Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

taking shots repeatedly

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    essexphotographer1

does anyone know about flashguns as i saw a photographer using his camera and flashgun and wondered how he could just click away with the flash going off each time in succession one shot after another repeatedly without waiting for the flash to re charge, if anyone can answer this and what is the average price of such equipment please can anyone advise for a nikon D90

Thanks
    Tony

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Oct 2013 - 8:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    22 Oct 2013 - 8:26 PM

One of the advantages of the more expensive speedlights is a faster recycle time. Some may even be tethered to an external power pack.

Recycle time also depends upon how much of the stored energy is discharged with each flash. The lower the flash setting, the less this will be.

Using fill-in flash in daylight on a low setting uses relatively little energy and consequently allows a much faster recycle.

Dedicated flash from Camera manufacturers like Nikon and Canon can cost anywhere in the 200 - 500 bracket but 3rd-party suppliers such as Nissin and Metz can be less than half those prices.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 10:00 PM

The more expensive units will always be better and more economical in the long run, the innards are made from far better grade and quality of components.

puertouk
    puertouk  21068 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 9:46 AM

As Gundog says, he could have had his flash connected to a power supply. If not, he would have had the flash on manual, maybe using 1/4 - 1/8 power or maybe he had a power supply and had the flash settings as I have pointed out. Buy a top of the range model, either Nikon or Canon. You could be a little embarrassed if your flash packs up on you when on a shoot. If you are doing this commercially, I would also suggest purchasing a power pack as well.
    Stephen

indemnity
    indemnity  5328 forum posts
    23 Oct 2013 - 12:23 PM

All been said. Using a higher iso also reduces the drain on power so recycle time quicker too.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 3:04 PM

slightly different slant on it...

what specifically are you going to be doing?

if you are shooting "on camera" using "ETTL" then get yourself a higher end own brand model, or maybe the Nissin 866.

However - if you are shooting "off camera" using "manual only" triggers, I'd look at budget manual flashes

2 reasons

1 - you'll be shooting on Manual anyway, so no need for expensive ETTL
    2 - when they fall over and smash in a big gust of wind, you'll only lose 30-100 - not 300-600

The third possibility is using ETTL triggers - where you will need ETTL enabled flashes. I've never done this... so really advise either way

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 3:17 PM

Quote: However - if you are shooting "off camera" using "manual only" triggers, I'd look at budget manual flashes

Or grab a bag full of old legacy units, a bit slower to power up though Smile

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 3:25 PM

I've got 2 old legacy units - never use them

430EZ and some Jessops thing I got from a camera shop

they work... that's about all you can say. the 430's ok actually... but you have to sit around waiting for a while for it to catch up

you can get 3 Yongnuo's with an alleged 58GN for about 120 - simplest things ever to use Wink

Paul Morgan
    23 Oct 2013 - 3:30 PM

I tend to use these older units with leaf shutters, modern units are no match for the older units, you can often get away with using far higher shutter speeds Smile

Someone told me it had something to do with the older units using a different gas in the flash tube.

Legacy units, there generally about a quid each in Oxfam Smile

ade_mcfade
    23 Oct 2013 - 3:57 PM

never seen any of your flash work Paul - what kinda thing you into?

Paul Morgan
    23 Oct 2013 - 7:50 PM

All, sorts mostly off camera and a bit of studio stuff, I don`t really upload much these days.

One thing I do insist on buying cheaply are flash triggers, lost count of the number I have trodden on or simply left somewhere Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Oct 2013 - 7:51 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.