Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tablet Computers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keith selmes
7 Apr 2013 - 1:55 PM

My Xoom updated OK with no loss of apps or settings.
I gather it does sometimes happen, or the device needs a reset to defaults which loses them.
Also they may disappear temporarily, which must be disconcerting.
But it shouldn't happen, and if it does, paid for apps can be downloaded from the Play store again without extra charge.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Apr 2013 - 1:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104005 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 4:29 PM

Quote: paid for apps can be downloaded from the Play store again without extra charge.

quite true...but such a pain...and I tend to forget which one's I've already installed. Is there a way of `bookmarking' the apps? Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 6:39 PM

I've just been asked by a friend who does not have and does not want wifi, whether any of these tablets can be used with a cable connection to broadband.

Anyone know? Smile

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92973 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 7:14 PM

As far as I know the answer is no. Its the main feature they have in being completely portable

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014519 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 7:15 PM

With the Google Nexus 7, as soon as you make your wifi connection, it updates to the new OS, it's simple. Also, because the Nexus is Google, there are no modifications to the OS, such as you get with other brands of tablet, so you get the upgrade right away. I have read many reviews on the Nexus 7, and most mention upgrading, but none mention loosing apps.

keith selmes
7 Apr 2013 - 7:35 PM

Some tablets have ethernet sockets built in, but most don't. Being tethered to a cable sort of negates the point of using a tablet.
There are ethernet to usb adapters for tablets, which are pretty cheap, don't know how good they are though.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104005 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 8:15 PM

My tablet has built in Ethernet....but don't know how you would connect it. It comes with a mini USB/USB converter.

Mine also a Google android but updating wiped the system....guess you get what you pay for Smile

strawman
strawman  1022004 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2013 - 9:16 PM

I have updated 3 different tablets, one from 2. something no apps or data was lost in the process (one of them was a nexus) Also when I received the Samsung as a replacement for the broken sony when I logges into the Android Play store it identified the applications I had on the Sony and offered to copy them to the new device. So I am not certain what happend to yours, or why it did not offer to resotre all the apps you have. Its a fairly good and friendly service.

when you log into the play store does it not offer you your applications?

edit just found it from my PC. On the navigation bar the My Applications bit. It shows what you have installed by device if you have more than one. I find I am getting a lot more than I paid for it.

Last Modified By strawman at 7 Apr 2013 - 9:20 PM
cats_123
7 Apr 2013 - 11:27 PM

Quote: when you log into the play store does it not offer you the applications

Well, I couldn't see anything....had to re-download all the apps. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? Smile

An learning new things everyday Smile Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2013 - 12:58 AM

Ok, I think I will take the plunge. Smile The Nexus 7 is cheaper at John Lewis than at Amazon - and it comes with a 2 year warranty, as well, from JL. Smile

It has Android 4.2 which I assume will upgrade to 4.2.2...... which I gather removes a few bugs. When the time comes (possibly in May), I guess the further upgrade to 5.0 will happen automatically.

Carabosse
8 Apr 2013 - 6:48 PM

Right, Nexus 7 is now on order together with some screen protectors. The good thing about JL is that they have a 90-day returns period... compared with (for example) 30 days with Amazon and 14 days with WEX. Should be enough time to decide whether the device is actually useful to me! Wink

Quite a few accessories out there: keyboard/case and even mice (mouses, meeces? Wink)

I already have a capacitative stylus, which hopefully will work on the Nexus. Has anyone bought accessories for their tablet (of whatever type) - or does this kinda defeat the object?

StrayCat
8 Apr 2013 - 10:03 PM

I haven't bought any accessories for the N7 yet CB, but I would like to have a protective case to keep the dust off of it. I don't use protective screens btw, they're the devil ti install, and mess up the view, imo. The grandchildren have been using mine unsupervised, 7 and 3 years of age, for many hours, and there isn't a mark on it, it's a Corningware screen.

Carabosse
8 Apr 2013 - 11:30 PM

Thanks Denny. I'm a bit of a fusspot about screens - everything I own with a screen has one, except my Kindle .......... and my TV. Grin I drop things sometimes usually screen downwards!)

I'm thinking if I get a case, it might as well be a keyboard/case - they are not that expensive. A mouse might be a step too far! Lol! Wink

Carabosse
8 Apr 2013 - 11:55 PM

Came across this guide, on YouTube, for the Nexus 7. I haven't yet looked at it properly, so can't vouch for the usefulness but it looks promising.

StrayCat
9 Apr 2013 - 5:16 AM

I tried the telephone app that he describes, can't get it to work.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.