Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tablet Computers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

BillSz
BillSz  3 United States
28 May 2012 - 7:04 PM

Is anyone using a Tablet computer on a regular basis for image presentation, storage, etc.?

I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1", or the Asus Transformer TF 300 10.1", rather than the I-pad as they have more business uses. Has anyone had experience with either of these, and if so, which would you recommend? Particularly from the standpoint of screen quality (resolution, brightness, etc) and business apps, such as Polaris Office

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 May 2012 - 7:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

OldTom1
OldTom1  269 forum posts
28 May 2012 - 8:32 PM

Can't help but interested in the replies you will get. At the moment I take my laptop to show potential customers my work and customers their images. I was thinking about the ipad for this purpose when a friend, who is an accountant, told me he had just purchased the ipad but thinks in my case a tablet would be more appropriate. (Discuss)

Pat_Stones
28 May 2012 - 9:07 PM

I recently bought a tablet and ruled out an iPad as I wanted a widescreen display. Went with Samsung in the end and very pleased with it.

BillSz
BillSz  3 United States
28 May 2012 - 9:20 PM

Actually, I have just started looking into Tablets since the introduction of the somewhat larger, 10.1" screen devices which would be easier to carry but still make a better presentation, so I've been doing a lot of research. At this point, the Asus TF300 is my prime candidate, since it has a quad-core processor and an optional Keyboard dock that actually turns it into a laptop for better productivity (thus the term "Transformer", I assume) or it can be used separately for the purposes you mentioned; all at a VERY attractive price. I have also JUST discovered that Adobe offers a product called Photoshop Touch, specifically for tablets. I'll be doing a LOT more checking into that. Has anyone used it?

BillSz
BillSz  3 United States
28 May 2012 - 9:21 PM

Hi, Pat -
Which Samsung did you get?

searlem
searlem e2 Member 738 forum postssearlem vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Have got Photoshop Touch on my iPad, I haven't been using it for long and am still playing with it, but it does appear quite good, but it's not going to replace the real thing! There is a slight price difference though as PhotoshopTouch is only £6.99,

Pat_Stones
28 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

This is the one I got

BillSz
BillSz  3 United States
28 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

Quote: Have got Photoshop Touch on my iPad, I haven't been using it for long and am still playing with it, but it does appear quite good, but it's not going to replace the real thing! There is a slight price difference though as PhotoshopTouch is only £6.99,

Thanks, Searlem,
Would you compare it to Photoshop Elements?

BillSz
BillSz  3 United States
28 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Quote: This is the one I got

Thanks, Pat. This is the earlier iteration of Galaxy Tab 2 that I'm considering. The capabilities of these little devices amaze me.

User_Removed
29 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

I looked at the Samsung (as I have that phone) but I chose the Asus instead because of the IPS screen and the transformer keyboard dock feature

BillSz
BillSz  3 United States
29 May 2012 - 3:37 AM

Quote: I looked at the Samsung (as I have that phone) but I chose the Asus instead because of the IPS screen and the transformer keyboard dock feature

Thanks, Chris -

The Keyboard dock feature will be one of the major deciding issues for me as well, coupled with the more powerful processor (quad-core 1.2 GHz Invidia Tegra 3.0 with 1 GB SDRAM and 32 GB internal memory on the ASUS vs a Dual Core 1GHz Processor with 1 GB RAM and 16 GB internal memory on the Samsung)

Hmm - sounds like I'm reaching a decision. How do the the screen resolution, color rendition and brightness compare?

simev
simev  926 forum posts United Kingdom
29 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

I personally opted for the sony s1 tablet due to its 32 gb ram 1gb NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 mobile processor and usb port. The most useful thing for me however, aside from the ability to carry my slide shows that I use for lectures in the device, was the full SD card slot. The SD card coupled with Android photo backup allows me to upload the Raw files from both my 550D and panasonic dmc-g3 onto the device and send them via WIFI to my Email or home networked hard drive. Or if I just want to view them on a larger screen when travelling I can convert the Raw files to Jpeg using my tablet.
Handy little things these Tablets.

User_Removed
29 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

The Asus has a gorgeous screen, it's bright, sharp and colourful. It's as good as any other tablet I've seen and better than many. Due to the IPS panel the viewing angle is far superior to most other tablets. The dock is a great idea as I can use a real keyboard and real mouse when I want to do some proper work.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

I would definitely want to be able to use a wireless mouse with a tablet if I got one. Will any tablet accept these, or only specific ones?

simev
simev  926 forum posts United Kingdom
29 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

Carabosse, I believe that any tablet with blue tooth will accept a wireless keyboard and mouse so long as the system is running android 3.1 Honeycomb or above. Asus make a mouse specifically designed for this purpose: android bluetooth mouse

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.