Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Tamron - Nikon AI adaptor

snapbandit e2
10 2.2k 3 Northern Ireland
5 Sep 2008 9:24PM
Has anyone seen/used/have any info (useful preferably!) on these adaptors;
CAMPLUS

I am looking for an adaptor to fit my Tamron MF SP lenses to my D200, the existing Tamron AD2 mount ( AI-E ) has packed up & it is very difficult to obtain the correct Tamron one.

specifically, if anyone has used or has one of the above adaptors;
Is it for fitting the old MF adaptall (2) lenses to Nik DSLR ?
&
There seems to be no aperture connection as far as I can see, so, does it keep the lens in 'stop down' mode for metering/shooting?

my friend (Google!) has not come up with any relevant information & I've had no reply from emailing the seller, so thought I'd check if anyone here has any experience with them.

Many thanks for any info

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
5 Sep 2008 9:34PM
I`ve got one its yours if have an Om mount adapter Smile
snapbandit e2
5 Sep 2008 9:49PM

Quote:I`ve got one its yours if have an Om mount adapter

Cheers, Must have a search through my old OM stuff in the attic, I used to have 5 or six of them (OM) when I had the Oly Kit (OM1, 2, 2sp & 4), but i think I let everything go as a job lot many many moons ago Sad
6 Sep 2008 9:31AM
I have never used one.
It is possible an "old technology" Tamron adaptor could interfere with some of the AF contacts on modern AF-s lenses and even on an AF D lens - I do not know. As far as I know the Tamron adaptors were AIS - needed for compatibility on a D200.
Providing your Nikon lenses have an aperture ring (eliminating over 50% of the current Nikon line up) the D200 has a custom function to enable the aperture to be set using the aperture ring on a lens that has one.
snapbandit e2
6 Sep 2008 9:56AM

Quote:I have never used one.
It is possible an "old technology" Tamron adaptor could interfere with some of the AF contacts on modern AF-s lenses and even on an AF D lens - I do not know. As far as I know the Tamron adaptors were AIS - needed for compatibility on a D200.
Providing your Nikon lenses have an aperture ring (eliminating over 50% of the current Nikon line up) the D200 has a custom function to enable the aperture to be set using the aperture ring on a lens that has one.

Did you actually read my original post Leonard?, Wink
I have been using Tamron SP Manual focus lenses with my D200 for a couple of years now, the adapter has packed up (although I may have actually got it working again & will be testing it today), the adaptor is to fit Tamron Adaptall 2 manual focus lenses to Nikon Dslr which have the function to allow manual & Aperture priority mode metering. Not to fit Nikon Lenses to the camera (as they tend to fit anyway!).

Tamron made a few different adaptors for Fitting their lenses to Nikon Cameras (e.g. AIS, AI & AI-E)
Smile
Snapper e2
9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
6 Sep 2008 10:02AM
Sorry if I'm going a bit off topic here Joe, but there is an Adaptall website that is looking for photos of all the different mounts. Your AI-E is a new one on me, so even if you don't get it working again the website might appreciate a photo to help others?

Now back to the question ...........
snapbandit e2
6 Sep 2008 10:10AM

Quote:Sorry if I'm going a bit off topic here Joe, but there is an Adaptall website that is looking for photos of all the different mounts. Your AI-E is a new one on me, so even if you don't get it working again the website might appreciate a photo to help others?

Now back to the question ...........

I'll take a couple of snaps of it later, when I get home from work & send them there. The AI-E adaptor seems almost identical to the AI adaptor but without the 'prongs', & a lot harder to find!!.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
6 Sep 2008 7:20PM
Looking at the link, those adapters look like there for the original tamron lenses and pre adaptal 2. The adaptal 2 mounts have quite a few intricate moving parts.

Pm me your address and I`ll mail it of to you, you`ll get more use out of it than me Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.