Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tamron 180 Macro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Peter_West
    4 Feb 2013 - 6:32 AM

Hi All. Thinking of buying this lenses Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3,5 Di LD[IF] MACRO 1:1
    For macro work has anybody used one and what do people think of it, would love to buy the canon 180, but sadly the purse stings wonít stretch that far, with me also wanting a Canon 16-35 mk11, Iím using Canon 600d with it, Thanks Pete

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Feb 2013 - 6:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Feb 2013 - 7:58 AM

We've reviewed it twice once in 2005 and once in 2010 with different reviewers
    Tamron SP AF 180mm f/3.5 2005 review
    Tamron SP AF 180mm f/3.5 2010 review

Last Modified By Pete at 4 Feb 2013 - 7:58 AM
    Cagey75
    Cagey75  340 forum posts Ireland
    8 Feb 2013 - 6:23 PM

I looked into this one recently. I sold off my Nikon 105, wanted something longer which would double as a nice long portrait/tele lens too. I opted for the Sigma 150mm 2.8 OS in the end. The tamron is extremely slow to focus, fine if all you're going to do is macro wit it, as you'll be manual focusing mostly. But if you want to use it for other types of shooting too, it's going to frustrate. Sigma also have a 180mm, an older non-OS one, which is pretty cheap - and a new one with OS. Their older non-OS 150mm can be got for pretty cheap too. Have a look into those options before deciding.

Peter_West
    8 Feb 2013 - 6:50 PM

Hi Cagey. Thanks for info, it's not just for macro, truth is only reason i'm going for a long focal is trying to get close to butterfies and dragon files without them flying off, will look uothe sigma one now, Cheers Pete

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85908 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2013 - 7:44 PM

Can you stretch to the Canon 100mm IS Peter?

No cumbersome tripod needed, so minimal disturbance to the subjectSmile

A tad of field craft thrown in and you are halfway thereWink

Adrian

Peter_West
    8 Feb 2013 - 8:50 PM

Hi Tomcat, Yes can stretch to the 100mm, have been looking at this lense previously, as for field craft lets not go there, lol, i do a lot of fishing and the amount of times iv'e sat by the waters edge and wished i'd have my camera with me, just looked at your portfolio some really nice pictures with the 100mm Thanks Peter

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2013 - 1:08 PM

Quote: A tad of field craft thrown in and you are halfway there

That and a good dollop of lateral thinking has never made me feel the need to go longer than 100mm

annettep38
    annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2013 - 4:04 PM

i had this lens, the optics are good, see my PF before may 2012 or Jennifer Taggart.
    BUT there is a severe quality warning, please read this here about a big problem.
    http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/180mm-macro-sticking-aperture-----97715
    in short, i bought a 200mm nikkor instead and have posted about 140 pictures taken with this lens since.
    yes, it is good to have a 200mm for butterflies!

Peter_West
    10 Feb 2013 - 1:36 PM

Hi All Been looking at the Canon 100mm very impressed with some of results, on not to bad second hand on ebay, might go for one of these, Wink

Cagey75
    Cagey75  340 forum posts Ireland
    10 Feb 2013 - 6:00 PM

Quote: Hi Cagey. Thanks for info, it's not just for macro, truth is only reason i'm going for a long focal is trying to get close to butterfies and dragon files without them flying off, will look uothe sigma one now, Cheers Pete

Sigma also have a 180mm, they have 2 actually. The older version without OS and the newer one with OS. The reviews on both are very good. The OS version is obiously more expensive though. I was getting it but the 150mm with OS was 2/3 the price. I can live without the extra 30mm, but for your needs 180 would be great.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Feb 2013 - 8:15 PM

*shameless self promotion*

How does a Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro second hand sound (Canon mount of course)? If interested send me a pm Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.