Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

taking long daytime exposure with bridge camera

steve_i 3 517 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 1:25PM
I am struggling with taking long daytime exposure's with my fujifilm s4080 bridge camera ,all i want is take shot that last upto 8 seconds in exposure without it over exposing and the light blowing out the shot Sad
any help will so gratfully recieved
Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andart 12 481 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 1:35PM
set it to its lowest ISO and if poss the smallest aperture (ie f22) and use a ND (neutral density) filter to reduce the light getting in. You will have to try different strengths fo ND filter to get the shutter speed you want.
26 Jan 2013 3:43PM
ive tried this but smallest aperture i can get is f10 with a nd8 and still i get to much light in , thinking i might need some more filters or just a better camera lol
26 Jan 2013 4:47PM
More filters is much cheaper Wink
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 5:27PM
Try the Lee stopper, that will do the trick.
duratorque 11 413 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 6:07PM
Since you can only stop down to f10, I think you need a 10stop ND filter. ND8 is only 3 stops.
26 Jan 2013 7:11PM
i think your all right, me thinks its off to the camera shop, well if they hadnt gone broke and closed lol cheers everyone so far
pablophotographer 3 464 185
26 Jan 2013 7:20PM
Hi Steve, f10 doesn't seem normal to me. It should be going higher.
Go to manual mode or the aperture mode and try to change the aperture setting from there.
Also post the question "what is the aperture range of s4080" in the fuji cameras forum to see what the other users will answer.
duratorque 11 413 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 11:08PM
The Fuji S4080 only give you very limited number of aperture settings depending on zoom. I think t the wide end, you can only set to f3.1 or f8, at the telephoto end only f5.9, f8 or f20 are available. It is not a great camera to develop your photography.
27 Jan 2013 12:01AM
Thanks Duratorque , i think your right about the aperture sizes but its all i could afford at the time, if anyone has a sugesstion for a good camera at the same sort of money please tell me
27 Jan 2013 10:36AM
I'm looking to buy a set of ND filters and searching the net I find "Neewer" filters at very reasonable prices compared to a lot. Anybody any experience of these filters please? I was looking at an "adjustable" one rather than carry a set around, but working on polarising it seems one can get "star" patterns at the cross-over point?
Any advice would be appreciated.
27 Jan 2013 10:43AM
I've got the nd8 filter from "Neewer" found it very good when taking in bright daylight buildings ,i've got more defined detail of the stone carvings i also used it to take longer exposure in low light also with good effect, i also want the adjustable one so if you get one before me let us know how well it work pleased Cheddar-caveman
27 Jan 2013 11:50AM
When I was looking at the adjustable one there were several negative comments along the lines of this one I've copied:

"I bought this to save space instead of having a set of filters, 2ND, 4ND and 8ND. However when the front element of the filter is set beyond about 4ND there is a definite cross shaped light/dark effect on the image. This is mentioned in the enclosed instructions but is not in the description above. The filter comrpises 2 polarised elements and the cross effect is an unfortunate artifact of the design. You can prove this by holding 2 circular polarising filters up to the light back to back. When one is rotated it works fine until a certain point then the artifact appears. I had to send the item back since the effect was quite noticeable."
It would be very annoying if you just happened to have them set at that point for a "one off" shot and found that effect!
Based on this I'm going with the X3 set for just 8.86 from Amazon
27 Jan 2013 12:20PM
Um, just read some more comments on the Neewer filters and most seem to say "not very good quality" but then I guess you get what you pay for! Having said that, anybody used TRIXES filters?
pablophotographer 3 464 185
27 Jan 2013 7:34PM

Quote:Um, just read some more comments on the Neewer filters and most seem to say "not very good quality" but then I guess you get what you pay for! Having said that, anybody used TRIXES filters?

I think this question has more chances to be answered in the Accessories section of the forum. I think Cokin would be a reasonable option but have not bought one recently.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.