Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Talktalk Update

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 8:56 AM

Had an email from Talktalk offering a free router software uodate download. I'm very wary about doing stuff like this in case it buggers it up altogether. Has anyone tried it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Feb 2013 - 8:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
22 Feb 2013 - 9:00 AM

I'm with talktalk (for now) and didn't receive anything. When in doubt, just ring up talktalk to confirm.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 22 Feb 2013 - 9:00 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 9:04 AM

Me too...although I just checked and there is a talktalk router upgrade available on the TalkTalk site so it may have been genuine. You can download it from there, if anyone confirms that it worked, and improved their service.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96098 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 9:10 AM

Quote: When in doubt, just ring up talktalk to confirm.

Good Luck with that Wink

If you get through within a week think yourself lucky ! !

dcash29
dcash29  81870 forum posts England
22 Feb 2013 - 9:11 AM

I updated the router and had no issues but go to the site.

Does anyone know how I can stop forty emails a day going into my inbox even though I've spammed them for months?

Because TalkTalk doesn't.

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 10:18 AM

Quote: Does anyone know how I can stop forty emails a day going into my inbox even though I've spammed them for months?

I have the same problem. I can't find a way to block senders on my version.

chris.maddock
22 Feb 2013 - 10:58 AM

If you have POP3 access to the account and usually use a POP3 email client (Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Outlook or similar) to get your emails, I can recommend Mailwasher.
I use the last free version, available from http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page2.html

You run it before your normal client and it interrogates your inbox and only downloads the headers, allowing you to set filters, block senders, etc. Any emails that meet the filter requirements can be set to be deleted automatically so, once you're happy that the filters are working correctly, you need never see the spam again. You can tell it what your main email client is so once it's done any deletions that you instruct it to do, it can then open your client so you can get the emails you actually want.

It can (v1.33 anyway) only display plain text too, so it won't trigger any "nasties" hidden as payloads.

I've been using it for years and rarely get to see any spam.

Just one caveat - the default on blocking/deleting blocked emails is to "bounce" them, pretending that the mailbox doesn't exist. This is a complete waste of time and is best turned off since 1) if the sender is monitoring spam being read, they'll see that the bounces are not immediate and know that they have "got a live one", or 2) the sender i the email headers isn't the real sender just some poor schmuck who's account has been hijacked or who's email address the g1ts are using so they will get the bounce mails when they aren't the guilty party.

Last Modified By chris.maddock at 22 Feb 2013 - 11:01 AM
dcash29
dcash29  81870 forum posts England
22 Feb 2013 - 10:58 AM

I fear the only option is to set up a new address

robthecamman
22 Feb 2013 - 11:02 AM

try changeing password.: wouldnt touch talktalk aol or tiscali with barge pole Smile

Jestertheclown
22 Feb 2013 - 11:02 AM

Gmail and Thunderbird.

I hardly ever see a spam message.

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6510 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 11:16 AM

Quote: Try changeing password.: wouldnt touch talktalk aol or tiscali with barge pole Smile

I have used AOL for over fifteen years and the first problem I encountered was this week, I then found I had a problem in the local BT exchange so I don't think it was an AOL problem, AOL even sent an engineer out to my address free of charge to check things out so I can only speak highly of them.

chris.maddock
22 Feb 2013 - 11:17 AM

Quote: Try changeing password.:

How is changing your password going to stop spammers sending you their rubbish?

robthecamman
22 Feb 2013 - 12:11 PM

if you open spam your showing its a live mailbox.then its your own fault just delete em Smile

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 12:38 PM

Had my email from Talktalk a few days ago for the same thing and as Pete did verified it, however as it doesn't cover my third party router it did really apply to me.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 6:43 PM

Talktalk router upgrade ? I don`t use there routers, I have two of them now, still in there boxes.

But I have not seen an email.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.