Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tamron 18-200mm vs 18-270mm

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Cookie_Monster
    Cookie_Monster e2 Member 2Cookie_Monster vcard Germany1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Oct 2013 - 6:12 AM

Contemplating which one to get. The aim is to have an allrounder which allows me to take land-city-seascapes as well as close ups/details to avoid carrying all the gear on short trips.
    Any thoughts?
    Is the 'higher' model worth the extra spent?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Oct 2013 - 6:12 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gala
    gala  1632 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Oct 2013 - 8:48 AM

In my experience, the 18-270 isn't that sharp as higher end and not quite as good as some of the Nikon kit lenses. However, (and this is a very big however), mine has been across the world, up mountains and is very robust. The distortion isn't that huge and I would say that it is worth it for just having the one lens with a very big range that seems to be able to take the knocks.

I've not tried the 18-200 so can't comment on that.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123126 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Oct 2013 - 9:35 AM

If you've not seen them, both are reviewed on EPZ here.

http://www.ephotozine.com/reviews/interchangeable-lenses-46/p-0

Ken

Chant57
    Chant57 e2 Member 8372 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Oct 2013 - 1:35 PM

I have the 18-270 and bought it based onThis road test article on ephotozine. It's a very capable lens and great value for money.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Oct 2013 - 6:01 PM

Here's some more info from that road test (which I ran) that might help you.

Noteworthy posts about the 18-270
    Why the 18-270 may be the perfect travel lens

It's worth having one. Honestly.

Cookie_Monster
    Cookie_Monster e2 Member 2Cookie_Monster vcard Germany1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Oct 2013 - 8:47 PM

Love the London sample photos as I've been there many times and that makes a photo of the Gherkin taken from the London Eye so much meaningful! Amazing shot.

Funnily enough I just traveled to Rome this summer so the second review with the photos was a perfect example as well.

I think I made up my mind.
    (Luckily I have a supportive and generous husband. Smile)

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2013 - 10:09 AM

The 18-270mm is light and rugged. I love this lens and bought the latest version after reading discreetphoton's blog. One of my best purchases.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 19 Oct 2013 - 10:09 AM
    seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 7557 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    25 Oct 2013 - 6:00 PM

The 18-270 is good but quality seems to be variable - Tamron's quality control seems to be patchy. If you're lucky enough to get a good copy it's great, otherwise... I tried one in my local shop - very unhappy with the results. I ended up with the latest Sigma 18-250mm, very lightweight, small (62mm) filter size and a great walk-around do-it-all lens. I thought the build quality was way better than the Tamron.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.