Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tamron 150-600mm Lens F/5-6.3 Di VC USD

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53513 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2014 - 5:45 PM

Initial reviews are starting to surface about this lens as well as the tamron site link - SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD

I hope they can do it well and many more of us can try a bird on a stick image without resorting to a hide and patience etc.
Canon rumours suggest it might be $1000.
At 30cm it would look quite impressive next to my sigma 70-300mm.

I look forward to some real reviews.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jan 2014 - 5:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NeilS
NeilS e2 Member 7823 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
2 Jan 2014 - 5:58 PM

Review currently on canonrumours website , haven't read it as yet

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53513 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2014 - 9:24 AM

The review came through finally as the review authors website had gone offline as there was so much interest that the ISP thought a DDOS attack was happening.

Quote:
Optical of this lens are good , very less focus breathing and it does not need to focus a lot after zoom in and out . tele at 600mm @ F6.3 does have viggenting but it improve a lot stopping down to F8, also sharpness and contrast does improve a little bit after stop down to F8 . But no significant improvement stopping down more.

I did not always shooting wildlife , but this really a good lens which worth every penny . You can get more than it worth if you really need a lens like this within that price. Focus speed are good , Optical Performance are good enough . VC was a little but useless in this case because you cannot freeze the target with VC although i can shoot with about 1/125 at 600mm with VC . I using 1/400 or 1/640 try to freeze the target , some smaller birds need higher like 1/1250 .
Focus speed and Optical performance may not able to match up canon 500mm F4 and 600mm F4 expensive havy prime cannon but it landing top tier performance in 1000-1500 USD range . I did try CANON 70 200 F2.8 II with a 2x TC but it cannot match this lens cause that 600mm reach was impressive , for people who shooting in wildlife and they told me 7D with canon 500mm F4 with 1.4 TC still not tele enough. Although i always use this lens in 600mm during the test , zoom was a good function because sometimes it is hard to find the brid with 600mm (just like sniper hard to looking for target with zoom in )

Final comment :
A good value lens appear in the market ! 600mm reach , F6.3 does not a matter for DSLR nowdays which have good ISO , fast focus , light weight (1.9KG with tripod mount), also a very long warranty period (3-6 years as i remember in Hong Kong ) . I am very impressive with this lens .

I write chinese review cause the website are mainly in chinese , but i made this english version for english reader because this lens was not launch at oversea , sorry for my english again and hope you can understand what i said =D

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2014 - 9:36 AM

Looks like Tamron have a rather special lens on their hands from reading the review

I wonder if they will ever do an m4/3rds version, just imagine, 300-1200mm eq FOV - Oh yeah! Grin

ChrisJD
ChrisJD  486 forum posts Scotland
3 Jan 2014 - 9:55 PM

Looks good! Dunno if it's cos I've had a couple of glasses of wine but I could not stop laughing at the review...... ah, it doesn't take much...Blush

ChrisJD
ChrisJD  486 forum posts Scotland
3 Jan 2014 - 10:34 PM

I should add of course that the reviewer's English is infinitely better than my Chinese.....

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72117 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2014 - 11:30 PM

Patience and hide still needed for 600mm Smile

DenisG
DenisG  11 England
22 Jan 2014 - 10:37 AM

Just had mine a few days and the good old British weather has not been too helpful at the moment so only a couple of hours taking photo's with it so far. Learning a new lens AND camera together I'm finding a little difficult. Getting the best camera settings to suit the lens and how I use it is a little more difficult than I thought. Having said that I am extremely happy with the results so far and it is sharp at 600mm. AF on my camera is really fast but the comparison is against the 200-500 version on a Sony A700 so I guess it would be!.

Here's one of my early pics:

1d3-0279.jpg

Looking good so far methinks.

Denis.

DenisG
DenisG  11 England
22 Jan 2014 - 11:04 AM

Ouch, forgot epz has size limit for photo's, sorry.

Denis.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72301 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
22 Jan 2014 - 11:48 AM

We posted our detailed review yesterday:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-di-vc-usd-lens-rev...

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
griz11
griz11 e2 Member griz11 vcard United States
27 Jan 2014 - 4:44 PM

I have one on pre-order. Hope its released before the bald eagles nesting near here are gone for the year.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2014 - 5:01 PM

Think I'll be putting in a call to my contact soon, I'm eager to try this one Grin

JackAllTog
27 Jan 2014 - 5:04 PM

Quote: Think I'll be putting in a call to my contact soon, I'm eager to try this one Grin

I really liked your last review series, hope you get to post some more sample/examples ...

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2014 - 6:37 PM

Thanks Stuart. If the last two SP series lenses I've tested are anything to go by, it should be a damn good lens for the money. Their 70-200 is the sharpest I've used (even caused me to sell my Nikon).
Gotta say though, the 150-600 is not much of a looker, but it will certainly open doors for those on a budget if it works well.

fcast
fcast  1
30 Jan 2014 - 6:16 PM

Just ordered mine i also have a Tamron sp di vc 70-300 mm lens which is great with a much better vibration control
than the image stabilizer my Canon 100-400 has, and if the new Tamron is as good as some say
my Canon could well be redundant

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.