Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Talking about kit is tedious... ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2011 - 8:09 PM

I think you're referring to "technique" there Lawbert

unless you class buildings as "photographic kit"

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Mar 2011 - 8:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315200 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2011 - 8:58 PM

Yep

Unless your baiting Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2011 - 10:40 PM

well "getting buildings right" is a technique that is kit-independent, same applies to canon as nikon etc.

techniques are "how" we do things

kit relates to the tools we use

take the humble hammer - we use those to hammer nails in. the technique however is to hold the nail in the place we want it to enter the wood, then accelerate the flat part of the hammer towards the head of the nail - the momentum of the hammer head will cause an impact on the nail, that will then offer opposing force and also some friction as it slides into the wood.... or something like that.

the hammer we use isn't really that important, but the technique is - you end up hitting your hand and getting bruise or broken thumbnail if you get that wrong. Sure, you can get Stanley hammers, they're pretty cool, have a "hook" on the back to pull nails out with too. But in reality, its how "YOU" use it that creates the success or the bruise Wink

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2011 - 10:58 PM

Ahh but the hammer you use is important - greatly important! As you said some hammers have hooks on the end and a good claw is worth investing in over an average hammer with a poorer quality claw (good claws are really good at getting nails out whilst the rest are just average or poor Wink)

And then there is the size of hammer - sledge or toffee? Or something in the middle?
And then you have the actual grip part of the hammer and how well its attached to the head - it is impossible to hammer with a cheap handle safely (at some point the head will fly off). Wink

Technique of course comes into it and explains why someone with a single average hammer can build a great structure that a guy with 50 of the best hammers for each job can't even get the nail in once right.

For some reason though photographers are always mad about splitting things into hammers, the use of and the final product when in the end its all a multi part process. The net just gets more gearheads because - lets face it - gearheads are more likely to use the net to talk about stuff ( cause they can do it on more gear! Wink).

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2011 - 11:00 PM

Is it not that photography by its very nature is more technical in nature than many other equivalent activities.

Overread
8 Mar 2011 - 11:03 PM

I'm 100% sure that dedicated amateur artists spend hour upon hour debating upon the best brushes - paints - mixes of paints - pencils - canvas - easels - the best mix for clay etc.... Wink

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2011 - 11:04 PM

I was thinking the difference between a sketch artist and a draftsman for example.

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2011 - 11:21 PM

I see you use sable never could get on with that myself - always use virgin badger or vietnamese timber mouse for fine detail work.

Hooray at last a posting that I can 100% agree with - and yes it entirely chimes with the thread on Real Photographers.

Wink

ade_mcfade
8 Mar 2011 - 11:22 PM

the hammer analogy holds true with lenses I guess

big lenses - big hammers
little lenses - little hammers

you can make a right arse of a job with any of them if you don't know what you're doing Wink

I guess you can either get on with "photography" or get hung-up on the tools you use.

Overread
8 Mar 2011 - 11:33 PM

Quote: I guess you can either get on with "photography" or get hung-up on the tools you use.

Can't we do both ? TongueWink

ade_mcfade
8 Mar 2011 - 11:41 PM

you can only do one thing at once

so the answer is "no" I guess Tongue

Overread
8 Mar 2011 - 11:59 PM

Quote: You can only do one thing at once

so the answer is "no" I guess Tongue

Is this where the women come in to teach us of multitasking? WinkGrin

ade_mcfade
9 Mar 2011 - 12:07 AM

I was expecting one to jump I must admit Wink

multitasking is a lie - you really can only do one thing at once, you have to "time splice" rather than multi-task... which means you only pay attention to each task a small amount of time before moving to the next, then back to the first then back to the... so you really are better concentrating on the task in hand, then when you've done that, you move on to the next and do that properly Wink

Overread
9 Mar 2011 - 12:30 AM

Heh having just read Thief of Time and Night Watch I'd say if you want time splicing advice have a chat with Lu-Tze. Though in my own mortal experience of time splicing I can say that it does not work when cooking sausages or BBQs (which is why guys always have to do them Tongue)

ade_mcfade
9 Mar 2011 - 12:34 AM

..I just knew about it from my old software engineering days Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.