Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Taking camera abroad

19 Aug 2007 11:48PM
Am traveling to spain in Oct, would like any advice on camera care(D200) regards fllght security, batteries, cf cards etc
thanks

Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2007 11:52PM
Keep it with you, do not use a camera bag with only one strap, (too easy to be nicked). If possible use a rucksack that looks well worn and not like a shiny new one with lots of kit.

Advice for going through a variety of airports and having a laptop stolen at knife point in the metro outside CDG in Paris.

as for X-Ray machines etc, stick the whole kit through them no problems ans keep it all in hand luggage.
justin c 10 4.5k 36 England
19 Aug 2007 11:52PM
Take your camera, lenses, etc into the plane as hand luggage rather than checking it into the hold.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
20 Aug 2007 8:29AM

Quote:Take your camera, lenses, etc into the plane as hand luggage rather than checking it into the hold.

.....and don't forget you're only allowed one item of hand luggage.

......Mike
guidoa 13 1.3k United Kingdom
20 Aug 2007 11:10AM
In this day and age, and with all the restrictions at airports and airlines, it is less hassle to take a decent compact digi which can be slipped into a pocket. Then at your destination you are not prey to thieves e.g a friend of mine was walking down the steps of a museum in Madrid with his DSLR round his neck, someone cut the straps,and pushed him, he fell down the steps and ended up on crutches for several weeks.
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
20 Aug 2007 11:21AM
We go abroad about 3 times a year, and every time, all my camera gear comes with me, in my hand luggage. Never had any problems yet, just a few "wow, thatīs a big lens!". In fact last time, was the first time they have actually asked me open my camera bag.
SteveCharles 11 2.3k 18 England
20 Aug 2007 11:23AM
Went to Santorini this year, my hand luggage was a Lowepro slingshot 300 filled with D200 and assorted lenses and stuff, including tripod head, and packed my tripod in the case. No problems with security at either end.
elowes 10 2.8k United Kingdom
20 Aug 2007 2:40PM
Always take camera as hand luggage. The one bag rule is generally only in the UK/USA for going through security. Most airlines will let you take more than one bag on board, otherwise it would kill the duty free businesses in the airport.

I put my tripod in the hold luggage but not anything else.

I have in the past been stood over by armed police while my kit was searched.

This year I used KLM to Greece via Schiphol. People there were taking two or more bags through.

One problem I had was they lost the luggage going out and coming back! By taking my camera kit as hand luggage I only had a clean pair of shorts and a pair of pants for two days as this was all I could squeeze in.

As for crime, you could as easily be robbed in your own home town. You need to be as aware as you can of what is going on around you and take a few sensible precautions. Don't flaunt it, stay in well lit areas, keep your hand on your camera or keep it in a bag that you do not put on your back. And remember (if you can when the adrenalin flows); It is better to let it go than to fight and end up getting injured.
ahollowa 10 1.1k England
20 Aug 2007 7:28PM

Quote:In this day and age, and with all the restrictions at airports and airlines, it is less hassle to take a decent compact digi which can be slipped into a pocket. Then at your destination you are not prey to thieves e.g a friend of mine was walking down the steps of a museum in Madrid with his DSLR round his neck, someone cut the straps,and pushed him, he fell down the steps and ended up on crutches for several weeks.

I have heard that compacts are more likely to be stolen. Easier to grab, easier to hide and easier to sell. It is like in the bike world. Far more scooters are stolen than much higher priced superbikes as they are easier to steal and sell.

cheers

Al.
Lou_C 7 755 2 England
20 Aug 2007 7:32PM
Personally I would only take my compact if going on a beachy type holiday, imagine all that sand in your D200 Sad but if its a sight seeing then as the others have said keep it with you on the plane, you only need to watch the airline reality programmes to see how they throw baggage around.

I only have a camera bag with a single strap, but I put it over my head and across my body so it cant be stolen
javam e2
10 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2007 7:50PM
I have bought a peli 1510 for an upcoming trip as it is the largest case that fits within the hand luggage restrictions, but if I can not take it through for any reason I will sling it in a sports bag and put it in the hold.

When I get there I will transfer what I need on a day by day basis to my Slingshot 200.
fishiee e2
10 469 3 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2007 8:33PM
You can fit a heck of a lot of gear into a 'plain old rucksack' and take it on as hand luggage. The size limits are pretty big now. I can take 12KG in a regular sized rucksack no problems and people take on small suitcases even (though fitting them in the overhead compartments is quite amusing to watch!).

As has been said above, you are open to mugging anywhere in the world, you just have to be sensible.

My gear has been to some 'dodgy' countries and I have had no problems what so ever with security. A few times people want to look in the bag just to look at the lenses etc. but that is all. In fact the only real problem I have had is on a flight from Paris to Congo where the security guy in Paris thought the 12 inch rubber fish in my hand luggage(It was a fishing trip and they were the bait!) was a bunch of bananas which are not allowed! There were no problems at all in Congo with my camera gear (I'd moved the rubber fish into cargo for the return flight to be safe!) which has to be easily the scariest airport I have ever been in in my life and the perfect oportunity for someone to try something on which they did readily in the 3 hours (!!!) it took to get through the airport and onto the flight, but not once about my camera.
fauxtography 9 6.6k 36
20 Aug 2007 8:52PM
first thing is check with your airline, and see what your allowance is... if it's a budget airline you'll find that you have small size and weight restrictions. Mytravel for instance limit hand luggage to 5kgs and they will weigh it.
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
20 Aug 2007 10:13PM

Quote:if it's a budget airline you'll find that you have small size and weight restrictions

Not always, BMIBaby have no weight restriction, if you can lift it up to the overhead locker, you can take it! Physical size restriction, but not weight.
J4MIE 7 38 Scotland
21 Aug 2007 12:23AM
I take all my kit with me whenever I go anywhere. I have a Tamrac expedition 5 filled up and have been searched every single time going through security... only found out a few months ago that it was cos of all the stuff they couldn't see through it properly on the xray.

As everyone else has said, you just need to be careful. Enjoy it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.