Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Tablet Computers

4 Mar 2013 8:04PM
At the moment GoClever tablet pc selling a lot in the UK but I prefer Asus windoes 8 RT tablets

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Apr 2013 10:49PM
Do any of you tablet users read ebooks on your device?

There looks to be a good deal on for the Nexus 7 at present, and I'm sorely tempted. Especially if it means I can retire my Kindle. Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
6 Apr 2013 10:55PM
CB, I just purchased a Nexus 7 less than a week ago, and it's an amazing little tablet for the money. I've been downloading free games for my grandchildren, and me, of course, and wouldn't be without one. I have a fairly new KoboGlo which I use for reading, and haven't tried ebooks on the N7 yet, but I will, and I'll give you a report. I've been reading news articles and other stuff on it, but what I'll do is download a reading program. I see Calibre is $3.99 for it.Smile

Fyi, the resolution is perfect for viewing your pictures, they show very crisp and clear, amazing. All you need is a cloud storage site, and access it from the tablet.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2013 10:55PM
Yes I read E books, but to be honest I prefer to use my kobo as the non-lit screen is a bit more restful. Plus the battery life is a lot better if you are travelling a lot. Yes the Nexus 7 is good, is there a particular deal you have seen you like? I was thinking of getting one as getting my current tablet out of my wife's hands is difficult.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
6 Apr 2013 10:59PM
I paid $229.00 CDN at Best Buy. I know where to get a fabulous deal on the Sony S, 9.4" 32gb with keyboard, stand, case, and cables, if you're interested.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
6 Apr 2013 11:05PM
This is my alltime fav Canadian seller. Highly reliable.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2013 11:06PM
I would take care before buying one of those Sony's I did and it died after 3/4 of a year, well the charger did. that should not be a deal, but neither the retailer or Sony themselves could replace the charger, so the retailer gave me a Samsung Tab2 plus cash back instead. the Samsung is a lot better and at least it charges via the usb cable.

It was a surprise, but sony changed the charger and power cable a bit back and were unable to provide a replacement part. A surprising lack of support from Sony as normally they are good at that. The sony was good while it lasted, but the Samsung is just a bit quicker and smoother plus the screen is better. No Crash bandicoot game though :-(
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Apr 2013 11:09PM

Quote:Yes the Nexus 7 is good, is there a particular deal you have seen you like?

179 (+ 5.10) postage for the 32GB version available from one of the Amazon associates. About a 35 saving. I have exchanged emails with the seller to ensure it's covered by a proper Asus UK warranty

Quote:haven't tried ebooks on the N7 yet, but I will, and I'll give you a report

That would be good Denny. Smile

Quote:I know where to get a fabulous deal on the Sony S, 9.4" 32gb with keyboard, stand, case, and cables, if you're interested.

Ok, PM me - that would be nice. Kinda set my heart on the Nexus 7 but willing to look at something else.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
6 Apr 2013 11:09PM
For the money though John, it's almost a disposable.Grin
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
6 Apr 2013 11:20PM
The Nexus 7 is fast, with a quad core processor, and the new Jelly Bean 4.2.2 downloads as soon as you connect to wifi. We have been playing some very intricate games, and have never seen a blip, it works great. I disconnect wifi via the "settings>apps" route, and we don't see all the advertising while playing free games. To reconnect wifi, simply touch the button, and it's back.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Apr 2013 11:26PM
I'm thinking that for what I mainly use my (elderly) PC for - the web and email - I could just as easily do in the comfort of my armchair (or bed Grin) with a Nexus 7. I already use my Nokia smartphone to do this, to some extent, but the 3.5" screen is a bit limiting.

This would might make any need to replace the computer less essential. Obviously I will still use the PC for photo and video processing... but that's fine.

The only games I play are Hearts on the PC and Bridge on the phone.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
7 Apr 2013 4:02AM
I enjoy Baseball (9 Innings), Yahtzee, Backgammon, Pool, Bowling, Golf, Chess, and all kinds of card games on the Nexus 7 so far, that's after about a week. I don't get to touch it except to recharge it at the weekends because the grandchildren have it. I like to listen to, or read, documentary, or news type programs late at night.

I play Hearts and Bridge on the PC.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
7 Apr 2013 12:15PM
Amazon UK sell the Nexus 7 with Android 4.1. I am assuming that it is straightforward to upgrade to 4.2.2?

Although I see Android 5.0 "Key Lime Pie" (why do they use these daft names? Grin) is due out in May. So could be worth waiting for that perhaps?
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
7 Apr 2013 1:09PM

Quote:Amazon UK sell the Nexus 7 with Android 4.1. I am assuming that it is straightforward to upgrade to 4.2.2?

I upgraded my Android recently - be warned it wipes all your apps out (unless you have the stored on an external sd card)Sad
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
7 Apr 2013 1:15PM

Quote:be warned it wipes all your apps out

Really? That's rather poor!

I guess, if buying new, it's better to upgrade before adding any apps.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.