Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Tamron 17-50 V Canon 17-85

davey e2
10 246 England
5 Oct 2009 8:25AM
I have a Canon 17-85 but I am considering buying the Tamron 17-50.
Does anyone have any experience using these lenses for landscape photography.
I know from reviews that the Tamron is very good wide open i.e. f/2.8.
But how does it compare with the Canon 17-85 at f/11 or f/16 throughout it`s zoom range.

Thanks in anticipation.
Davey

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2009 9:48AM
Davey

check out this site here

Used this site when deciding between the 17-85 canon, and the Sigma 17-70mm
5 Oct 2009 8:43PM
Davey
I bought the Tamron 17-50 instead of the 17-85 Canon. Canon construction is flimsy. Aperture is variable, not the constant f2.8 of the Tamron. The Canon does have the advantage in zoom range covered, but image quality is, I believe, poorer. I am more than happy with my choice.
jondf e2
8 2.7k
13 Oct 2009 2:29PM

Quote:Davey
I bought the Tamron 17-50 instead of the 17-85 Canon. Canon construction is flimsy. Aperture is variable, not the constant f2.8 of the Tamron. The Canon does have the advantage in zoom range covered, but image quality is, I believe, poorer. I am more than happy with my choice.

Yes, I'd take the Tamron's f2.8 over the Canon's IS and longer reach. And some copies of the Canon tend to be a bit on the soft side. Be aware also that neither lens can be used on a full frame body.
johneh e2
7 6 England
10 Oct 2012 8:48PM
I used the Canon 17-85 over about 4 years until it died on me, (the dreaded error 99). I have subsequently used both the Tamron 17-50 non vc and the 17-50vc, eventually settling (rather unfashionably) on the vc version.

Whilst the Canon can, without mistake, come up with some great results and has the excellent USM - it is weaker than the Tamron in several key areas :-

- The Canon displays worse distortion, especially at the wide end.
- The Canon shows far more CA.
- The Canon's build quality is very poor considering the price of the lens.
- The Canons variable, and slow, max. aperture makes it unsuitable for moving subjects.

In short, I find the Tamron superior

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.