Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Talking about kit is tedious... ?

ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
8 Mar 2011 1:36PM
We've all got kit, be it a nokia phone or a Hass H3.

Its nice to have, better kit is nicer to have than poor kit. Kit is being upgraded a lot too - so what was new kit today is old kit tomorrow.

That's about as far as I like to go with the "kit" conversation.

When out taking photos, you will see me glaze over and walk off if you start going on and on about the latest news from Canon about their new mega-dooby-wooby-XXX-ultra-high-iso-5D.

Show me a fantastic building, waterfall, model - talk about ideas for shoots - talk about lighting patterns which have worked - talk about the excitement of a previous shoot - talk passionately about "photography" and taking photos - maybe talking about the new world of possibilies which some kit opens for you is worth discussing too

But are you like me and find kit talk just really dull and pointless, or is it what you like about photography?

It's like "ok, you're thinking of getting the new canon 10-100 F1.8 - good for you - but WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH IT? Wink"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

randomrubble 10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 1:44PM

Quote:WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH IT?

Keep it wrapped in a microfibre cloth in it's box in ahuidty controlled glass fronted cabinet of course. Grin
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
8 Mar 2011 1:47PM

Quote:WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH IT?

Casually mention your ownership of it at dinner parties - you don't need to actually use it! smug-light.jpg

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 1:47PM
I don't mind a little bit of kit talk, but only a little. I would rather be getting tips on good places to photograph (especially around the Pendle area at the moment. Smile)
8 Mar 2011 1:49PM
Saw you wandering around Focus yesterday Ade, Pete confirmed it was you, you were just off to meet BigBri. Should have said hello, but i was ready to kill after being bumped and pushed by all them photographers.

Kit talk - No, Just taking pictures - Yes

Next time.

jken
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
8 Mar 2011 1:52PM
what's the date of the meet Ian?

I know what'll happen if I come now - everyone will be talking about kit to me Wink

Kit talk is a bit like a computer nerd who built his own PC from scratch (after months of research and waiting for the latest chipset to come out) telling you why he selected that mother board and memory, and the performance metrics of his ultra graphics card..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
randomrubble 10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 1:53PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that it's absolutely essential to shoot some test targets to make sure the New Thing really is sharper than the Old Thing, before putting it away until the Even Newer Thing makes the New Thing into the Old Thing...
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 1:54PM

Quote: i was ready to kill after being bumped and pushed by all them photographers

That was probably me - sorry.

Wink
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
I think I will carry my old (near 20 yrs) Hasselblad 500 C/M tomorrow around Focus not as male jewellery, not to take photographs; it is built like a brick outhouse and anyone who dares bump into it will know about it Grin

There .... I talked about kit again Tongue

Peter.
Come on, let's talk about motherboards !
8 Mar 2011 1:56PM
What pissed me off were all the people wearing backpacks, who don't mind turning round and smashing it into you, but who get snotty when you then use said backpack to remove them from your vicinity.....
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
8 Mar 2011 2:02PM
yeah - every time a talk finished, they'd all rush forwards with their cameras pointing at the poor model, their backpacks making a pattern not unlike a tortoise shell or phalanx formation!

mother boards.... more like muthaf******s Wink
8 Mar 2011 2:08PM
Having a solid box holding a very heavy tripod head swinging at knee height helps tremendously in those situations... Wink
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 2:08PM

Quote:what's the date of the meet Ian?

March 27 Ade, meeting page here
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 2:09PM
After spending years getting to a decent kit level, yes you do eventually realise its mostly NOT the kit but the Tog.
But indulge us geeks a bit when we say i've finally got a high ISO capable camera, with fast focus and 25 fps video and stills Wink Until then i've being imagining all the shots i may have got if only the kit could deliver it - saves blaming myself.

When finally we realise that every shoot is its own project with its own constraints to work within, then we realise that the kit no longer matters.
All we need to do then is learn to take the time to take the best shot that's there to be taken.

Yes i did build my own computer from scratch, using an Intel 8085 processor, 64k of AMD EPROM, and 32k of Hitachi SRAM, with an Altera PLD for the address decoding and logic....zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.