Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

taking my camera into the M.E.N

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jaecat
    jaecat  729 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Jul 2011 - 5:44 PM

hi im hoping someone can help me.here goes. im going to a music concert in november and would love to take my fz38 panasonic camera with me.i have read the t&c and they say compact cameras and cameras that dont have attacherable lens are ok.but im un sure as to my camera.any advise would be fantastic.as this is for me and my family a once in a life time sort of thing.also need to point out we will be at the disabled seats so have a much better view.should i take my old compact as a backup plan?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jul 2011 - 5:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jul 2011 - 6:03 PM

I think you are OK with regards the T&C for the Panasonic - it is called 'hybrid compact' and has a fixed lens. If they said 'no photography' then it would be a risk for you, but they are quite specific about which cameras are permissible. I think you could easily argue your case with any security goon. I would take it. Maybe you should take your old compact as well as back-up if they get you to agree not to use the Panasonic.
    Are you disabled yourself? You could play the emotional blackmail card big time Grin

Last Modified By mikehit at 29 Jul 2011 - 6:04 PM
    jaecat
    29 Jul 2011 - 6:27 PM

Grin thank you so much for your advise mikehit.i think its worth a try. and yes im disabled i could always give it a go and if i dont get anywhere i could always poke with one of my cruches!Tongue

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jul 2011 - 7:09 PM

I think you should print out the relevant bit of the T&Cs (assuming it's not on the ticket) and keep it with you. The Panasonic FZ38 could look like a DSLR to the uninitiated!

franken
    franken e2 Member 123173 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2011 - 8:19 AM

I went to the O2 arena in may to see Rush. Having not been there before and not finding any info on the ticket or the O2 site relating to cameras I didn't take my compact camera.

When I got there there were signs stating that small cameras are allowed but ones with removable lenses were not.

I was gutted as just about everyone appeared to have a compact/ phone with them! About six seats from where I was sitting was a young man with a Nikon Slr and he was using a long Zoom!

Ken

BarrieNeilPhotography

Hi Ken .. just because he did doesn't mean he should have and they can get VERY heavy about this sort of thing so whilst you could get away with it (as it would seem this guy did), the organisers do have the right to remove you or your equipment. I was recently covering a few McFly concerts and every other person had a camera (or so it seemed) and it wasn't an issue at two of them however at the third, we saw several people have a 'talking too' about photography.

You will find it varies according to artiste and venue. Generally for us pros using 'the pit' it is "first three then out" (which is a pain as they barely get warmed up) though again, this varies (I was there 'officially' for McFly in these instances so I was allowed to stay as long as I wanted or until my ears couldn't stand it any longer Grin)

One thing to mention is the use of flash. If the concert is a solo artiste then you can imagine how disruptive this can be both to the performer and the rest of the audience so avoid at all costs. If is is a pop/rock band, whilst flash is likely to go unnoticed, it completely destroys any atmosphere created by the stage lights etc so again, avoid.

The people at the MEN are pretty relaxed and approachable (they deal with this all the time) so try and have a word before the concert begins. Far better to speak first than to try and fight your corner once the event has started however bear in mind that the venue operators are often working according to rules laid down by artiste management (which are often bizarre and arbitrary) Smile

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 30 Jul 2011 - 8:42 AM
    ZeroDragon
    31 Jul 2011 - 1:56 PM

If people turn up with professional looking equipment, venues could consider that the photos are for professional gain and not personal enjoyment.

I found the staff at the MEN Arena weren't bothered about me and my Panasonic FZ18 at all. In fact one of them asked me for a copy sending of one of the pics. Nor were they at Sheffield Motorpoint Arena. Unlike the draconian adherence to threaten confiscation of anything that can record anything in any way at Sheffield City Hall where you are pounced upon if you are seen reading or sending a text prior to the concert and advised in no uncertain terms that any recording devices, be it sound, photo or video, will be confiscated and can be collected at the end of the concert. Those are the venue rules and they will be enforced.

Jestertheclown
    31 Jul 2011 - 2:40 PM

I recently attended as concert by children from a number of local schools, including the one in which I work and I was at the theatre all day. I asked the guy in charge if it would be OK to take some photographs and was told that during rehearsals, I could do so from wherever I wanted to; anywhere within the theatre, including on the stage!
    During the performance, however, the use of any cameras was stricly banned and the ban was strictly enforced. More than one family was ejected because Dad insisted it was his right to take photographs.
    It would seem though, that the restrictions in your case are somewhat less severe.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 31 Jul 2011 - 2:41 PM
    jaecat
    1 Aug 2011 - 8:43 AM

thanks so much for all your info guys.given me food for thought.Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.