Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Switching back to home printing - a4 printer recommendations ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hollkj
    hollkj e2 Member 9186 forum postshollkj vcard United Kingdom
    17 Jan 2013 - 8:40 PM

With my old Epson finally choking last year, I decided to go without a printer for a while to see how I got on. Over the last 12 months I've used ThePrintSpace a few times for larger prints and tried a number of other companies, including high street, for larger batches of 6x4 prints. Although I will continue to use ThePrintSpace for prints larger than a4 I've noticed I've printed far less 6x4 than in previous years and have decided to move back to home printing. I think the main reason for printing less is the added effort of uploading all the images (I have very slow broadband) or converting all to jpg, loading on a card and then having to drive in to town to print.

All the top quality printers I've read about are a3 or above in size. Problem is I have no need for anything above a4 and have limited deskspace. Can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of some top end a4 printers ?

Thanks Kevin.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jan 2013 - 8:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Stickleman
    17 Jan 2013 - 9:13 PM

I am on my fourth printer atm,the current one being a replacement for a broken Epson (through PC World's exchange scheme) It's a Canon iP4850 and it's honestly the best printer i've owned and has restored my faith in home printing.I use third party inks from Premier Ink and have had no problems at all.I think the current equivalent model is the i 7250 (around the 80 mark) and if it's as good as mine i don't think you will be disappointed.

justin c
    justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 9:18 PM

I would also recommend the Canon Pixma iP4950 (virtually the same as the iP4850 mentioned above, but a slightly newer model).

Railcam
    Railcam  7466 forum posts Scotland
    17 Jan 2013 - 9:35 PM

Another vote for the Canon Pixma. I am still using an old iP4000 which gives the same excellent results as the day I got it (6 years ago). It has only had genuine Canon inks and has never clogged. The iP4950 should be excellent for your needs.

I keep the bottom casette tray filled with 6x4 photo paper and the rear hopper with A4 plain paper. Makes life very easy.

guidoa
    guidoa  121325 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Jan 2013 - 9:39 PM

Stickleman, I use a 4850 and have always bought Canon's own but am interested in using thrdparty inks if no problem ue to cost of Canon's. My previous Canon used Jet tec and I wa pleased withnthem,but they dont seem to be available for the 4850. What brand are you using? Thanks

rambler
    rambler e2 Member 6469 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 11:45 PM

And another vote for Canon, I have the IP560 and cannot complain about the image quality. I get my inks from Inkredible and they work fine.
    I have owned Epsom printers and have watched my inks disappearing so fast due to them constantly cleaning the heads. The printers were also chipped to stop the use of 'compatible' inks, I will never buy or recommend Epsom.

Ken

Chant57
    Chant57 e2 Member 8371 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 11:50 PM

Another vote for canon. My A4 printer is the IP4500 , constant good quality, using canon inks and paper profiles. Was so happy with it when I bought an A3 printer I again chose Canon, the pixma pro 9500 MkII- again I'm more than happy with the results - I always use Canon genuine inks and the correct paper profiles.

Stickleman
    18 Jan 2013 - 2:22 PM

Quote: Stickleman, I use a 4850 and have always bought Canon's own but am interested in using thrdparty inks if no problem ue to cost of Canon's. My previous Canon used Jet tec and I wa pleased withnthem,but they dont seem to be available for the 4850. What brand are you using? Thanks

Hi guidoa,the inks are branded Jet Tec and are available from Premier Ink and Photographic website just follow the menu to the printer we have and it gives you the option of Canon inks or the Jet Tec variant.

guidoa
    guidoa  121325 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Jan 2013 - 6:39 PM

Thanks, Stickleman, I just found out that Jet Tec are available for my pinter. When I first got it, Jet Tec werent available.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.