Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

TAMRON 28-300mm 3.5 - 6.3 for PENTAX model 185D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Jimmy_Dean0
    9 Jan 2010 - 4:01 AM

Hello,

Anyone have advice for a newbie regarding this lens on a Pentax K-x? I am looking for something in the 250 - 300 mm range, without breaking the bank Smile.

Thanks in advance.

JD

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jan 2010 - 4:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014486 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2010 - 4:39 AM

I read a review of that lens a couple years ago by a travel photographer. I can't say it was the Pentax version, but I do remember he said he liked it as an all round , light, small travel lens. He gave a favourable opinion of the IQ and performance, considering the zoom length.

Welcome aboard, by the way. Calgary here.

DennySmile

Last Modified By StrayCat at 9 Jan 2010 - 4:40 AM
    Jimmy_Dean0
    9 Jan 2010 - 4:50 AM

Thanks Denny! Appreciate the feedback. I have been searching Google but there's not much available on the 185D. I found a little bit of info, but there's not a lot. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow, and take a few shots to test it out before laying down any $$ Smile.

I'm in Waterdown, just outside Hamilton, Ont. Have a good one!

JD

gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6519 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2010 - 6:05 PM

I have this lens in a Canon mount ok its never going to be as good as my L series lens but at a fraction of the price and weight its a good all rounder and I have had some very good results with it.

gary

Last Modified By gary_d at 9 Jan 2010 - 6:05 PM
    robertbarryhall

Quote: Hello,

Anyone have advice for a newbie regarding this lens on a Pentax K-x? I am looking for something in the 250 - 300 mm range, without breaking the bank .

Thanks in advance.

JD

robertbarryhall

The pentax/Tamron 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 Di-II. (same lens but Tamron with a 6 yr guarantee) is priced right at about $375 with excellent reviews as a great walk around everyday use lens at low weight and compact. I expect it to produce excellent results for most of my requirements (90%) except for extreme macro and Telephoto.

Jimmy_Dean0
    10 Jan 2010 - 3:25 AM

Hello All,

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions. I spent the day today trying a variety of lenses. Here's the list:

Used Tamron 28-300 - 185D: $200.00 - not at all what I was looking for. The IQ was just not there at the max tele end - very soft (almost seemed out of focus), and lots of colour aberration. I had anticipated this to a certain degree, but had to see it for myself.

New Tamron AF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2: $229.00 - sharp photos, but strong purple fringing at the long end. I liked this lens, a lot, and if not for the fringing, I would have bought this one.

New Pentax smc DA 55-300 mm F4 - 5.8ED: $500.00 - beautiful, clear, sharp photos - no fringing - gorgeous! But unfortunately currently out of my budget Sad.

SIGMA 70-300MM 4-5.6 APO DG MACRO: $319.00 - Image quality was comparable to the Pentax smc DA 55-300 - crisp, clear photos, with no fringing - and within my budget. I was impressed enough to put my money into this lens.

I have taken a few test shots today, and will post some once I get something worth posting Smile

Thanks again to everyone,

JD

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jan 2010 - 3:12 PM

Quote: SIGMA 70-300MM 4-5.6 APO DG MACRO: $319.00 - Image quality was comparable to the Pentax smc DA 55-300 - crisp, clear photos, with no fringing - and within my budget. I was impressed enough to put my money into this lens.

I have taken a few test shots today, and will post some once I get something worth posting

will be interested to see the results as I'm thinking of getting this lens too! Smile

Jimmy_Dean0
    10 Jan 2010 - 5:00 PM

Hi Cats_123,

Having had the lens for less than 24 hours it's difficult to make a definitive judgment - but so far I am liking it a lot Smile. I've posted one image in the gallery so far: http://www.ephotozine.com/u117299/gallery/1437069. I also have a few shots from each of the lenses I tested in a Picasa gallery here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/RobStr86/Pentax_KX_Lens_Test#. Not sure if you can really see the differences, but they are there for what it's worth Smile. They were shot in JPEG, and are straight out of the camera.
    I'll post additional shots in the gallery as time goes on.

JD

Jimmy_Dean0
    10 Jan 2010 - 8:23 PM

I managed to take a few shots today down at Lasalle Park, in Burlington. The Sigma lens was amazing (helping to make the dummy behind it look better than he really is Smile).

You can see some samples (I'll have to wait till tomorrow to post to the gallery):
    http://picasaweb.google.com/RobStr86/SundayAtLasallePark#

I did tweak some of them for exposure, but there was absolutely no fringing in any of them. I think I love this lens Smile

JD.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.