Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

TalkTalk e-mail hacked

pentaxpete 9 553 1 England
17 Nov 2012 4:36PM
I had a phone call from a lady who said she was from Talktalk -- she knew my telephone number and my e-mail -- she told me there had been complaints about my IP address -- had I had any e-mails from ;banks; that I do not bank with -- " Well, YES " I said " I got some from Halifax and Nationwide asking me to re-set my details " -- " There have been complaints that people are getting messages from your IP address asking for help with transfer of Funds for a trip to South Africa -- it seems your e-mail has been hacked from NIGERIA" -- well I was amazed -- I told her I have TWO compuuters at the moment, both 'old' models a 'TIME' and the last one is a 'Gateway e-machine' and I have COMODO on the TIME and AVAST on the other -- she aked me to switch on my e-mail ( the cable was plugged into the TIME one ) so I did and she didn't ask me to do anything specifically -- I had a look at 'account' and 'options' in the e-mail but cannot really understand what to do ..... she said I should contact Talktalk and change passwords ----
Well, I have had a little 'box' coming up for some time now saying 'windows has had some conflict with another IP address on the network ' -- could that mean the person in Nigeria ? Could it mean when my Kids are doing homework on a laptop which is connected by a 'Netgear' router we have ? I keep scanning the computers and on the Gateway one I have Malawarebytes + Avast but it has not found anything. On the TIME I have the COMODO but again it doesn't find anything -- one more question -- today as soon as I switched on this TIME one I had a phone call from an 'Asian- Sounding Man' wanting me to ' answer a few questions for a Survey' well, I told him NO -- I don't answer any surveys over the phone any more because of SCAMS !!! Could it be the HACKERS know when my computers are switched onto the Internet ?
Any Help gratefully accepted -- it's a big worry -- I do NOT have any online 'Banking' thank Heavens !!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 4:50PM
check ur accounts see how many are on both computers you should have only ur home users disable guest
17 Nov 2012 5:06PM
I Have some weird things in e-mail 'Accounts' whcih I do not understand ( using Outlook Express ) -- no 'GUEST' but the following :

Account Type Connection

Active Directory Directory Service Local Area Network
Bigfoot Internet :: ::: ::::: :::::: ::::::::
mail. talktalk.net mail ( default) any available
VeriSign Internet Directory Service Local Area Network
WhoWhere Internet ::::: :::::: :::::: :::::::

Never heard of these 'others' especially 'BIGFOOT ' !!! Should I DELETE these -- scared in case I mess up my e-mail connection !
17 Nov 2012 5:17PM
find someone who knows wat they are doing smartish
17 Nov 2012 5:24PM
delete any old emails close any accounts you dont recognise then buy a computer book as it sounds like youv not got a clue and easy pickings
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
17 Nov 2012 5:24PM

Quote:she said I should contact Talktalk

But I thought she WAS from TalkTalk !

Quote:from a lady who said she was from Talktalk -- she knew my telephone number and my e-mail
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
17 Nov 2012 6:58PM

Quote:buy a computer book

Which one would you suggest?
17 Nov 2012 7:04PM
pc for dummies troublshooter
StuartAt e2
10 1.0k 6 England
17 Nov 2012 7:11PM
Why don't you contact Talktalk? At least that way you know you are talking to them rather than someone pretending to be them. Ask them if they know of any issues with your account and ask them how to resolve them. I wouldn't have thought an IP conflict on your own network is something that other people would be aware of. Also, if you are a home user the IP addresses typically get assigned automatically, and it is your router that is assigned, not the computers attached to it.
17 Nov 2012 7:22PM

Quote:
Which one would you suggest?

I was being being sarcastic.

As Stuart says, contact 'Talk talk,' in fact, I'm surprised that you haven't already done so. It's the first thing that I would have done.

I'm equally surprised to hear that you're still using 'Outlook Express.' I thought that that had been put out top grass years ago.
17 Nov 2012 7:28PM
pc for dummies is a good book.you tend to need a book when uv trouble.the bigfoot thing he was on about i googled it could be a trojan
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 10:23AM
Bigfoot Internet is part of Outlook, so do not delete it. Itīs part of the directory service. Go to this link and download Nortonīs Power erazer and run it on your PC. It checks out any backdoor virus on bootup and does a check as well. I have Norton 360 and itīs great.
Stephen
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
18 Nov 2012 10:47AM
Pete its best you call TalkTalk as Stuart suggests. Ideally it would help if you had some one local who could look at your computer too as it sounds a bit of a mess and ripe for virus attack.
18 Nov 2012 3:00PM
Thanks for all your replies - am going to contact Talktalk Monday when they are open -- I bet all your 'Digita and Computer Experts ' who tell me to buy 'Computing for Dummies ' could never load a Paterson Spiral with 120 film or develop FP4+ in ID 11 1+1 dilution !
18 Nov 2012 3:43PM

Quote:Bigfoot Internet is part of Outlook,

Is it also a part of "Outlook Express?" The two are unconnected.

Quote:could never load a Paterson Spiral with 120 film or develop FP4+ in ID 11 1+1 dilution !

Dead right Pete. I couldn't! Neither though, would I ever read 'Computing for dummies."

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.