Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tamron or Sigma macro lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

eosdpete
eosdpete e2 Member 10eosdpete vcard United Kingdom
9 Dec 2005 - 2:07 PM

I am trying to decide which one to buy A Tamron AF 90 Di macro or the Sigma 105 F2.8 EX DG Macro ?
I will be using it with the Canon 20D,

Is any body using the Tamron and if so is it a F2.8 like the Sigma and have you put any photos on the site I could look at,
Thanks
Pete.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Dec 2005 - 2:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

randomrubble
9 Dec 2005 - 2:11 PM

check out the BJP this week, comparative test of Tamron, Sigma and the Canon 100mm on DSLRs. Summary was Canon best then Sigma with Tamron last.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2005 - 2:21 PM

I can't comment on the Tamron although I understand it is a nice lens.
I have recently bought the Sigma, but not had chance to use it due to work commitments.

Testing it out (as you do) I found it to be a nice sharp lens.
The AF hunts a bit, but you wouldn't use AF for macro work anyway.

Plenty of people on here using both lenses, so a look around the gallery should give you an idea of how they perform.

Doug ;o)

maljohns
maljohns  10431 forum posts Wales
9 Dec 2005 - 2:28 PM

I recently bought the Tamron - results are good, but it has this annoying push/pull arrangement for switching from manual to auto focus. I find I keep knocking it to auto by accident.

Mal.

eosdpete
9 Dec 2005 - 2:37 PM

Thanks for your replies, I will keep locking at the gallery and check out the reviews,

Pete.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2005 - 2:44 PM

Pete there is a review of the Tamron in the reviews section on here.

Doug ;o)
p.s.
Spell check keeps wanting to change Tamron to Tampon!
:oD

eosdpete
9 Dec 2005 - 2:57 PM

Thanks Doug, been a looked at that and think I might end up going for the Sigma 105 as it looks like the tamron might have the build quality of a tampon Smile !!

Pete.

MarkyMarc
MarkyMarc  9498 forum posts Canada
9 Dec 2005 - 3:52 PM

The Tamron 90mm is a fantastic lens. I have the non Di version. I don't find the push/pull annoying in the least. If you need some examples look in my PF, I've got loads of shots taken with it as I use it the most out of all my lenses.

Marc

IanA
IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2005 - 3:59 PM

Not a lot to choose between the two for optical quality but the sigma is made from more solid materials. They both have a push/pull mechanism and slow AF which is inherent in most macro lenses.

HIH

Ian
Wink)

MarkyMarc
MarkyMarc  9498 forum posts Canada
9 Dec 2005 - 4:04 PM

Whichever lens you choose I wouldn't be too concerned about the AF as far as macro shots are concerned, you'll want to use MF anyway.

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2005 - 4:16 PM

buy the older sigma macros the ex , they are built almost to canon quality rotating not push pull and very sharp, often shows up the problems on the camera body ie dirt on the sensor!!!
I bought the 180 macro from sigma and its a great tool

stevemelvin
stevemelvin e2 Member 8675 forum postsstevemelvin vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2005 - 1:03 AM

I have the Tamron macro lens - the version before the current Di version. It's fantastic - probably my favourite lens (all the rest are Canon) for my SLR gear. Solid, well built and sharp as the proverbial cliche. The push/pull feature is fine - it's never been a problem for me.

To be honest I think the Sigma is very similar, both in design and quality. It should probably boil down to whether you want 90mm or 105mm. They are both f2.8 max aperture.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
10 Dec 2005 - 1:12 AM

I seem to recall that Niall Benvie used the Tamron, so it's certainly a decent lens. But that might in part be because the Nikon equivalent is very expensive.

Here's a review:

100mm macro lens reviews

The conclusion is that the Tamron has the best optics. But, sample variation might explain why the BJP preferred the Canon.

As a Nikon user I would choose the Tamron over the Nikon, as the latter is very expensive. But in a Canon mount, the choice is harder. A mint used Canon would be my preference, as Canon lenses should have no compatibility issues with future Canon bodies, and they hold their value better. But you're not me.

As an aside I doubt you can tell anything useful about a lens from the photos on this site as they are too small, and the user will be the main determinant of how good an image looks.

Leif

solkku
solkku  925 forum posts
10 Dec 2005 - 2:41 AM

I myself was in the choice between Sigma 105mm, Tamron 90mm and Canon 100mm for my 20D a while ago. Finally I ended up buying the Canon 100mm one. All I can say I haven't regretted that choice one bit! The USM is really fast and silent. Also the macro quality on the Canon is much better than what I expected. I have some macros in my portfolio, if you want you can check them out.

Paavo

eosdpete
10 Dec 2005 - 2:42 AM

I like this forum, you ask a question and get lots of great information and opinions,
Thanks evryone for that and I have taken it all on board and it will help me decide,
I have to say that I have two sigma lenses now a 170-500 apo and the 55-200 DC and have no problems with either, the only Canon lens is the 18-55 kit lens which I think is ok for what it is and never having owned a proper canon lens (Price) I think you could say that you don't miss what you've never had, thats not to say i wouldn't love to own an L series canon lens,
That will have to go on my wish list for now,

So I'm going to look at some second hand canon macro lenses for now and if I can't find one it will be a sigma 105,

Thanks again for your help,

Pete.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.