Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Tamron 70-300mm poor sharpness compared to Canon EF-s 15-85mm

John_7 e2
1 2 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 9:16AM
I have had a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 SP Di VC USD Lens for a few months. I got a Canon EF-s 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM last week. When I tested the Canon lenses I tried some of the same shots at 70 and 80mm and found the Canon was very much sharper. When I zoom in on the images the Canon retains detail, for example wood grain on a shed where the Tamron becomes very blurred.
When I get the time I will put the camera on a tripod and rerun the tests but the results were so different I donít think thatís going to even out the results.
What I am inquiring about is will this be a good way to test I will try auto focuses on and off and if the original results are reproduced is this what I should expect (which would be disappointing compared to the reviews) or do I need to get the lens calibrated. If so does anyone know how long in the UK it is likely to take as itís a bit of a pain at this time of year.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LesJD e2
2 152 Wales
17 Jun 2013 4:07PM
I've had this lens for almost a year now and I'm getting very sharp results especially at the focal lengths you mentioned .However I've also had some unexpected results with occasionally soft images which I found difficult to explain until I realised that you need to shoot within 4 secs of activating the VC. This might not be answer to your problem but it's something to think about next time you shoot with it yeah ? I'd strongly advise to test on a tripod with the VC switched off ASAP just in case you have got a dud.
25 Aug 2013 9:52AM
Just a note that I have these 2 same lenses.

I bought the tamron first and was not very impressed with it at all.
I eventually returned it to Tamron Australia who returned back to me as no fault found.

However, the results I started getting after it was returned were outstanding. Sharp as !
I now see very little difference with this and my Canon 15~85mm. If anything I'd put the Tamron as the slightly sharper of the 2
I use a canon 7D

Very happy with my Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC
Fromebridge New Member
25 Dec 2014 5:42PM
Without wishing start a new thread, I am trying to decide between the Tamron SP AF 70-300 VC etc and the equivalent Canon 70-300 IS. My son recently bought the Tamron and lent it to me. I was impressed, it is £100 cheaper in most cases, and I honestly couldn't see how the Canon could be any better, other than slimmer (!). However the Canon can be bought at under £300 if you look hard enough and I am torn between the two (on a 70D, mostly wildlife work).
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
25 Dec 2014 11:09PM
Inconsistency seems to be the main complaint that people have with third party lenses.
25 Dec 2014 11:57PM
On the point of inconsistency....
I had a major problem with my Tamron and decided to replace it ... With the same model. I was very happy to find that my new purchase was a tad sharper than the previous one.
Maybe that is the result of inconsistency in manufacture.
I would however put this lens now up against any other now... And extremely happy photographer
Gerry
26 Dec 2014 8:36AM
It is difficult to come to a conclusion without sample images and more information.
As a guide with the Tamron 1 stop down from wide open and good technique there should not be more than 10% difference in resolution - you imply much more.
Although individual lenses have individual resolution levels as do sensors the resolution in an image (what you were looking at) is limited by both lens and sensor resolution.
You need to test both lenses in good light using a good tripod and a subject not likely to result in focus error to get a fair comparison.
Often with longer zooms the problem is extra camera shake http://www.naturephotographers.net/ejp0801-1.html

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.