Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Take A View 2012

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 1:30 AM

It really doesn't bite me either.

Happy for Simon thou - no one can claim that Simon Butterworth the photographer is not deserving of this award.

However, the Tenement shot would not make it into my personal 'top 100 Simon Butterworth shots' list.... possibly not even my 'top 1000 Simon Butterworth shots' list....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Nov 2012 - 1:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56313 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 12:08 PM

Some interesting comment on the apparent manipulations

http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/lpoty-2012/

derekhansen
derekhansen e2 Member 5184 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom23 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 2:46 PM

Quote:

Digital manipulation or not, I still think it is a far superior photograph to Butterworth's tenements.

I thinks David Byrnes image is superb but thats not the point. Under the rules of the competition or rather the class it was entered into digital manipulation is not permitted. From what I have read there was no intention to deceive on Davids part he just didnt read the rules. I think that the competition holders must shoulder a good proportion of the blame for the whole fiasco. If you impose rules about manipulation and you offer a 10,000 prize for one of the most prestigeous titles in Landscape photography you should really be capable of detecting if your rules have been broken before you make the announcement. As I understand the reason for overturning the result came about because of suspicions raised and questions asked by people outside of LPOTY . Take a View should be taking a long hard look at policing the images they decide to give awards to, saving themselves and the David Byrnes a great deal of grief and embaressment.

icphoto
icphoto  131343 forum posts England
5 Nov 2012 - 3:15 PM

The winning image does nothing for me - sorry. I appreciate that Byrnes image broke the rules, but lets face it, it is the better of the two. Which one would you hang on your wall?

JJGEE
JJGEE  96288 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 3:22 PM

Quote: Which one would you hang on your wall?

Probably neither.

sonicoldie
5 Nov 2012 - 10:34 PM

My first thought upon seeing the original "winning" image was one of disappointment - it was just too far removed from reality for my liking. As to the new winner, well congratulations to Simon Butterworth. I am no judge and I don't wish to take anything away from him; winning such a huge comp is a real achievement, but personally, I find the image to be rather depressing and uninspiring, but hey, what do I know?
I think that given the cost of entry and the huge profile of this comp, the organisers really should not have made such an error of judgement. It was not difficult to see that the original winner was manipulated; surely they know their own rules? A bit of a farce really.

Last Modified By sonicoldie at 5 Nov 2012 - 10:36 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96288 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2012 - 8:53 AM

Quote: I find the image to be rather depressing and uninspiring

Perhaps that is how it is, a "Classic " view the people in that area of Glasgow readily recognise and associate with.

User_Removed
6 Nov 2012 - 10:54 AM

Does anyone know Simon Butterwotrh?

I have often wondered if he is the son of a guy who used to work beside me in Edinburgh - a Neil Butterworth who was a music lecturer at a college I also worked in.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2012 - 11:10 AM

Simon is a member here, but he hasn't uploaded anything since 2007.

sonicoldie
6 Nov 2012 - 7:28 PM

He has a website which I looked at - clearly a talented photographer.

skipper1
skipper1  6 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2012 - 6:59 PM

I was 'commended' and am in the exhibition after trying for 5years .......it is sooooo hard to get accepted....but nobody is talking about my pic I am afraid....but I am going to see the exhibition next week and am very excited....here is my pic http://www.paulanthonywilson.co.uk/

Gregww1
Gregww1  1 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2012 - 11:18 AM

Quote: I was 'commended' and am in the exhibition after trying for 5years .......it is sooooo hard to get accepted....but nobody is talking about my pic I am afraid....but I am going to see the exhibition next week and am very excited....here is my pic http://www.paulanthonywilson.co.uk/

Actually Paul nobody really discusses images that were merely 'commended', it's all about the winners, which is a great shame because IMHO there are many images, including yours, which are far better than the winners...but it is only my opinion of course. Actually, I'll admit, when I first got the book only a handfull of images stopped me from flicking through the pages in order to read the accompanying comment and to take in the scene....your Heather Management image was one of those. I was really impressed with how you've managed to expose the flames and not undercook the smoke. Well done and congratulations on your commendation. I hope it doesn't take me 5 years, but for some reason I'm not going to bet my house on it.

How was the exhibition?

derekhansen
derekhansen e2 Member 5184 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom23 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 1:43 PM

The company I work for are building a temporary theatre at the National Theatre so I have the opportunity to pop in to the exhibition once a week, which is nice.
Whats noticable is that the new overall winner is not in the prominent and obvious position where the winners have previously been displayed. Its tucked around the first corner on a poorly lit wall. I think I would be rather fed up if I was Simon Butterworth. ( I suppose a 10,000 prize might provide some consolation.)
The only reference to the 'incident' of the disqualification of David Byrnes images is in a small 'errata' stuck into the front of the book which is displayed on a stand.
These things aside the displayed images are superb and if you are visiting London this free exhibition is well worth seeing.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.