Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Talking about kit is tedious... ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

spaceman
spaceman  105167 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2011 - 1:55 AM

Quote: they'd all rush forwards with their cameras pointing at the poor model

Oh God, they don't still do those pitiful glamour model things at photo shows do they?
Someone should tell them that it hasn't been the 1970s for 32 yrs.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Mar 2011 - 1:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Alan_Coles
9 Mar 2011 - 10:09 AM

I think you'll find that a big percentage of people who attended the focus thing at some point during their visit will be talking kit - wether it be cameras, lighting, props, etc - it's one of the things that show was put together for?

As for the the other things....

Yup, I took a backpack - its more convenient than carrying a plastic bag for things I wanted to take / carry. If I did accidently knock someone I apologised but with so many people in small areas it would be inevitable I would say...you just try your best not to. I can think of times when people just stopped to look at something and you find yourself shunting each other...ok its mildly annoying at times but it goes with the territory I say.

Model shoots...yep, I took shots of the models where or if I could because its something I haven't got ready accessible back here, willing models, decent light rigs etc. Btw, I handed my mate my backpack/rucsac when doing so. This is only my 2nd year at Focus so these things are new to moi...for those that have done it for many years and have access to these types of things yes it might seem 70's to you but if people didn't enjoy it do you think the stands would do it anymore?

Btw...opened up one of the freebie bag things this morning that were being handed out whilst I was up there...and got myself an epz pen....it doesn't work. Sad

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2011 - 3:01 PM

.....and to think people hark back to the old days Wink

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Mar 2011 - 4:15 PM

Got a freebie bag for attending David Noton's talk on Monday (thanks to EPZ for posting it on Facebook, as tickets were limited).

It contained some Colin Prior cards, a CP desk calendar, and a LowePro bag. Very nice Smile

lawbert
lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2011 - 5:16 PM

Quote: Well "getting buildings right" is a technique that is kit-independent, same applies to canon as nikon etc.

techniques are "how" we do things

kit relates to the tools we use

take the humble hammer - we use those to hammer nails in. the technique however is to hold the nail in the place we want it to enter the wood, then accelerate the flat part of the hammer towards the head of the nail - the momentum of the hammer head will cause an impact on the nail, that will then offer opposing force and also some friction as it slides into the wood.... or something like that.

the hammer we use isn't really that important, but the technique is - you end up hitting your hand and getting bruise or broken thumbnail if you get that wrong. Sure, you can get Stanley hammers, they're pretty cool, have a "hook" on the back to pull nails out with too. But in reality, its how "YOU" use it that creates the success or the bruise Wink

I hope that your knowledge of photography equipment and tecnique is better than your anology hereTongue

I would suggest having a try at things that move to broaden your horizons further than static subjects....

equipment choice and knowledge of it is key to success or faliure....and a discussion (be it nerdy or not in your eyes) really helps on spending the hard earned to make sure you have the right equipment to do the job.

as for hammers....take a look at screwfix or the like and see how technical they are with balanced weights of shafts and heads etc.....It pays to keep up with technology rather than relying on a supposed tecnique.

The correct tool for the job is far better than a tool telling you tecnique is the most important thingTongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.