Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tamron 70-210mm - shows double reflection of moon (ghosting?) pls advise?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Aenima
    Aenima  2 England
    2 Apr 2013 - 5:59 AM

worse--ghosting.jpg

Hi,
    after trying a tamron 70-210 zoom lens out on my canon 300d (bought v cheaply as i'm a total newbie at this) I noticed that close up shots of the moon showed 'ghost' moons in most of the images.

In daylight it seems fine - aside from the dust! Wink but when experimenting on the moon I got a double moon, one more 'ghostlike' than the 'real' moon. The pic shows the worst one and an overexposed moon, the less the exposure is overblown the less the ghosting seems to be - how normal is this?

The first thing I thought of was to ask the nice, knowledgeable folks here at e-photozine if the problem is me or if the lens is either broken or just cheap - obviously, at less than a tenner its cheap, but you know what I mean Tongue Blush Grin

Thanks upfront for any input, Tongue

Regards

Aenima

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Apr 2013 - 5:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Apr 2013 - 8:18 AM

wow, you got 2 moons where are you GrinGrin ?

widtink
    widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Apr 2013 - 8:19 AM

Hi there if its fine in daylight its probably not the lens . These look like pics taken through double glazing maybe ??

Rod

Aenima
    Aenima  2 England
    2 Apr 2013 - 12:29 PM

lol

Um, no. I was outdoors with a tripod using timer to take the pictures - hence the mild confusion Tongue

Its the wrong way round from the actual moon so a reflection inside the lens maybe?

Thanks for the replies Smile

Regards

Aenima

mikehit
    mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Apr 2013 - 12:39 PM

I would guess it is happening in daylight but the ambient background light swamps the reflection.
    Do you have a protective filter on the lens?

Aenima
    Aenima  2 England
    2 Apr 2013 - 12:49 PM

There was a skylight 1b but after the first ghost I removed it, thinking along the same lines. A brief web search afterwards resulted in mentions of internal reflections in the lens and when the moon was less overexposed the problem was less obvious, but still...... bit concerned as i love night images.

Regards

Aenima

Aenima
    Aenima  2 England
    2 Apr 2013 - 1:11 PM

One more thing,

My canon is unable to autofocus due to that clip that works the smaller mirror - it happens alot it seems - so its fixed up inside the main mirror to keep it from blocking the sensor. It means manual focus only when using lenses, though it never was a problem shooting the moon through my telescope.....

And the settings were quite poorly set by me (Av mode?) which is why the moon is desperately burned out - can these things help to explain the issue?

Aenima

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.