Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Taking photos of people in public

greatdog 6 21 England
16 Aug 2009 9:13AM
I want to put a photo on of the train driver of the swanage railway.The photo is in black and white and he is the main subject of the photo,could he or a member of his family if they see the shot object to this? Thanks for any help,Dane.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
16 Aug 2009 9:40AM
Did you take it in a public place? My understanding is that if you took in a public place and it does not show the subject in a bad light (I mean in a damaging, defamatory way... not dodgy lighting!), then there are very few grounds for complaint (although if you wanted to sell the photo, you would probably need a 'release').
mark_delta 7 1.3k
16 Aug 2009 12:23PM
it is impossible to deframe anyone in a photo as you are only capturing what they were doing, i suppose if you captioned it to say they were doing something else other than what they were, say said a MP was having a bit with a goat when in fact he was only washing it then that would be liable.
But in the UK have no right to privacy in a public place and you have no right to claim defamation if you are photographed doing something you should not have been doing !
And no you dont need a "release "to sell it as you have no contract with the subject, it's just a street picture in which he happened to appear.
Snap away
Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2009 6:11PM
ripleysalien 8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2009 11:58AM
In short no, unless you have made him look a complete spanner.
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 141 England
17 Aug 2009 12:27PM

Quote:ay said a MP was having a bit with a goat

They'd only worry if they were found out to had claimed it on expenses

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.