Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Talking about kit is tedious... ?

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
8 Mar 2011 2:29PM
The worst kinda kit talk is people comparing manufacturers models and saying that their manufacturer is better than yours - for 10 reasons they list, based on 15 different reviews, which again they list...

Obviously its usually canon v nikon

Often on this kinda theme....

"well I think you'll find that the noise performance of the D700 is vastly superior to that of the 5D2 when shooting at ISO6400 in the dark..... "

(note - use the nerdiest nerd voice you can imagine whilst reading that line)

Used shoot with a few nikonians who just went on and on like a fecking dripping tap - I've not shot with them for years, just for too annoying that I gave up on them!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

8 Mar 2011 2:30PM
The stand with the girl in latex gear and the American guy demonstrating the lights, nearly pissed myself laughing watching all the greasy haired blokes snapping away at her, didn't see one stained mac amongst them - impressive....Tongue
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 2:35PM

Quote:didn't see one stained mac amongst them - impressive....

Don't tell me, they had anoraks on instead Wink
LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 2:50PM
Sony can be excluded from the kit talk at least, their stand always seemed to be empty
8 Mar 2011 2:51PM
LOL - I always enjoy Ade's rants Grin

IMHO Camera nerds still have a way to go be be as bad as outdoor gear nerds.
From the first Google result I found with a silly looking name, I give you the North Face Apex Bionic Jacket - "The North Face's most versatile soft shell, it features the acclaimed TNFô Apex ClimateBlock fabric, wind permeability rated at 0 CFM for total defence against howling headwinds as you run, walk or ride - and itís highly water resistant, too."
At least camera nerds buried the ISO v ASA battle a long time ago - outdoor geeks revel in the lack of common standards!
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
8 Mar 2011 3:01PM
Shooting with someone with the same kit is a good leveller - like this weekend with Mac, both got the same basic kit, F4 L lenses and the 70-200 F2.8 IS, we just got on with it, talking about some amazing reflections in buildings in Birmingham, history of the places we were shooting etc.... basically what we were shooting, not what we were shooting with.

Sony's stand was ace - jugglers and all sorts there
hobbo e2
3 891 2 England
8 Mar 2011 5:05PM
Oh! no.....................This could begin the....

What is a REAL photographer debate ....all over again!!!!SadSadWink

hobbo
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
8 Mar 2011 5:08PM
It may actually be linked, but It wasn't in my mind when I started the thread, I must admit!

do you like talking about kit then hobbo?

Love reading lots of reviews and agonising over the minutia of each camera etc.
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
8 Mar 2011 5:21PM
Hmm is this where I should post my test shots ? I've a large collection of the same 2p coin and the same woodlouse for lighting and sharpness tests Grin

I can show you all the little differences between macro lenses and stuff!Tongue
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
8 Mar 2011 5:27PM
lol

there's actually nothing wrong with doing that kinda thing in the privacy of your own home.... but not sure I'd really want to spend half an hour listening about it when we could be using the darn thing Wink
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 5:37PM
OK Here's one for you. do you find different kit makes you photograph in different ways, and does that make you more interested etc.

For example I find using compacts where you frame with the LCD make me look at the geometry of the shot more, so I think colours and geometry more, while a viewfinder makes me concentrate on key subjects more. Daft insane valid conversation or sad git :-( ??

Gear on this site I spend time trying to point out why much of the gear is quite similar these days, could be a waste of time, but I worry about someone who may be persuaded to change systems or buy a lot of kit to find to not that different or has some glaring holes the evangelist missed. Probably a waste of time.
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
8 Mar 2011 5:50PM

Quote:

not sure I'd really want to spend half an hour listening about it when we could be using the darn thing Wink

But would you be using it to its full potential?.....Im guessing not.Wink

Its a brave tog or one limited in thier capabilties that doesnt keep up with knowledge of equipment.Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
8 Mar 2011 6:34PM

Quote:But would you be using it to its full potential?.....Im guessing not

just read the manual

simple
hobbo e2
3 891 2 England
8 Mar 2011 7:10PM
I like talking about kit.......but only for a few minutes, especially if I meet a fellow enthusiast with a half decent camera and lens:

Most clubs and societies for whatever hobby have their resident geeks and bores who talk equipment but don't use it much. .....or when they do.......it is to demonstrate their latest purchase:

What I do to challenge and limit my skills is to fit old M42 lenses to my SONY A55 and adjust to fit the restrictions and manual controls that they dictate.......good fun:

hobbo
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
8 Mar 2011 7:11PM

Quote:But would you be using it to its full potential?.....Im guessing not

just read the manual

simple

Ive read a few manuals of cameras, lenses....But Ive yet to read one that covers comprehensively buildings with windows and reflections....Perhaps you have a copy to share?Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.