Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Tamron 28-75mm Is it really that good?

doczoc 11 773
5 Jun 2006 11:09PM
I've been stressing over whether to opt for a D200 or 30d, the available lenses being a source of my quandary. However I've come accross this lens on Fred Miranda and it seems to be a match (or very nearly to L glass and Nikons pro lenses). I am talking optically here, there is obviously the trade off in build quality to the pro lenses. I am also aware that there are quality control issues but TBH I don't mind having to have one recalibrated by Tamron if I get to save 600+ on a pro lens.

Does anyone have this lens? Would you reccommend it?

I basically want a walkaround lens, mainly for people and reportage type shots. Most of my pic taking will be outdoors. Any users like to comment on the suitability of this lens for that purpose.

Seems to good to be true, which probably means it is.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saxon_image 10 285 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2006 11:27PM
I have used this lens for over a year on both a D70 and an F80. The quality is stunning for the price - very sharp, good contrast and very little distortion. OK, so you don't get the build quality of pro glass but look at the savings. Several recent shots in my portflio have been taken on this lens.

Definitely recommended.

Paul
doczoc 11 773
5 Jun 2006 11:35PM
Wow Paul those are stunningly sharp. How do you rate it in terms of AF, I want a fast AF for my purposes. I've read it can hunt occasionally in low light. Have you found this?
saxon_image 10 285 United Kingdom
6 Jun 2006 1:40AM
Autofocus is not outstandingly fast but meets my needs - might not be quite good enough for motorsport but finae more most purposes.

Paul
doczoc 11 773
6 Jun 2006 5:34AM
I don't want it for action shots, but people, events, weddings that sort of thing...
MarkyMarc 9 498 Canada
6 Jun 2006 7:15AM
I have one. It's not a bad lens at all for the price. It doesn't have that 'indestructible' feel like L lenses do but it's really sharp. The AF is not bad either, I've always found it fine for what I need. The only real problem I have with mine is that 28mm on a crop sensor is not all that wide.
NikH 10 524 England
6 Jun 2006 8:06AM
Have one as a walkabout on my 300D - does everything I need of it, and the constant F2.8 makes it worth having for me. It's also nice and light. Have already got 10-22 so wide end is not an issue for me. Wouldn't ever compare it to "L" glass, but then horses for courses - as a walkabout this is good enough for what I need out of it - if I was planning on using it for poster sized prints then I'd maybe consider top end glass, but as I'm not.... As said above, not "L" glass build quality either.

No issues with focussing or sharpness for me. Again, some pics in my pf taken with this lens.

Bear in mind it's also only good on crop cams, so no good if you upgrade to, say, a 5D in future.
Centurion 10 1.2k England
6 Jun 2006 8:17AM
Have a look at the Sigma 24-70 2.8. Got great reviews and is wider than the tokina. Only downside is the huge filter thread.

Gav
MarkyMarc 9 498 Canada
6 Jun 2006 8:20AM

Quote:Bear in mind it's also only good on crop cams, so no good if you upgrade to, say, a 5D in future.

Actually it's full frame, so good on any sensor size or 35mm film.
doczoc 11 773
6 Jun 2006 8:50AM

Quote:Have a look at the Sigma 24-70 2.8. Got great reviews and is wider than the tokina. Only downside is the huge filter thread.

Blinking eck, I thought I'd finally settled on the Tamron and you come up with this? Need a trip to the camera shop to compare them I think!
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
6 Jun 2006 8:52AM
I have a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 for my Canon EOS 300. It give nice results for me.
Centurion 10 1.2k England
6 Jun 2006 10:04AM
Read the review on Fred Miranda forums for the Sigma.

But its always a good idea to try before you buy. There can be alot of difference in quality between the same lens.

Gav
john p 10 100
6 Jun 2006 12:47PM
Great lens, lovely colour and very sharp and contrasty, autofocus a little slow on 350d but much better on 30d - maybe because of larger battery helping peak power demand.
sold mine mint on ebay to help fund 25-105l and only got 180.00. So bargains are available. highly reccomended.
TimJ 11 482 2 United Kingdom
6 Jun 2006 10:59PM
Hi David,

Yes I have this lens for my 300D and it's a brilliant lens. I've hardly used any other lenses this last year.

I did a review on the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 that you might find useful. (Sorry I couldn't find the original eopinions link).

The colours produced by this lens are slightly warmer than other lenses I've used but this is easily corrected where required.

Hope this helps,

Tim
gibbsy 11 403 Wales
8 Jun 2006 6:42AM
I've used the Tamron 28-75 for three years now and I cannot fault it. I use it mainly for landscapes and at f11 to 16 it is tack sharp. I going to have a look at the new Tamron 17-50 when my local store gets one in.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.