Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Switched from Canon to Nikon - what lenses to buy?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tywanda46
    tywanda46  9 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 5:21 PM

Hi I would be grateful for some help please. I have just switched from Canon to Nikon and know nothing about Nikon lenses. For my Canon system I used L series lenses (pro), 16-35mm, 24-105mm and 100-400 IS lenses.
    Could someone suggest the Nikon lenses I need to buy that will be on par with the Canon lenses I had please.
    The camera I have purchased is a Nikon D7000

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Mar 2011 - 5:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 5:48 PM

For the wide stuff, The Nikon 16-35mm a gem at around 800.....!

Midrange in place of the 24-105 Canon, Your gonna have to look at the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 at around 1200....!!

Though the latest version of the Nikon 24-120mm " F4 " version, At around 800 quid, Is getting some good reviews....!!!

At the very long end, You had better have very deep pockets, Because long Nikon lens are horribly expensive.....Take a look at whats on offer...!!!!

To cover the 100-400mm range, I'd go for a Sigma 150-500mm OS, I use one on a D700 and its pretty darn good for the money, When I have compared images taken at the same time, Same day, Same place, With those taken by a Canon 5D MkII and 100-400mm IS, You really can't tell which camera or lens combo was in use.....!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the expensive world of Nikon ......Wink

EDIT: Oh! Just in case your a " Lens Snob " To visually see if the Nikon shooter next to you has a better lens than you, Just look for the " Gold " Band around the front of the barrel, All the expensive stuff has one, Thought I might paint one on the Sigma, Just to confuse those who care.....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 10 Mar 2011 - 5:52 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Railcam
    Railcam  7470 forum posts Scotland
    10 Mar 2011 - 6:19 PM

As the D7000 is a DX sensor, for wide angle there is also the AFS 12-24/f4 G ED, which is a DX lens. I have one and it is excellent with surprisingly little barrel distortion at the wide end. Cost just under 800.

Keith

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    tywanda46
    10 Mar 2011 - 6:26 PM

Hi Cameracat,
    Thank you very much for your information. It has been very helpful.
    Could I just ask please whether it is worth splashing out on the expensive 70-200 f2.8 lens with the option to also buy a 1.7 extender if longer focal length is needed. It's just that I will be doing a lot of shooting in low light (another reason for switching to Nikon)
    Thanks for the info about the banding...No it does not bother me! I'm just aware that it is better to spend more on a decent lens at the expense of the body (or the bank!)

tywanda46
    10 Mar 2011 - 6:29 PM

Thanks also Railcam,

dlegros
    dlegros  12217 forum posts England
    10 Mar 2011 - 7:55 PM

Quote: EDIT: Oh! Just in case your a " Lens Snob " To visually see if the Nikon shooter next to you has a better lens than you, Just look for the " Gold " Band around the front of the barrel, All the expensive stuff has one, Thought I might paint one on the Sigma, Just to confuse those who care.....Wink

As someone who now has almost exclusively Sigma lenses - Fantastic Idea Smile

How about painting a Red band to really confuse people, or maybe both red and gold Grin

Last Modified By dlegros at 10 Mar 2011 - 7:57 PM
    BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2011 - 7:59 PM

Quote: Hi Cameracat,
    Thank you very much for your information. It has been very helpful.
    Could I just ask please whether it is worth splashing out on the expensive 70-200 f2.8 lens with the option to also buy a 1.7 extender if longer focal length is needed. It's just that I will be doing a lot of shooting in low light (another reason for switching to Nikon)
    Thanks for the info about the banding...No it does not bother me! I'm just aware that it is better to spend more on a decent lens at the expense of the body (or the bank!)

yes.... i am selling my sigma to get the nikon version, as the results are stunning, and it has won best pro lens this year i think.

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72504 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    10 Mar 2011 - 9:37 PM

Quote: 70-200 f2.8 lens with the option to also buy a 1.7 extender

If you can, yes..I love this lens - takes pictures by itself! and works very well with 1.7

For wide angle Sigma 10-20mm

General walkabout 16-85mm or much underated earlier 18-70mm

A bit of macro? 105mm

Not forgetting Nikon's ability to take older lenses still (albeit manual focussing etc.) you can have fun with some of the "old" telephoto's etc. for little money on fleabay...recently picked up a 300mm for peanuts - although Ken Rockwell doesn't like it (a reason to recommend it then...?) it's construction would lend it to knocking in nails.... it's damn good - maybe I got lucky..!

tywanda46
    11 Mar 2011 - 1:10 AM

Thank you all for your info. It has been very useful

thewilliam
    11 Mar 2011 - 9:38 AM

Does your camera work with Nikon manual-focus primes. Most of these are evry bit as good as the modern zooms and a fraction of the price.

tywanda46
    11 Mar 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hi thewilliam, That is worth finding out and knowing. I will make enquiries, many thanks

dlegros
    dlegros  12217 forum posts England
    11 Mar 2011 - 10:21 AM

Nikon Lens compatibility chart for D7000

In general, it would appear to be OK, except for some very old lenses

Dom

Last Modified By dlegros at 11 Mar 2011 - 10:21 AM
    Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2011 - 10:24 AM

For the long end have a look too at the Sigma 100-300 F4.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    11 Mar 2011 - 8:56 PM

You have some tough decisions.
    Nikon's 14-24 is the f2.8 wide option - but does not take filters. Nikon have just re-introduced the 17-35 f2.8 - at more than the 14-24 Sad A third wide angle option is the 16-35 f4 with VR.
    If you are on a budget the mid range 24-120 with VR costs less than the 24-70.
    Nikon does not yet have a 70-20o f4 - so the 70-200 f2.8 is a good pro grade lens choice.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.