Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Taking care of your Christmas present

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3799 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2013 - 4:17 PM

I have been chatting to a neighbour just returned from a Skiing break in Switzerland..........at the airport whilst waiting for a lift, he returned a luggage trolley to the rack.......YES! You guessed it....

......When he returned to his bags, a backpack containing a brand new unused iPad, his camera plus other personal bits and bobs had been stolen........The theft ruined what had been planned as a great Christmas break.....he is still negotiating with Swiss officialdom and insurance companies.

Two hard lessons learned here...

1: NEVER EVER leave your bags unattended at an airport........opportunists thieves are instantly on the prowl looking for victims just like him.

2: Read the small print on both the purchase protection on any expensive brand new goods, and that of your.....House Contents .....insurance......He had recently agreed to take a cheaper option, not realizing that it compromised claiming for items taken out of the UK.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hobbo

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Jan 2013 - 4:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2013 - 4:35 PM

Two things.....first of all, how daft was he to leave his bag unattended in such a busy place?
    Second, leaving baggage unattended anywhere is stupid in the extreme, in that a travel hub is an ideal place for terrorism and you are possibly going to cause an evacuation at best, a controlled explosion at worst. Irresponsible.

I found an unattended suitcase at a station once, and having ascertained the owner wasn't nearby, was about to get the transport police to evacuate...it was a large suitcase! The owner then appeared, having left it to buy a ticket, and wanted an argument as to why such an interfering busybody (language moderated) had caused a fuss. I pointed out the possible blast effect of a bomb that size, and the number of men, women and children likely to be in the blast radius. After the police had reiterated it several times, and in no uncertain manner, the error of his ways, they let him go after his train had departed with the possibility of a caution for wasting police time or arrest under the Prevention of Terrorism act. He went from punchy to humble just as his train left!

Nick

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43928 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2013 - 6:52 PM

Quote: Two things.....first of all, how daft was he to leave his bag unattended in such a busy place?
    Second, leaving baggage unattended anywhere is stupid in the extreme, in that a travel hub is an ideal place for terrorism and you are possibly going to cause an evacuation at best, a controlled explosion at worst. Irresponsible.
    Nick

Totally agree.
    A few years ago OH and i were waiting for a delayed flight at Heathrow, we found seats right next to the El Al security area. A teenage girl stopped and asked us to look after her baggage trolley while she went to the ladies, as the cubicle wasn't large enough to accomodate a trolley. I declined, pointing out the error of her ways in asking strangers to pass her things. She found a couple of her own age nearby to look after ther trolley. I immediately alerted the nearest policeman - being in the vicinity of the El Al desk meant there were several, all armed. An armed WPC fetched the girl out of the ladies and ascertained that she was genuine, just extremely naive.
    Just think how it looks before you act.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96311 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2013 - 8:38 PM

Quote: how daft was he to leave his bag unattended in such a busy place

Hands Up, I have done something similar a few times.

1) Attending outdoor events that has portable toilet cubicles and leaving the camera backpack outside as there is not enough room inside ! !

2) Stopping off at a cafe / pub and leaving the backpack " reserving " a table & chair whilst you go and order.

dcash29
    dcash29  81908 forum posts England
    4 Jan 2013 - 10:15 PM

I think 'daft' is rather a soft word, I'd much rather use Stupid or even better...THICK.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315591 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Jan 2013 - 11:24 PM

Quote: 1: NEVER EVER leave your bags unattended at an airport

1: NEVER EVER leave your bags unattended anywhere

puertouk
    puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2013 - 12:23 PM

These people are moronic. In this day and age, people should know not to leave anything unattended. Not because it may get pinched, but more seriously, because of terrorism. I had a brand new set of golf clubs and irons stolen out of the golf club carpark in Blackpool some years back. The evil sods broke a window (in broad daylight) opened the boot and off they went, never to be seen again, over 1,200 quid!

User_Removed
    5 Jan 2013 - 8:17 PM

If that had happened at a UK airport, you would have been guilty of a criminal offence for leaving baggage unattended - and your precious camera gear would have been taken away and destroyed in a controlled explosion.

Come to think of it, did you check with Airport Security that this is not exactly what happened in your case?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.