Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

talkphotography forum (in UK)

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Feb 2013 1:47PM
TalkTalk security is just another line of defence, it's who my ISP is and I speak from experience, I certainly would never rely on it alone. You need to get some other anti-virus/malware software on your machine if you don't already have it it. Back to the original query though, as others including myself haven't had any problems with the site in question I suspect the problem lies with a false negative as Jester has already suggested, it's something TalkTalk seems to be especially prone too. There are plenty of other free Anti-Virus software programs out there that will beef up your security and hopefully stop the problem. Avast, Microsoft, Bit Defender to name a few, but for peace of mind a paid for product will give you that little bit extra. AVG comes highly recommended, both the free & the paid for versions.

As an edit to my post, something I've just thought of is that TalkTalk uses "Java" and this is well known to be full of security flaws to the point that most tech sites advise users to disable it!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

18 Feb 2013 2:02PM
Thanks all, I notified TalkTalk, and asked them to analyse the site concerned. I have tried in the last few minutes and the site is now considered 'safe' and I have been able to get into it no problem, so it looks as though they (TT) have rectified matters.
Ade, If I am right, a second security programme cannot run alongside another ? Or am I wrong on that matter ?
Also, I have not updated 'JavaScript.' and having checked I no longer have it on my laptop. I fully understand that JavaScript, and Java are two entirely different programmes. I posted a query re this on the computer forum here on EPZ last week.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Feb 2013 2:15PM
If you are using TalkTalk's Homesafe system this just uses a custom version of F Secure.......Which is fine for most things, but I'd be inclined to go with a better package and/or using something like the free version of Malwarebytes which will run alongside F Secure quite happily and won't give you any conflicts.......He say's hopefully Smile
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Feb 2013 2:27PM
PS

Java is used for all sorts of web based programs, usually games and widgets etc. Under normal circumstances if you say are using Chrome you'd get a notification that something wants your permission to use Java flash up in the browser.......I'd recommend clicking do not use as it can be a way of getting a back door into your system and creating all manner of problems unbeknown to you, usually installing some sort of malware.......Not good Sad

JavaScript is a programming language not to be confused but very often is with Java.

Think I've got that all right, hope that clear everything up.....Tongue
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
18 Feb 2013 3:04PM
I agree with Ade.

Instal an AV of some kind. I've only ever used the free ones and although they've been beaten a couple of times, I'm a bit skeptical that their paid for cousins would have fared any better.
I don't think that Malwarebytes free edition offers real time protection. Personally I just use it about once a week to scan my machine as a matter of course. I actually keep it on a USB key rather than the hard drive.
There are plenty of other anti-malware programmes out there though that will run in the background.
I'm just not sure which would be the best one.

Bren.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.