in the UK over the last 20 years.

Things are changing and this is an early warning.

aftertherain
27 Apr 2011 - 2:50 PM

I've had a recon Nikon D7000 bookmarked for a week or so, waiting until my credit card bill was cleared before buying.
Went to the site, Camera World, to purchase the camera this am and this same camera has gone up in price!
I rang and they confirmed it was the same camera, that's out and out profiteering giving a price hike on existing stock, so they won't be getting my business.

thermosoflask
27 Apr 2011 - 3:00 PM

This rip off britain, any excuse to hike up price's, the sooner we all stop buying their inflated goods the better, long live the revolution Grin

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2011 - 3:03 PM

I think it's called supply and demand. Grin

petemasty
petemasty  5155 forum posts England
27 Apr 2011 - 3:30 PM

I think prices were far too cheap anyway. i thnk they should go up by at least 60%.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.