Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Table Stands/Clamps

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6697 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2013 - 2:24 PM

Hi,
    Can anyone help me source on the cheap a couple of cantilevered table stands and clamps? I am trying to put together a simple, inexpensive, table top studio setup and can't for the life of me find anything at a sensible price. I know that there are many people out there who are very creative when it comes to this sort of thing, so hoping someone can help.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Jan 2013 - 2:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56432 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2013 - 2:41 PM

What do you call 'inexpensive'? How much weight do they need to carry?

Something like this?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MDM04-Single-Monitor-Stand-Swivel/dp/B0036YMAXM/ref=sr_1...

Or one of these and strip the lamp off
    http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighting/indoor-lighting/table___floor_lamps/-speci...

And screw a couple of these onto the arm?
    http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools-storage-workwear/handtools/clamps/spring_cl...

Alternatively, you could buy some metal or wooden roads and a few of these:
    http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/130824470175?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTyp...

Last Modified By mikehit at 8 Jan 2013 - 2:45 PM
    crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6697 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2013 - 3:36 PM

Many thanks, Mike, have had a look at all of your suggestions and the search on ebay led me to some Photo Studio Lighting Stand Magic Clamps with flexible arms, which look to be just what I need, and only a little over 10 each too. Just need them to be able to hold reflectors/diffusers and the like, so no weight to speak of. I think they will probably do the job nicely.

Last Modified By crookymonsta at 8 Jan 2013 - 3:40 PM
    User_Removed
    8 Jan 2013 - 3:49 PM

I have built up quite a flexible table-top set-up with a mixture of old retort-stands, bosses and clamps from eBay and 5 compact camera tripods from Lidl and Aldi.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73865 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jan 2013 - 3:51 PM

As Mike has linked, B&Q are great, I bought a bag full of plastic clamps of various sizes for a couple of quid. Get yourself some sellotape, bluetac, large sheets of Black / white card.

Tin foil makes great reflectors, as do mirrors, bits of card, polystyrene packaging. Use you imagination you can use an old coat / jumper as a backdrop. I've seen sweet wrappers used to "gel" lights.

You can get simple lights too from B&Q - just go down and explore - a white sheet / muslin makes a good diffuser. As for lighting the one that comes free everytime you open the curtains is pretty good.

I dont often "do" still lifes but I played around over Christmas - I doubt all the bits and bobs I used cost more than 5 all in.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 8 Jan 2013 - 3:57 PM
    crookymonsta
    8 Jan 2013 - 5:00 PM

I do tend to try to do things on the cheap when I can, we were sending an old TV unit to the tip and I took the smoked glass doors off before it went, hoping to be able to make use of one of those for some 'floating' images! Doesn't come much cheaper than that.

Andy_Cundell
    8 Jan 2013 - 6:06 PM

I've been trying to get my kids to pinch some chemistry test tube clamps from school for ages!Tongue

crookymonsta
    8 Jan 2013 - 6:23 PM

Found lots of scientific retort stands around for about 4, clamps seem pretty cheap too, but I wanted something cantilevered, which was more tricky. The ones I have found on eBay have a clamp on each end and are fully flexible, so lots of potential and uses. I may end up having to buy a couple of retort stands too but am going to wait until they arrive and see if I can manage without.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.