Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tablet Computers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Simon. The Asus does look good.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
29 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Quote: Can't help but interested in the replies you will get. At the moment I take my laptop to show potential customers my work and customers their images. I was thinking about the ipad for this purpose when a friend, who is an accountant, told me he had just purchased the ipad but thinks in my case a tablet would be more appropriate. (Discuss)

One problem that I can see with the ipad is that it cannot accept external storage devices but with Samsung/Asus you can attach a USB/HD using the USB port.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
29 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

I use a Sony Tablet S, its a compromise and part of the decision was based on the apps it supports, crash Bandicoot being a killer app for some uses Wink Its screen is better than the iPad " but not Ipad 3 but then it costs less. External SD memory card is handy. It also has a strangely effective remote control emulator function. After that its the standard android offering, on 3.2 now with ICs promised for late this month.....

also there is a USB port, not tried external HD. Oh and it has Blue tooth, not certain if it works with a mouse or not, as to be honest the touch screen works so well it does not need a mouse IMHO.

What does work very well, surprisingly well, is documents to go, and syncing with your other devices through Google Drive is better than I expected. I never expected to use it to edit slides and word documents. For light use, say meeting notes, its great and you can run mind management SW also. All in its been better than I expected.

Last Modified By strawman at 29 May 2012 - 1:00 PM
OldTom1
OldTom1  269 forum posts
29 May 2012 - 1:54 PM

Mikehit - thank you that advice.

BillSz
BillSz  3 United States
29 May 2012 - 2:29 PM

Thanks for all the great information everybody! I'm going to trek to my local Office Depot and physically audition the Samsung, Asus, and Sony today.

User_Removed
29 May 2012 - 4:07 PM

Strawman am looking for Bandicoot on Google Play store but can't find? Is it only licensed to Sony? Wouldn't mind a classic platform game on my tablet

strawman
29 May 2012 - 4:23 PM

I think the Sony games are only for Sony Tablet devices. Crash was pre-loaded and I got another asteroids like one (super stardust) as well for free (it is very addictive). I intend to get Abes Odyssey for a bit of retro fun. You can blue tooth link a PS controller. You get them on the Sony store not the Google Play one.

edtaylor
edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
29 May 2012 - 5:10 PM

Quote: I personally opted for the sony s1 tablet due to its 32 gb ram 1gb NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 mobile processor and usb port. The most useful thing for me however, aside from the ability to carry my slide shows that I use for lectures in the device, was the full SD card slot. The SD card coupled with Android photo backup allows me to upload the Raw files from both my 550D and panasonic dmc-g3 onto the device and send them via WIFI to my Email or home networked hard drive. Or if I just want to view them on a larger screen when travelling I can convert the Raw files to Jpeg using my tablet.
Handy little things these Tablets.

I have one of these and it is a brilliant bit of kit. I recomend anyone who is looking, to have a go with one of these.

strawman
1 Jun 2012 - 11:19 AM

A quick note for Sony users, if you take the ICS update you may suddenly find the apps store app no longer runs Google Play. The solution looks to be to go to system properties and apps, then remove the google play updates. This then gets you back to the vanilla Android market App, which then magically updates when you visit the store. Looks like Sony have a bit more to do in order to test out OS updates.

But it now handles external memory cards better and the browser plus iPlayer apps work much better. You can switch between mobile and desktop web sites with ease. So its a good update, apart from that glitch.

User_Removed
1 Jun 2012 - 11:43 AM

I guess that the answer to this lies in exactly what you want to do on your tablet.

Obviously the display quality on the iPad3 is hugely superior to anything available (yet) elsewhere but it is expensive compared to the cheapies, especially if you go above the basic 16Gb version. My wife has one and the image quality blows away anything I have seen elsewhere, but I am not convinced about the processing power of any of the "apps". However, if it was genuinely only required for displaying a portfolio or showing images to clients (and if the total could be contained on the rather paltry storage capacity) it could be the way to go.

Pat_Stones
1 Jun 2012 - 9:35 PM

Quote: Obviously the display quality on the iPad3 is hugely superior to anything available

No it isn't

User_Removed
4 Jun 2012 - 9:36 PM

Oh yes it is!

(we are talking about tablets here, and there is nothing yet available in that field that even begins to compare with the iPad3 - but it will come, undoubtedly).

Tongue

Pat_Stones
4 Jun 2012 - 10:14 PM

It isn't even widescreen! You have to watch movies with bars top and bottom like a nineties TV set!

keith selmes
4 Jun 2012 - 11:23 PM

Ah, from that point of view, yes. I did think ipad had the right format, but having used wide screen for a while, ipad looks old fashioned already.
For displaying photo images, I doubt there's a better quality screen than ipad3 at the moment.

User_Removed
5 Jun 2012 - 12:30 AM

I think the iPad 3 screen is the highest quality available on a tablet but it won't be long before Samsung et al will have something to match or outperform it.

The reason iPads aren't widescreen is something to do with app compatibility and making them the shape of two iPhone screens atop each other (or something along those lines) which helps iOS programmers write apps that look the same on all devices.

Seems a bit daft though when other operating systems make applications use the screen size and res that users want to use. Apps like Photoshop let us customise our workspace. Apple's fixed screen ratios will be a godsend for developers though.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.