Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tamron 60mm F2 macro vs Canon 100mm F2.8 macro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    vickylou
    vickylou  327 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 May 2011 - 4:31 PM

I am looking for a lens to accompany a eos 600d, I canont afford two lenses and therefore am looking for a lens which will be used for 50:50 macroTongueortrait. Can anyone recommend which way I should go? I like the extra working distance of the Canon (don't want to disturb the bugs) but the F2 for portraits of the Tamron (mainly my 2 year old). But I have seen a second hand Canon 60mm 2.8 for 269 but would i notice the loss of F2 or working distance?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 May 2011 - 4:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

inntrykk
    inntrykk  3 Canada
    26 May 2011 - 4:40 PM

I just bought a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. It was more reasonably priced than in the store locally. I also bought a Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens for $120 in the store. It's a GREAT lens for portraits and was so affordable. So for less than the amount of the Canon macro in the store I got both.
    I probably am not really answering your question though.

vickylou
    26 May 2011 - 4:49 PM

ok it was meant to say macro : portrait

inntrykk
    inntrykk  3 Canada
    26 May 2011 - 5:42 PM

I guessed so, but the sticking out tongue face made me smile.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    26 May 2011 - 5:59 PM

i don't think you can beat the canon 100mm is usm macro lens for its focal length is just right for me not too close not too far and the f stop is good too plus you can add 2-3 stops on that with the added Image stabilisation.

mikehit
    mikehit  56344 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    26 May 2011 - 7:18 PM

If you can afford the IS version...

vickylou
    26 May 2011 - 7:20 PM

I am afraid the L series are wayyyyyyy out of my price range, I would love one though!

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014721 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 May 2011 - 7:49 PM

Quote: I guessed so, but the sticking out tongue face made me smile.

Welcome aboard Terri.

Denny

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014721 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 May 2011 - 7:54 PM

There are a couple of alternatives; Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro. I just got the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro on ebay, brand new, for $525.00; thought it was a good bargain. I really like the lens, although it's a bit long for portraits. The Tamron is very popular as a portrait lens.

vickylou
    27 May 2011 - 4:36 PM

I didn't like the fact that the lens extends in the Tamron 90mm f2.8, i don't want to disturb those bugs!

Julian
    Julian  976 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2011 - 7:50 PM

The Tamron mentioned by StrayCat is excellent with optics rivalling the Canon EF macro 2.8f 100 . I know you asked after the 60 mm Tamm but as you are considering the brand and comparing it to the 100 Canon, it might be worth looking at the following and then browsing the images like this one of a Glanville (fritillary butterfly) in this user's pf. glanvilleWink

Last Modified By Julian at 5 Jun 2011 - 7:52 PM
    Richard_OSullivan

hi i have the Tamron SP AF90mmF/2.8 Di macro 1:1 and for the money i think it really is a great option. I understand you don't like the fact it extends but I haven't really found it to be much of a problem and the quality is great.
    click here to see one of my first pictures taken with this lens
    its a photo of a preying mantis that i took on holiday in cyprus

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.