Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

taking long daytime exposure with bridge camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    steve_i
    steve_i  3463 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Jan 2013 - 1:25 PM

I am struggling with taking long daytime exposure's with my fujifilm s4080 bridge camera ,all i want is take shot that last upto 8 seconds in exposure without it over exposing and the light blowing out the shot Sad
    any help will so gratfully recieved
    Steve

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Jan 2013 - 1:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andart
    andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Jan 2013 - 1:35 PM

set it to its lowest ISO and if poss the smallest aperture (ie f22) and use a ND (neutral density) filter to reduce the light getting in. You will have to try different strengths fo ND filter to get the shutter speed you want.

Last Modified By andart at 26 Jan 2013 - 1:36 PM
    steve_i
    26 Jan 2013 - 3:43 PM

ive tried this but smallest aperture i can get is f10 with a nd8 and still i get to much light in , thinking i might need some more filters or just a better camera lol

cheddar-caveman
    26 Jan 2013 - 4:47 PM

More filters is much cheaper Wink

puertouk
    puertouk  21055 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jan 2013 - 5:27 PM

Try the Lee stopper, that will do the trick.

duratorque
    duratorque  11412 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Jan 2013 - 6:07 PM

Since you can only stop down to f10, I think you need a 10stop ND filter. ND8 is only 3 stops.

steve_i
    26 Jan 2013 - 7:11 PM

i think your all right, me thinks its off to the camera shop, well if they hadnt gone broke and closed lol cheers everyone so far

pablophotographer

Hi Steve, f10 doesn't seem normal to me. It should be going higher.
    Go to manual mode or the aperture mode and try to change the aperture setting from there.
    Also post the question "what is the aperture range of s4080" in the fuji cameras forum to see what the other users will answer.

duratorque
    duratorque  11412 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Jan 2013 - 11:08 PM

The Fuji S4080 only give you very limited number of aperture settings depending on zoom. I think t the wide end, you can only set to f3.1 or f8, at the telephoto end only f5.9, f8 or f20 are available. It is not a great camera to develop your photography.

steve_i
    27 Jan 2013 - 12:01 AM

Thanks Duratorque , i think your right about the aperture sizes but its all i could afford at the time, if anyone has a sugesstion for a good camera at the same sort of money please tell me

cheddar-caveman
    27 Jan 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'm looking to buy a set of ND filters and searching the net I find "Neewer" filters at very reasonable prices compared to a lot. Anybody any experience of these filters please? I was looking at an "adjustable" one rather than carry a set around, but working on polarising it seems one can get "star" patterns at the cross-over point?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

steve_i
    27 Jan 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've got the nd8 filter from "Neewer" found it very good when taking in bright daylight buildings ,i've got more defined detail of the stone carvings i also used it to take longer exposure in low light also with good effect, i also want the adjustable one so if you get one before me let us know how well it work pleased Cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman
    27 Jan 2013 - 11:50 AM

When I was looking at the adjustable one there were several negative comments along the lines of this one I've copied:

"I bought this to save space instead of having a set of filters, 2ND, 4ND and 8ND. However when the front element of the filter is set beyond about 4ND there is a definite cross shaped light/dark effect on the image. This is mentioned in the enclosed instructions but is not in the description above. The filter comrpises 2 polarised elements and the cross effect is an unfortunate artifact of the design. You can prove this by holding 2 circular polarising filters up to the light back to back. When one is rotated it works fine until a certain point then the artifact appears. I had to send the item back since the effect was quite noticeable."
    It would be very annoying if you just happened to have them set at that point for a "one off" shot and found that effect!
    Based on this I'm going with the X3 set for just 8.86 from Amazon

Last Modified By cheddar-caveman at 27 Jan 2013 - 11:51 AM
    cheddar-caveman
    27 Jan 2013 - 12:20 PM

Um, just read some more comments on the Neewer filters and most seem to say "not very good quality" but then I guess you get what you pay for! Having said that, anybody used TRIXES filters?

pablophotographer

Quote: Um, just read some more comments on the Neewer filters and most seem to say "not very good quality" but then I guess you get what you pay for! Having said that, anybody used TRIXES filters?

I think this question has more chances to be answered in the Accessories section of the forum. I think Cokin would be a reasonable option but have not bought one recently.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.